Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Just seen the Beauty and the Beast Musical
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just seen the Beauty and the Beast Musical
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
IThat song really caught me off guard as I'd listened to the soundtrack before going and really wasn't expecting it (nor the quite radical lyric change for "Maison des Lunes").

What lyric change was that? *wonders if it's one I know about already or not*

A lot of big changes were made VERY early in the run of the show...I know it had toured in Houston before opening on Broadway, but it opened on Broadway in April 1994, and I saw it in June 1994, and there were ALREADY some major soundtrack changes. "Home" was a whole verse shorter and had a different lyric ("And to think I complained of that dull provincial town" was sung...that lyric was in the OST liner notes, but on the recording, the line was "But I know that I can't solve my problems going back"), and the lyrics to the "Home" reprise right before the transformation were different. (I STILL like the OST version lyrics better than the ones in the show at that moment, but eh, both sets are still good.)

I love the show, but really, I'm not a big fan of "A Change in Me"...though that CD Kirsten mentioned sounds appealing...because I like Susan Egan. I just don't like the song in the context of the show, for a few reasons.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husse there's a load of information on the Hunchback muscial (from Germany) here if you're interested;
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~paga/hunchback/index2.html
Makes interesting reading. I'd loved to have seen it!

Thanks xfkirsten. I may have to get that CD now! And her new one, Coffee Shop, with the unused Hercules song on it! (Now this is why I shouldn't browse the net, I spend too much money!)

I know what you mean about the DVDs, it could hurt the profitability of the shows in the long run. Still I can dream about them being released one day!

Disney Princess, I can't remeber it perfectly (I've been listening to the soundtrack nearly none stop since I got back from the show so I'm hearing the original versions too much) but I get the impression that in he original version Gaston and LeFou were going to see the asylum guy when the started singing the song, in this version they were already talking to him and started singing when he said he didn't see how he could be of any help.

It started something like "There's a chance I might be thwarted, and denied my honeymoon. That the pretty thing I've courted, refuses to swoon." Pretty much the whole first half of the song was altered, but I really couldn't keep track of it all!

I think Home was ok, but like you said that line was "And to think I complained of that dull provincial town". Not sure if it was shorter, but I hadn't listened to the soundtrack for a while before going (I thought it would spoil it if I listened to the whole thing the night before) so I probably wouldn't have noticed. Same for the reprise of Home at the end, though they did drop the "me" so it was just "stay with.. no don't leave me" which I thought worked really well.

Just a question though, in Gaston Reprise did your LeFou sing "plans to persecute harmless crackpots like Gaston" or "plans to hurt harmless crackpots like Gaston"? The latter version was used at the showing we went to but I felt it didn't fit the music anywhere near as good and might have been an error (like when Gaston forgot to sing the word antlers and ended up going "I use ... in all of my decorating").
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember a few changes like that, too. The most notable being that Belle didn't sing "me," but yeah, they sort of changed a few things for the soundtrack.

And unless I'm wrong, a whole verse of "Maison Des Lunes" is missing.

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

SkylaDoragono
Hero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: True Reply with quote

hook7909 wrote:
Well let me just say that its unique.

Dude, I haven't exactly been around this board for very long, but most people would consider it rude to drag up old topics...

Darkshipping is sexy overconfident ♥
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum