Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Fredericia Theatre to host European Premiere of Aladdin
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fredericia Theatre to host European Premiere of Aladdin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Fredericia Theatre to host European Premiere of Aladdin Reply with quote

Fredericia Theatre has gained the rights to the European premiere of Disney's new big musical ALADDIN. It is in recognition of the theater's ambitious efforts to develop and demonstrate new musicals, that Disney Group has chosen Fredericia Theatre as their partner for this brand new musical. ALADDIN opens Fredericia Theatre's 2012/2013 season with its premiere on the fourth October 2012 at 19:00.

Tickets are now on sale at the theatre's website;

http://www.fredericiateater.dk/egenproduktioner/disney-aladdin
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casting Announced for Aladdin, Jasmine and Genie (I apologise in advance for any mis-translation!)

When Fredericia Theatre opens the European premiere of the musical version of Disney's Aladdin in October, it will be with Johannes Nymark, Maria Lucia and the young talent Pelle Emil Hebsgaard in the three main roles.

All sails are set for when Fredericia Theatre, on 4 October this year, can open the doors to the European premiere of Disney's musical Aladdin, which will be Fredericia Theatre's largest venture to date. Ever since the announcement of the show before Christmas the theatre has been working overtime to find the perfect cast. With just under six months until the premiere, Fredericia Theatre is now proud to present its main cast.

Theatre director Soren Moller is a proud man:

"I am happy, relieved and proud that we have found our dream cast to star in Disney's Aladdin. These are three extremely demanding roles, and it's hard to find the right actors/actress, who have both the talent and the right look and feel for the characters. It is a cardinal point to me that we never cast someone just because they are known, but because it is precisely that they are the right person for the role. It simply provides the best theatre. In Johannes Nymark, Maria Lucia and Pelle Emil Hebsgaard I will not hesitate to say that we have found three sparkling stars as a dream match for this show."

From stepsko and rain dance to Arabic street boy in a turbanIn the title role of Aladdin, Fredericia Theatre, welcomes back Johannes Nymark. He graduated from the Danish Musical Academy Fredericia in 2009 and has appeared at the theatre in High School Musical. He got his first big breakthrough this spring in Singin 'in the Rain at the New Theatre, where he continued dancing and singing his way through cascades of rain as it fell as Don Lockwood.

After the summer he changes his shoes, stepping out with a turban and a flying carpet as the young Arab Aladdin who falls in love with the beautiful Princess Jasmine. She is played by our greatest young musical star right now, Maria Lucia.

From Disney's Beauty and the Beast to Disney's Aladdin
After success with the title role in Sugar last fall and just now in Chess at Aarhus Theatre, Maria Lucia is back in a big new Disney musical. She made her professional musical debut in Disney's Beauty and the Beast at the New Theatre seven years ago. This will be her second time playing opposite Johannes Nymark as the two played together in Les Misérables at the New Theatre three years ago.

In the role of Jasmine the audience also gets the opportunity to meet Kristine Provide Eriksen, who understudies (alternates?) for Maria Lucia. With critically acclaimed leading roles in shows such as Mamma Mia! in Tivoli and Singin 'in the Rain Kristine has established herself as a leading female musical performer.

United Talent follows in Robin Williams' footsteps
The musical's third major role is the hyperactive, turbo-speed talkative Genie better known as the spirit of the lamp, who Robin Williams memorably provided the voice for in the 1992 Disney classic Aladdin.

After extensive auditions, the theatre decided to give the role to the young talent Pelle Emil Hebsgaard, who was also educated at the Musical Academy. This will be his biggest role ever. Pelle Emil has appeared in several musicals at Fredericia Theatre and has just received lots of acclaim for his performance as Eugene in the successful production of Grease in Tivoli this spring.

In total, the ensemble consists of over 30 musical performers, singers and dancers. The show is directed and choreographed by Lynne Kurdziel, American formato Animation Company Nørlum and Frausing Jens and Anders Jensen Digmann together create the production's scenography, Anna Juul Holm creates the many lavish costumes, and conductor Christian Baltzer will be swinging the baton for an 18 piece orchestra.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video time!

If you can understand Danish here's an interview with Soren Moller (theatre director) and Pelle Emil Hebsgaard (Genie);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VH-_Z3eC-U

There's also some behind the scenes clips of Arabian Nights and Prince Ali, but you can see the full rehearsal for those songs, without the interviews, here;

http://www.fredericiaavisen.dk/?module=Avis&page=video&do=show&id=9180&vid=0

An interview (again in Danish) with Johannes Nymark (Aladdin);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPq-YtE59ds

And finally the trailer;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBX8-vBPF6Q

No footage but there is a picture of Aladdin, Jasmine and Genie in costume (another blue Genie).

Tickets are on sale at the show's website

www.aladdinthemusical.dk

This is the first time any production of the show has had it's own website, so pretty exciting even if I can't read half of it!

The show starts next Thursday (can't believe how fast that's come) and with it, Aladdin: The New Stage Musical will have officially had its European Premiere!! Still wish it could have been in London, but then I'd have missed the fabulous Tuacahn production so I guess it all worked out for the best.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone know if the play will be in English or will it be offered in Dutch?
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty certain it won't be in English. I know someone who is going (through the blog, he gives me most of the updates on this production) so I'll ask him when he's been Very Happy
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: European premiere Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
So does anyone know if the play will be in English or will it be offered in Dutch?

Since the premiere is in Denmark, it would be rather weird if the play was in Dutch Razz
The play will be in Danish - and I'm very pleased that they've used the original Danish lyrics from the animated feature. When Beauty and the Beast was in theaters here, they had re-written most of the lyrics :-/
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should know better than to post while I'm tired Laughing. Sorry about that!

Do you know how they're planning on handling the new songs in the translations?
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Danish translation Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Do you know how they're planning on handling the new songs in the translations?

The new songs have been translated by Trine Dansgaard, who has worked on several Danish Disney productions both as translator and singer. I'm sure her translations will blend perfectly into Jesper Kjær's original translations from '92.
Only one week left until I'm going to see it - can't wait Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum