Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic -
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, Alan Menken held an intimate performance as part of the ‘Destination D’ event at the Disneyland Resort, held by Disney D23, the official fan club of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS). After wowing the attending crowd with music from decades of his Tony, Grammy and Oscar-winning career (he holds the record for having the most Oscars (living)), he closed the show with ‘Proud of Your Boy,’ a song that was intended for the original 1992 film, but was cut due to story changes.

It was when introducing the song that Menken mentioned the musical is currently being tweaked for a Broadway run, according to reports from attendees. A new staged version of the musical was produced by Disney Theatrical and premiered at the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle last year, but no aspirations for Broadway were anywhere to be found — at best, a national tour; at worst, licensing to regional theater. Howard Ashman’s sister, Sarah, wrote about the musical on her tribute blog, Part Of Your World, and some of the changes that were incorporated into it that deviate it from the beloved animated film. In addition to ‘Proud of Your Boy,’ three other songs that were initially cut have been reinstated along: Call Me A Princess; High Adventure; and Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim, which brings along the three non-Aladdin characters with it.

After a brief run at The Muny in July, the musical is now in production at the Tuacahn Amphitheatre in Utah through mid-October and has managed to incorporate the use of 3D glasses for the Cave of Wonders and Genie’s ‘Friend Like Me’ song, courtesy of former Walt Disney Imagineer Geoff Puckett, according to the fan-based Aladdin Musical blog.

Still, prior to last night, there wasn’t so much as an inkling that it would soon find itself on the Great White Way. Actually, an inkling may in fact have been all there was, as a thread on Broadway World points to a cryptic message at the end of a recent video update from 5th Avenue Theatre.

I'd say "I'm so happy I could die", but then I'd miss out on seeing this go to Broadway. Talk about unfortunate Laughing

Last edited by AladdinsGenie on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*can't allow myself to get excited until it happens*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly go "LOL J/K". They always seem to do that with us, or pull out of an idea right before it our turn (see: 2004 IMAX showings)
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway baby!!

Someone sent me that Stitch Kingdom link on Facebook earlier. I actually had happy tears in my eyes singing the reprise of POYB on the way to karate tonight.

Nothing is certain yet (Hunchback has been being worked on for the better part of a decade now) but I'm optimistic given the fast transfer and success of Newsies and the fact that Aladdin was The Muny's best selling show this season and is still setting box office records at Tuacahn.

Before I went out I actually tweeted Alan Menken asking if it was true (no reply yet and certainly not expecting one either). I also tweeted Adam, Courtney, JMI and AKB the link asking if they wanted a Broadway reunion. Courtney replied;

y'all know I LOVE a reunion Wink-

I'm pretty sure she's just excited like we are, but I still hope that wink means more!

Oh and I just realised! Broadway means we'd finally get a CD!!!!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POYB and Karate - I've officially heard everything Laughing

I'm trying not to get my hopes up because they've been saying "Aladdin" and "Broadway" together for years, but this is better news than we've received before, especially given the musical we have right now. It's finally starting to look up. I might be able to see it before I'm 30 Laughing

omg a reunion akjndfkasjdfnakld. I do hope the Seattle cast can make their way to New York to reprise their roles. That would be magical.

LOL, in my original post, I almost said "Is it sad the first thing I thought about was 'WE FINALLY GET A CD!!'?" because that is immediately what my mind went to. We have our priorities straight Laughing
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please be true (this time). ... official announcement in time to be promoted along with the Blu-Ray release could be nice... Maybe that'd mean that during the merchandise "campaign" we'd see an Aladdin tissue box AND Aladdin toothpaste!!!

Plus, it's been a long time since I saw a show in NYC. The temptation has been there for a while now. I'd really love if this and the Shakespeare in the Park production of Into the Woods actually went to Broadway, and if that could be around the same time... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy <3 (provided I have vacation time, of course!)
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
POYB and Karate - I've officially heard everything Laughing

Well I stopped singing it when I got there... may have hummed it a fews times in class though Laughing

I'm very optimistic at the moment. They're been saying it for years on and off, but this time there's a show ready to go on, and unlike Hunchback it's actually currently running in English and has been tested with American audiences. My best guess is they'll do something like they did with Newsies - announce a "limited run" (Newsies was March-June), then if it doesn't do well they don't have the "failure" of closing the show but if it does well, like Newsies did, they can extend the run/make it permanent (Newsies was extended to August then indefinitely).

I really hope we get as much of the Seattle cast back as possible, purely because it's the original cast, I want them on CD, and from last year's interviews I really think they "get it". I will say though, the Tuacahn cast was fantastic, so if for any reason some members of the Seattle cast can't do it, I'd be more than happy for the Tuacahn cast to step in (I'm sure The Muny cast were great as well, I just didn't see them!)

AladdinsGenie wrote:
LOL, in my original post, I almost said "Is it sad the first thing I thought about was 'WE FINALLY GET A CD!!'?" because that is immediately what my mind went to. We have our priorities straight Laughing

Yes we do Laughing

No matter what happens, limited initial run or straight to a permanent/indefinite run, if this show goes to Broadway we WILL get a CD. We will never get the show on DVD (unless you count pirate copies) but with a CD we will finally get a permanent record of the show. Something we can have forever, even after the Broadway run (which I hope goes for years).

And on that note. Here's the video from Stitch Kingdom where Alan Menken says the show is coming to Broadway and sings the opening of Somebody's Got Your Back and then Proud of Your Boy (still makes me cry when he sings it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MadxxhLeTE
lisa jane
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh fingers crossed! The husband has already agreed that we will go to NYC if it does come to Broadway (no small agreement considering it's something like a 20 hour flight).
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatta man! I gotta find me one of those!
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I think it's more that he'll never hear the end of it if we DON'T go.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this with a BIG pinch of salt.

The Wiki page for Disney Theatrical has been updated with this for Aladdin;

Quote:
The show will come to Broadway in 2014 with Kellen Stancil (The Lion King) as Aladdin, Liana Hunt (Mamma Mia) as Jasmine.

Now I'm not normally one to call something false unless I can prove it, but no matter how much I've searched I can't find anything to support this, just a few message board posts of the same rumour (one giving a full cast which is even more suspect) but no one is giving a source at all.

Firstly Disney Theatrical haven't even confirmed Alan Menken's comment that the show is heading to Broadway - there is NO WAY this has been cast yet, especially if the 2014 date is correct.

Secondly, as talented as I'm sure Kellen Stancil and Liana Hunt are, I'm also pretty positive that Adam Jacobs and Courtney Reed would be Disney's first choice for Aladdin and Jasmine since they've played the roles since the first workshops right through to the pilot production. Is that a bit of wishful thinking? Maybe, but at least there's more logic behind it than this currently unsupported rumour.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeeeeah, I'll just be over here swallowing a whole of canister of salt because that sounds too far fetched for me to even begin squeeing over Laughing
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway World is reporting that Mary Poppins is to close this spring (rumour is April) then the theatre will be renovated and Aladdin will open later this year/Spring 2014!! Disney haven't commented yet so this is still only a rumour at this point, but I'd expect more news soon. At this point the story is being carried everywhere so at the least they'll have to deny the Poppins closure soon.

Really hope Adam, Courtney, JMI, etc all come back for it!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum