Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - About the wiki
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About the wiki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we do with the wiki?
Keep it where it is
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Merge with Wikia's Aladdin wiki
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Move to a different wiki farm
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please explain)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: About the wiki Reply with quote

I've been thinking a lot today about what to do about the site's Aladdin wiki. After the transcripts are done that's probably the next project I'll want to focus on, but I also want to keep the site as simple as possible since I don't have as much free time as I used to. I was thinking about moving it to a site like Wikia.

Pros:
- Could attract more casual fans to help if it's on a bigger site
- Less problems with spammers
- Fewer scripts on aladdincentral.org = less code that can be hacked into

Cons:
- No longer ad-free
- We might have less control over the wiki

To make things more complicated, I checked Wikia and it looks like they already have an Aladdin wiki. There's basically only one page in it, so I could copy most of the Aladdincyclopedia there with no problem, but the admin would be someone that we don't know.

Right now I'm leaning towards copying our wiki's pages into the existing wiki on Wikia, and waiting to see how that pans out before doing anything to the wiki here, but I'd like to see what you all think about this before I do anything.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is wikia in relation to where you have it set up now?

And I think my thing was always I wasn't sure what to say in the encyclopedia, and I didn't want it to come off as being my opinion or thoughts on whatever it is I was typing up. Non-subjective material I think I'd feel better with, but then what to add was also weary.
Merkal
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I say wait and see what's the Wikia Aladdin admin like. If he/she has still a passion for the subject you two can work together in transfering your wiki. If not perhaps you can copy the basics, transscripts, character info etc and leave it with that.
Calluna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
How big is wikia in relation to where you have it set up now?

You mean as far as disk space? Wikia would be infinite; here it's limited but still so huge I'll never possibly fill it up unless I start hosting video or something. Laughing Not sure about other wiki sites, though.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
And I think my thing was always I wasn't sure what to say in the encyclopedia, and I didn't want it to come off as being my opinion or thoughts on whatever it is I was typing up. Non-subjective material I think I'd feel better with, but then what to add was also weary.

Yeah, I'm not trying to nag other people into working on it or anything, I just don't know who else other than me is interested in the wiki; I didn't want to piss people off by doing stuff with it without telling anyone... I agree, though, it's easier to add to existing material than to write something from scratch, which is probably why I've been so unmotivated so far. Sad

Merkal wrote:
Frankly I say wait and see what's the Wikia Aladdin admin like. If he/she has still a passion for the subject you two can work together in transfering your wiki. If not perhaps you can copy the basics, transscripts, character info etc and leave it with that.

I think this sounds like a good plan. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum