Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin rumored to open on Broadway next year!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin rumored to open on Broadway next year!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Keenan-Bolger isn't returning for the Broadway production.

He announced end of last week that he's starring in a new Off Broadway play this November/December which conflicts with Aladdin's pre-Broadway Toronto run.

Just over 2 months until the world premiere in Toronto, full casting has to be announced soon!
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full cast announced!

Figured it calls for a new thread now everything is official!

http://aladdincentral.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5041

7 out of 9 Seattle principals returning!

Aladdin - Adam Jacobs
Jasmine - Courtney Reed
Genie - James Monroe Iglehart
Jafar - Jonathan Freeman
Iago - Don Darryl Rivera
Babkak - Brian Gonzales
Omar - Jonathan Schwartz
Kassim - Brandon O'Neill
Sultan - Clifton Davis

So happy right now!!
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW I COULD DIE...BUT NOT BEFORE I SEE THIS Laughing
arisha
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the show in Toronto last week (twice!!) and it was fantastic. Very Happy I'm working on a big long summary of the show and my thoughts about it (will hopefully be done by the weekend at the latest) but in the meantime if there's anything you want to ask about it, go ahead! I must say my most favourite part was hearing some of the songs that were deleted from the film sung live and with a full orchestra. I've obsessed over "High Adventure" for so long that finally seeing it performed was pretty much a wish come true. Very Happy I'm super stoked Aladdin finally has a Broadway musical and I wish it a long and happy run!
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so lucky!! I saw it in Utah last year but they've made some changes since then, what's Diamond in the Rough like and the act 2 reprise of Proud of Your Boy (I'm obsessed with that song!!)

Thanks!! And welcome!
arisha
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! And wow, I didn't even realize it played in Utah, I thought it had only been in Seattle and then Toronto. Was it the same cast at all? I'm so out of the loop lol.

I wish I was better at describing musical styles but unfortunately all I can tell you is that "Diamond in the Rough" is kind of a quicker song that Jafar and Iago sing in order to convince Aladdin to go with them to the Cave of Wonders. (Al sings a line or two at the end as well.) My favourite part of that performance is how Jafar and Iago are in ~disguise~ at that point, and Iago keeps pulling random props out of his new outfit. At one point he pulls a rose out from nowhere, and runs around with it in his teeth. There's a slower part near the end of the song where Jafar has decided he has to appeal to Aladdin's interest in Jasmine to convince him to go to the Cave with them, and during that part Iago pulls out a violin and starts playing it! That got big laughs both times I saw the show. I also really liked how the scene behind the three of them changed throughout the song - first it was the marketplace, then it looked like the edge of the city, then it was sand dunes, then it was the Cave. A really neat way to show them travelling without them actually moving.

As for the second reprise of "Proud of Your Boy," I am really surprised to find out that is a recent addition because it fit soooo well. I was pretty indifferent to "Proud of Your Boy" before seeing this show, but now I kind of love it, and the reprises especially! The second reprise comes just after the scene where Jasmine and the sultan are all excited that she's finally chosen a suitor. Aladdin had been planning to tell Jasmine the truth at that point but in all the excitement he wasn't able to, and now he's been left alone onstage with the attendants who are putting the sultan's ~royal vestments~ on him. The lyrics in this reprise are basically "I hope you're proud of me, because I don't feel very proud of myself." The only line I remember specifically is "I don't feel taller or smarter or handsome or wise." This was one of my favourite moments in the show, it was really well done.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, after Seattle they did 2 regional productions (Tuacahn in Utah and The Muny is St Louis) and 2 international productions (Europe and Asia). The Denmark production was so popular in 2012 that they did a second run this year! The 2011 Seattle was the only production with Disney directly involved, the 2012 productions were a slightly revised version that Disney licensed out to selected theatres (none of the original cast involved).

The Tuacahn cast were amazing, but I'm so happy they got most of the original cast back for this new Broadway production!

Diamond in the Rough sounds great and that's just where I thought they'd put the new reprise and I love the call back to the earlier lyrics Smile One last question (sorry!!) does it end on a big I'll make you proud of your boy like the act 1 finale or a quieter end like the original song?

If you want to catch up we discussed the original Seattle production a LOT back in 2011 (25 pages is pretty impressive considering none of us saw the show but then the publicity was much more intense for this as everything was focused on 3 weeks, now it's a slower build to Broadway, I guess they don't want to peak publicity too soon) http://aladdincentral.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4495

More recent Broadway discussion is here http://aladdincentral.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5041

And (shameless plug) I've done a blog following the show since 2011. I still need to do a some catch up pieces on the international productions but there's a lot of coverage of the Seattle production (I even got to interview most of the main cast), the regional productions and of course this new pre-Broadway run! http://aladdinmusical.blogspot.com/
arisha
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second reprise has a pretty quiet ending. While Aladdin is singing, Iago is pretending to be one of the helpers who are putting the sultan's royal robes on him. As a result, Iago gets Aladdin's cape, which has the lamp in it. So when the song ends, Aladdin quickly leaves the stage and then Iago and Jafar immediately start celebrating their acquisition of the lamp.

Thank you so much for all the info and links!!!! I will definitely check them out. Very Happy
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update (sorry I'm so late replying!!!)

Have a great Christmas
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to post this, but Disney.com's blog gave a little preview of the merchandise coming with the show:

http://blogs.disney.com/disney-style/news/2014/02/06/your-first-look-at-merch-from-aladdin-the-musical/?cmp=SMC%7Cblgstyle%7CFebruary-Style%7CFB%7CMusical-Aladdin%7CInHouse%7C020614%7C%7C%7Cesocialmedia%7C%7C%7C
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I desperately need those bracelets. Desperately Laughing
RoosJoseph
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By renovating theater they took a good decision as it was required.Earlier theater was little small for audience but now its big enough to have over 500 audience at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum