Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin's family
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin's family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aladdingirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Aladdin's family Reply with quote

I had just recently visited the Aladdin RPG site and read in the Character Continuity that Aladdin's mother's name was Zena and he has an uncle named Buham Yerbak. I would like to know if this is true or if the RPG members just made it up. I heard Aladdin had an uncle in one of the comics, was his name Buham Yerbak? It also said he was ten when he lost Amal, 12 when he met Abu, and 20 when he married Jasmine. Check it out: http://www.geocities.com/aladdingirls/continuity.htm
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mother issue is fanon- his mother doesn't have an official name.

As for the uncle, I don't know. I didn't even know the uncle from the comics existed until recently...
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uncle is from the first issue of the comics, I have a link to that in that other thread.

Actually, the mother's name isn't fanon exactly, it's more of an AU. In one of the comics Aladdin goes back in time and meets people who it's implied are his parents. The mother's name is Zena, but the father wasn't called Cassim (although they look pretty similar). I've heard other people theorize that they were actually his ancestors instead of his parents, but I really need to read that issue again; I'll try to scan a couple of pages later.

In the episode "The Prophet Motive" it says that Aladdin is 17, and the last time the El Katib were in Agrabah was 7 years ago, so he was probably about 10 at the time. As for how old Al and Jas were when they got married, I don't know, it depends on how long you think the series took. We know it's over a year, probably at least two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, the mother's name isn't fanon exactly, it's more of an AU. In one of the comics Aladdin goes back in time and meets people who it's implied are his parents. The mother's name is Zena, but the father wasn't called Cassim (although they look pretty similar). I've heard other people theorize that they were actually his ancestors instead of his parents, but I really need to read that issue again; I'll try to scan a couple of pages later.

Oh, heh heh... Embarassed

Oh, the things I'm missing by not having these comics.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Aladdin's family Reply with quote

aladdingirl wrote:
... 12 when he met Abu...

Well see, that's one of those "Depends on what you think" things. I think there are three different theories on when they met, and from the two that I have seen (the series and Monkey Business book) I don't think he was 12. I think he was a little older because he looks older. More like he does now. But for the sake of giving Abu and Aladdin a little history I'd he is like...15-16-ish. But, there is that Tales of Agrabah book out there. Wasn't he younger in that one? It just depends on what you like to believe. Same with Jasmine and Rajah. TOA says younger, MB says older.

calluna wrote:
In the episode "The Prophet Motive" it says that Aladdin is 17

I thought he said he lived on the streets for 17 years? Couldn't he have been a little older at the time he said that and was thinking back? That's what I got out of it. But then it makes me wonder did he mean 17 meaning from birth and living poor to when he wasn't living on the streets anymore or was he was 3 or 4 when he started living on the streets after his mom died and then spent 17 years?
Zena, Cassim and Aladdin with an uncle Buham. That's an interesting mix of names there. Boy, names and ages are tricky.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... 12 when he met Abu...

Well see, that's one of those "Depends on what you think" things. I think there are three different theories on when they met, and from the two that I have seen (the series and Monkey Business book) I don't think he was 12. I think he was a little older because he looks older. More like he does now. But for the sake of giving Abu and Aladdin a little history I'd he is like...15-16-ish. But, there is that Tales of Agrabah book out there. Wasn't he younger in that one? It just depends on what you like to believe. Same with Jasmine and Rajah. TOA says younger, MB says older.

He was really young when he met Abu in Tales from Agrabah. He was about the same age as Jasmine was when she met Rajah, so I'd go for 7 or 8 there. I think the only Abu meeting Aladdin theory that could really be accepted as fact would be the series explaination, unless, of course, you're ignoring the series all together. The series should get the highest canon priority, IMO.

Quote:
...But then it makes me wonder did he mean 17 meaning from birth and living poor to when he wasn't living on the streets anymore or was he was 3 or 4 when he started living on the streets after his mom died and then spent 17 years?

I question that as well. I'm one of the people that likes to make Aladdin older during KOT (and extend the series quite a bit), so I think the episode took place really early in the series (I like to juggle the episode order sometimes- the way we got them isn't even accurate, so why not?).
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalukFan wrote:
I question that as well. I'm one of the people that likes to make Aladdin older during KOT (and extend the series quite a bit), so I think the episode took place really early in the series (I like to juggle the episode order sometimes- the way we got them isn't even accurate, so why not?).

Yeah, I like to think Jasmine is about 21 and Aladdin is about 23 when they got married, and the series takes place before that up until they are in the first movie.
Calluna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalukFan wrote:
He was really young when he met Abu in Tales from Agrabah. He was about the same age as Jasmine was when she met Rajah, so I'd go for 7 or 8 there. I think the only Abu meeting Aladdin theory that could really be accepted as fact would be the series explaination, unless, of course, you're ignoring the series all together. The series should get the highest canon priority, IMO.

In I remember he was about that age in Tales From Agrabah when they met, but he was a little older when they actually started living together. I really need to reread that book....

But, yeah, if you're going to take the sequels as canon you should probably accept the series as well, since they're all made by the same group of people and are internally consistent (well, most of the time Wink ). I like the books and comics and try to fit them into the continuity whenever I can, but I know I'm never going to fit everything in. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Spinelli
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie886 wrote:
SalukFan wrote:

Yeah, I like to think Jasmine is about 21 and Aladdin is about 23 when they got married, and the series takes place before that up until they are in the first movie.

To tell you the truth i thought they were teens about 19 or sumthing guess i was wrong! Embarassed
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To tell you the truth i thought they were teens about 19 or sumthing guess i was wrong! Embarassed

Personally, I like to make Aladdin 20 and Jasmine 19. Kind of random numbers, but I like them. They're...cozy.
Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalukFan wrote:
Personally, I like to make Aladdin 20 and Jasmine 19. Kind of random numbers, but I like them. They're...cozy.

That'd make the series... a little over 3 years, right?

I'm trying to keep it at 2 and a bit myself, same as it actually took to air. No particular reason, except that it seems strange for them to be engaged for that long under the circumstances, and I'll change it if the timeline ends up not working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum