Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Chronology?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chronology?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie886 wrote:
Quote:
You didn't see that in the first movie, they always had an excuse on why he couldn't use his powers to save his friends. "It had to be a wish," or "He couldn't defy his master to save another."

I'm beginning to wonder what he really did on that trip. He comes back and it's like part of his brain was taken away. Laughing

I kinda have a theory, that when the three wishes are up, the non-freed genies go into some hibernation.

Just a thought.
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I kinda have a theory, that when the three wishes are up, the non-freed genies go into some hibernation.

Just a thought.

Or it could be that Robin Williams wasn't the Genie's voice talent. Just a thought... Cool

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I think that genie embrace thing might have gave him more powers because in KOT he is just fine. As for the episodes that come after "The Book of Khartoum", I can't explain. Maybe his powers gradually get better or something.

Or this is just a horrible inconsistancy that will forever bug me. Confused But it probably does have to do with the fact that we had two different people playing genie.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But it probably does have to do with the fact that we had two different people playing genie.

Robin Williams made the Genie who he was. I mean, Disney had a script, but he didn't follow it. And let's face it, Genie made the story alot more interesting.

Dan followed the rules, Robin broke them. That's the difference you had in the genies. Plus the obvious lack of funds in the sequels.

Calluna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
Or it could be that Robin Williams wasn't the Genie's voice talent. Just a thought... Cool

Some of us want to write fanfiction and would at least like to try to make things consistent. Wink

...but I think it's more of a writing issue, IMO.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of us want to write fanfiction and would at least like to try to make things consistent.

Um... I'm not understanding what this means.

Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
Quote:
Some of us want to write fanfiction and would at least like to try to make things consistent.

It means we want to remain true to the spirit of the series and don't want to get lynched by rabid fans and purists.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:

Well, the out-of-story explanation for Genie acting different is that he's played by a different actor and is written for by different people, but in-story there isn't really an explanation, which was what AG was trying to do. (Not sure if that makes sense...)
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It means we want to remain true to the spirit of the series and don't want to get lynched by rabid fans and purists.

Umm... you stay true to the series, I'll stay true to the original video and sequels.

Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, the out-of-story explanation for Genie acting different is that he's played by a different actor and is written for by different people, but in-story there isn't really an explanation, which was what AG was trying to do. (Not sure if that makes sense...)

Oh, ok... I get it. Sometimes you have to go outside the story for an explanation... in some rare cases.

Calluna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
Umm... you stay true to the series, I'll stay true to the original video and sequels.

Me and AG say: let's do both. Wink
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:

Indeed! Laughing
I mean, I know the technical reason his powers are off is because it's two different people playing two somewhat different genies, but if you look at Genie as a character from the first movie to the end of KOT, his powers contradict themselves.

Whenever Robin is Genie, his powers are fine. No mention of the semi-phenomenal, nearly cosmic stipulation anywhere in KOT that was largely emphasized in the series. However, when Dan does it, his powers do whatever.
Sometimes he can transport people from another area instantly (ex: ROJ), and other times he can't (ex: Fowl Weather). That one really, really bugs me. That's why I gave that one the idea that he was only able to do that then because his power was stronger before, so for the rest of the series, they just fly away.
Sometimes he can sense powerful magic (ex: SLOC...1?), and other times he has no idea what magic caused the damage until after he sees who it is(ex: When Chaos Comes Calling). If Chaos has that much magic, I think he would have been able to sense he was there the second he got out of his lamp. That’s why I like to think that he can only sense powerful magic when its been confined and then released, like Eden in her bottle, and Minos, Fatima and Aziz in the Destiny Stone.

Therefore, to rest my Genie, over-analyzing brain, I've tried to play around with this theory that maybe Genie acquired some of the magic from some of the 100 sorcerer's that the Shaman from Beast or Famine said he absorbed. But I'm not sure if the magic was mixed all together because of when the Shaman tries to make a horrifying creature and only Genie's powers come through. I guess even with his powers being semi-phenomenal, nearly cosmic they still outdo the power of 100 sorcerer's. Unless the Shaman absorbed some really crappy magic.
Then, the Genie Embrace thing that happened a little later on restored all the power he had after he was free, plus a little more since Eden still has all her powers, and I think some of that might of rubbed off on him. After those two little power boosts, he gradually got stronger until you see no magic flaws in KOT.

But then there is that mixing magic's issue. Can you not mix magic when it is from two different magical beings or two different magic types entirely? Eden and Genie's magic was mixed together and nothing happened. Yet, he was freaking out when Jasmine told him to close the portal that Sadira made with the magic she acquired from the Witches of the Sand, but she herself isn't a magical being. Just someone who casts spells.
But then Mozenrath was wasting his time…unless the rule of mixing magic's only applies to genies. No one else seems to worry about the mixing magic's rule except Genie, and maybe that's because he himself is a magic being and everyone else is people who know or who have some magic item to assist them.
Now that I am thinking about it, I've never seen Genie mix magic's with another magical being to zap them as a defense except Jafar in ROJ, but that was one genie hitting another.
Screw it, I give up, lol. Genie and his magic is a huge rant that one day I will conquer. I hope.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You can't just ignore the Genie of the series because it comes into a character conflict with the Robin Genie of the original/KOT. Genie's powers in KOT seem like a gaff to me... like someone got too caught up in Robin being back and kind of forgot that Genie had, you know, grown over the series.

*Skulks back to bed*
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie886 wrote:
Calluna wrote:

Indeed! Laughing
I mean, I know the technical reason his powers are off is because it's two different people playing two somewhat different genies, but if you look at Genie as a character from the first movie to the end of KOT, his powers contradict themselves.

Whenever Robin is Genie, his powers are fine. No mention of the semi-phenomenal, nearly cosmic stipulation anywhere in KOT that was largely emphasized in the series. However, when Dan does it, his powers do whatever.
Sometimes he can transport people from another area instantly (ex: ROJ), and other times he can't (ex: Fowl Weather). That one really, really bugs me. That's why I gave that one the idea that he was only able to do that then because his power was stronger before, so for the rest of the series, they just fly away.
Sometimes he can sense powerful magic (ex: SLOC...1?), and other times he has no idea what magic caused the damage until after he sees who it is(ex: When Chaos Comes Calling). If Chaos has that much magic, I think he would have been able to sense he was there the second he got out of his lamp. That’s why I like to think that he can only sense powerful magic when its been confined and then released, like Eden in her bottle, and Minos, Fatima and Aziz in the Destiny Stone.

Therefore, to rest my Genie, over-analyzing brain, I've tried to play around with this theory that maybe Genie acquired some of the magic from some of the 100 sorcerer's that the Shaman from Beast or Famine said he absorbed. But I'm not sure if the magic was mixed all together because of when the Shaman tries to make a horrifying creature and only Genie's powers come through. I guess even with his powers being semi-phenomenal, nearly cosmic they still outdo the power of 100 sorcerer's. Unless the Shaman absorbed some really crappy magic.
Then, the Genie Embrace thing that happened a little later on restored all the power he had after he was free, plus a little more since Eden still has all her powers, and I think some of that might of rubbed off on him. After those two little power boosts, he gradually got stronger until you see no magic flaws in KOT.

But then there is that mixing magic's issue. Can you not mix magic when it is from two different magical beings or two different magic types entirely? Eden and Genie's magic was mixed together and nothing happened. Yet, he was freaking out when Jasmine told him to close the portal that Sadira made with the magic she acquired from the Witches of the Sand, but she herself isn't a magical being. Just someone who casts spells.
But then Mozenrath was wasting his time…unless the rule of mixing magic's only applies to genies. No one else seems to worry about the mixing magic's rule except Genie, and maybe that's because he himself is a magic being and everyone else is people who know or who have some magic item to assist them.
Now that I am thinking about it, I've never seen Genie mix magic's with another magical being to zap them as a defense except Jafar in ROJ, but that was one genie hitting another.
Screw it, I give up, lol. Genie and his magic is a huge rant that one day I will conquer. I hope.

My brain hurts. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:
My brain hurts. Confused

*tucks you into bed* You should sleep then Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum