Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Tad Stones on RoJ & KoT
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tad Stones on RoJ & KoT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Tad Stones on RoJ & KoT Reply with quote

Animation World Magazine has an interview with Tad Stones; the first three pages have to do with his work on RoJ and KoT:

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2191

I've read a few other interviews with him, but I didn't know most of this stuff. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I don't think 90 percent of the Disney movies needed sequels. It just proves what people would go through these days to make a quick buck.
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Now at the time I was told that Peter Schneider, who was in charge of Feature Animation was at a meeting with Michael Eisner. Peter said, 'You shouldn't do sequels, their quality hurts the Disney reputation,' and Michael said, 'I'm not sure we should be doing these either.' The next part of the meeting was, 'It cost $3.5 million to make and made over $100 million. Well, what should the next one be?' "

As I was reading that, I was actually about to give Eisner some credit... then I read how he changed his opinion about reputation just based on the money it made. As much as I love RoJ and KoT, it somehow just seemed really pathetic to change his opinion about the company's reputation based simply off of DTV release grosses, which IMHO have little to do with actual quality.

About Japan and Australia splitting the tasks... it's always been quite obvious to me when it changes from one studio to another - the look of the characters changed a lot. I always wondered at the fact that they didn't coordinate that better.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an interesting read.

I agree that this sequel thing has gotten way out of hand. Every movie seems to need a sequel of some sorts now, and it's getting rather annoying. I don't mind the sequels all that much, but I think that Disney should at least stop making so many, and instead perhaps focus more on the individual quality versus quantity. I'm sure (well, hoping anyway) that more people would prefer to buy a great DTV like Lion King 1 1/2 versus a terrible, just all over blah DTV like Pocahontas 2.

I also completely agree with the section of the article involving the different animation studios. I hate when it's obvious when animators switch (I'm thinking of the trial sequence of KOT here- it goes from looking fantastic to looking terrible as soon as Iago shows up).
Calluna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfkirsten wrote:
As I was reading that, I was actually about to give Eisner some credit... then I read how he changed his opinion about reputation just based on the money it made. As much as I love RoJ and KoT, it somehow just seemed really pathetic to change his opinion about the company's reputation based simply off of DTV release grosses, which IMHO have little to do with actual quality.

Eh, well... I don't think that doing any sequels at all are what hurt them: it was doing too many at once and flooding the market, so that Disney was competing with itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
Eh, well... I don't think that doing any sequels at all are what hurt them: it was doing too many at once and flooding the market, so that Disney was competing with itself.

That's true... I think my bone to pick with that bit of the article, though, was more about how the value Eisner placed in the company's reputation suddenly changed as soon as he found out they made a lot of money. I mean, from a business standpoint, I completely understand. However, from a more personal standpoint, it just seems like saying you believe in one value... but suddenly don't care about it when it benefits you to act against that value. If that makes any sense at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum