Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Fairy tales linked to abusive relationships
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fairy tales linked to abusive relationships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Fairy tales linked to abusive relationships Reply with quote

I think this might go under the miscellaneous category since it's not exactly Aladdin related or Disney, but I found this very funny:

Yahoonews.com wrote:
LONDON (AFP) - Young girls who enjoy classic romantic fairy tales like "Cinderella" and "Beauty and the Beast" are at greater risk of becoming victims of violent relationships in later life, a British researcher says.

A study of both parents of primary school children and women who have been involved in domestic abuse claims than those who grew up reading fairy tales are likely to be more submissive as adults.

Susan Darker-Smith, a graduate student who wrote the academic paper, said she found many abuse victims identified with characters in famous children's literature and claimed the stories provide "templates" of dominated women.

A more senior academic at the University of Derby said the topic was sure to spark debate but merited further research.

"They believe if their love is strong enough they can change their partner's behaviour," Darker-Smith said. "Girls who have listened to such stories as children tend to become more submissive in their future relationships."

The research, conducted in Leicester in the east of England, is to be presented to the International Congress of Cognitive Therapy in Gothenburg, Sweden, next month.

Her study, entitled "The Tales We Tell Our Children: Overconditioning of Girls to Expect Partners to Change", will be discussed by many of the world's most influential therapists.

Darker-Smith said she believed younger generations exposed to television and other entertainment media may react differently and be less submissive than those weaned solely on literature.

Her work found the most popular bedtime stories for girls were "Cinderella" and "Rapunzel", while boys were more likely to hanker for "Paddington Bear" or "Thomas the Tank Engine".

Darker-Smith, a masters student in cognitive behavioural psychotherapy at the University of Derby, will also submit other abstracts to the conference, examining ideas about anorexia and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Michael Townend, senior lecturer in psychotherapy at the university said: "We know that storytelling is an important way that children form beliefs about themselves and relationships."

"Susan's work is an interesting study which is sure to spark debate, but further research is required in this area."

It's a good thing Jasmine takes no sh*t from anyone, or else I might be messed up too Laughing
Calluna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me very much of a certain old Aladdin fan I know. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I guess it depends on what part of the stories they related to. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AladdinFan
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fairy tales linked to abusive relationships Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:

It's a good thing Jasmine takes no sh*t from anyone, or else I might be messed up too Laughing

You got that right. Thats what maks her better than most disney "heroines". I'm glad that people are begining to see the stupidy of cinderella and snow white and other films involving weak man desperate so-called heroines.
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure, ME submissive. Laughing

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Jas
Cool Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husse wrote:
Oh sure, ME submissive. Laughing
NOT!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Ask my chump mother. Rolling Eyes

Heh heh, Hello, Mom. Shocked

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasmine is awesome, and Disney made her headstrong and yeah.

I can definitely understand the BatB one.
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

I can definitely understand the BatB one.

I don't know.

The scene where Belle is nursing Beast's wounds kinda show her not taking any of Beast's sh---.
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but in the original fairytale itself, that's not the case.
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a load of ********! Mad

Hey Confused Why did the censors block that out? I only said proposterous nonsense. Laughing

Well, I still don't agree with a lot the article said. I'm not a big fan of Cinderella but I think most little girls love those stories because they like the idea of magic and princesses. Plus, the books usually come with pretty pictures. Very Happy

When I was a kid, I liked Cinderella because she was nice to animals Very Happy

But now I prefer princesses like Jasmine, who make it their life's ambition to scare men into submission. Laughing
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, please. Belle was not the least bit submissive. Rolling Eyes

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a difference between "Belle" and "Beauty" from the original story.

I know there's a huge glaring difference between "Jasmine" and the princess in Aladdin whose name changes depending upon what version you have Laughing. The one in the book was a robot Razz
persian85033
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jasmine is definitely not like that. Wink If she was she would have married one of those hateful suitors and tried to change him. VERY unlikely, at least from what I saw with Achmed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum