Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Episode discussion: The Prophet Motive
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Episode discussion: The Prophet Motive
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Episode discussion: The Prophet Motive Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been done before, but I thought it would be cool if one of us picked what episode of Aladdin they like the most and start a discussion about it. Anyone can pick an episode and set up their own post for their discussion.

Well, even if it is just me that does this, I thought it would bring something new to this forum, anyway.

So I wanted to talk about "The Prophet Motive." I don't really know why I like this episode so much. Using Carpet to make a ship magically fly was a pretty creative idea, and a story about a prophecy is always suspenseful because the characters try to do everything to prevent the event from happening, as was the case with Aladdin.

I'll admit it, when I saw this episode as a kid, I got scared when Aladdin was "killed." It was kind of moving to see how upset the others were; even IAGO was crying! Sad You notice that in almost every story/Disney movie, there's a very sad scene when the hero is apparently dead and the friends are sad? It does seem kind of cliche, but I'm a sap and I fall for it every time.

Just one thing bothered me: I know it was because Fashoom was loose and could have crushed them at any second, but why didn't we see a more emotional reaction (other than surprise) from Jasmine when it turned out Aladdin was faking it? In almost every other episode, they find an excuse to cuddle in a dangerous situation--what was so different about this situation. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic, but after seeing Jasmine crying and holding Aladdin in her arms, I kind of expected something more.

If I'd been in her place, I would have started making out with him Embarassed

Anyone else want to share their thoughts?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Episode discussion: The Prophet Motive Reply with quote

Spartan Girl wrote:
If I'd been in her place, I would have started making out with him Embarassed

..................................you mean you're supposed to do something else in that situation? Laughing

And I guess maybe she was too surprised to cuddle? Usually any other time it's "OMG YOU'RE SAFE!!". I don't remember if they had any "OMG YOU'RE ALIVE! *cuddle*" moments. There's glomping and kissing, but I guess cuddle is a special ocassion Laughing
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember this episode that well, and while it's not one of my top favs, it does have it's good points. For example, spreading Carpet's magic to the boat was pretty neat. I liked the introduction to the episode. And, in hindsight, I like it because it introduces Fasir, the cryptic initiator of events (I say intiator because over the course of the series the prophecies don't always go verbatim, but the crew still acts on them; and, he provides explainations for things, prompting action as well).
Mariposa79
Lovesick Demented Reject

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I was so fooled that Aladdin was going to meet his doom.

when they use magic carpet the to fly the boat. Somehow I thought of tinkerbelle when she flew the ship back to London.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariposa79 wrote:

And it never occured to you that they'd have a hard time continuing a series titled Aladdin if they'd actually killed 'im off, eh? Very Happy

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Mariposa79
Lovesick Demented Reject

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Mariposa79 wrote:

And it never occured to you that they'd have a hard time continuing a series titled Aladdin if they'd actually killed 'im off, eh? Very Happy

Oh there's always all these plot storylines that writers can do. So Aladdin won't be be technically dead.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or we could have just gone through the whole thing with Aladdin as a ghost. That would have been interesting Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Or we could have just gone through the whole thing with Aladdin as a ghost. That would have been interesting Laughing

Indeed. Very.

At the moment, I'm kind of seeing something like this...
Aladdin: Oh, no! I'm dead! (Softly) I guess I saw that coming. (Louder.) Now what?
PTB: (Appearing in a cloud of smoke) Uh, Aladdin, our contract says that you're due for another several episodes...
Aladdin: Yeeeeeah, I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm a little dead right now.
PTB: So?
Aladdin: (Rolls eyes.) Oh, I see. What's it going to be - shambling undead or apparition?
PTB: Oh, you just don't get it. (Waves wand)
Aladdin: Hey, I'm alive! How'd... hey, you know the fans are never going to buy this.
PTB: Wanna bet?

Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might sound stupid, but what's PTB?
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power/Powers That Be. Anyone in charge of production. Smile

Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:

That would have been interesting. They came close in an episode, forget the name, but as a real ghost it would have been fun. He would be so frustrated at not being able to do a thing.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As The Netherworld Turns, I believe it was. Smile

Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prophet Motive occupies a special place in my heart because it's the first episode I ever saw. For a long time I thought it was meant to be the first episode *ever* but the production numbers proved me wrong. Oh well. Sad

I wasn't suprised that he lived, not because he's the title character but because I remembered the Rescue Rangers episode this was based on. Laughing It was very similar: they had a gypsy moth instead of Fasir but she also went into a trance and told a prophesy about Chip's death in the form of a poem, and everything about it came true except that he didn't die. The last line also had a double meaning, like "meet your doom upon the stones" was about gemstones not rocks. In the Rescue Rangers version he was supposed to be crushed by a trunk; they thought it meant an elephant trunk up until the end when it turned out to be a chest. Wink

I don't really mind that though because it wasn't really the plot I liked about it, it was all the extra things: Fasir, all the Abismalisms, Haroud. Smile

Now that I'm thinking of it, this is one of the few episodes where Carpet screws up. How often does that happen? Laughing

Oh, and has anyone else noticed that Fasir seems to have a lot invested in making sure Aladdin doesn't believe in fate? Which is kind of strange when you think that he never really believed in it in the first place. Laughing
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:

Now that I'm thinking of it, this is one of the few episodes where Carpet screws up. How often does that happen? Laughing

Oh, and has anyone else noticed that Fasir seems to have a lot invested in making sure Aladdin doesn't believe in fate? Which is kind of strange when you think that he never really believed in it in the first place. Laughing

You know, it's true. Carpet doesn't mess up that often. I wish I could remember more of it, but I can't.

Yes, I've noticed along similar lines about Fasir. More like he acts as an initiator of events, presenting a challenge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum