Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin and the King of Thieves Appreciation Thread!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin and the King of Thieves Appreciation Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had self-motivation in my definition but must have taken it out. BUT YEAH THAT.

I've ALWAYS looked at Iago as one, but I'm thinking maybe Cassim too. He has a good heart but looks out for himself in most situations.

"You're good... but not too good." Smile
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I should probably mention I've been editing the posts and changing the pictures to the right code Laughing

My hero. Laughing Thank you!

Quote:
That is my understanding of an anti-hero, somebody who lacks a clear sense of virtue but isn't evil. (I always think of Captain Jack Sparrow as the pinnacle.)

No, you're right there. I took the "anti" too seriously for a bit there. It's been way too long since I've taken an English course, man. Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(okay, please tell me if I do the images wrong this time. Laughing )

I want to bring up a seedy and important issue lurking in the marketing and promotion of Aladdin and the King of Thieves: the blatant disrespect of Sa'luk.

Namely, no one could be bothered to get Sa'luk's race right. Laughing

The film couldn't always bother either, but shhhh.

In the media/merchandise:

Sa'luk is endlessly offended. His skin is gray, people. Look at him adamantly showing off!

AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving him a flesh tone is actually better because it humanizes him in to something familiar and realistic (they do with this Jafar on the ROJ poster, too). The gray color just implies he's not human because who on Earth has gray skin except animals and people who don't have enough oxygen/blood flowing through their bodies (mostly corpses Laughing)? It's a coded way to off-set the villains from the rest of the cast to make their defeat matter less.

But this does beg the question what on Earth race IS Sa'luk?
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sa'luk also has yellow-ish eyes, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an underlying medical issue there. Laughing There's quite a mix of skin tones in the 40 Thieves, though the weirdest is the fakir who's pretty much green. What? Laughing

People have theorized that Sa'luk is possibly Mongolian, because he has a similar skin tone to the Huns in Mulan. Either that or his father is a cigarette or something. Laughing

EDIT: Ooh! Wild theorizing time! There's the bit where Sa'luk kills the shark and his eyes look super shark-like for a moment. Maybe, just maybe, Sa'luk had a run-in with Saleen at one point. He was turned into a shark, like Aladdin, but his spell wasn't broken very well, so he still has shark attributes, like gray skin, oddly colored eyes, and super strength. Plus, we know he hates magic and that could be because he got all caught up with the wrong sea witch.

BOOM! Theorized! Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that theory is ...

(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

Jumping the shark.

YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salukfan wrote:
In regards to character growth, I want to mention Iago as well. He had some incredible growth over the course of the movies and series, probably the most of any character.

His choice to leave at the end of King of Thieves, to travel with a kindred spirit instead of stay around and live in the luxury he wanted for the whole of the series is a big transformation for him. I think it comes down to him finally finding a person he feels in belongs with, rather than being completely evil with Jafar or trying to be completely good with Aladdin and company. I'm sure Iago will complain about his random travelling in the desert, but I bet he and Cassim will have a lot of fun.

Definitely agreed!

This was a great movie for not only the character development, but I think the subject matter was something very relatable concerning the Aladdin/Cassim relationship, and that was kind of a huge thing for a Disney movie ( a sequel at that ), to undertake, and I thought it was handled really well. Going back to the character development thing, the fact that Aladdin was able to stand on his own and be his own man even without having his father growing up was and is a really hopeful sort of example for kids to have, and even as a kid I liked that.
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that theory is ...

(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

Jumping the shark.

YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Quote:
This was a great movie for not only the character development, but I think the subject matter was something very relatable concerning the Aladdin/Cassim relationship, and that was kind of a huge thing for a Disney movie ( a sequel at that ), to undertake, and I thought it was handled really well. Going back to the character development thing, the fact that Aladdin was able to stand on his own and be his own man even without having his father growing up was and is a really hopeful sort of example for kids to have, and even as a kid I liked that.

The Aladdin series on whole really did handle character development well. From tackling tough issues like death (with Jasmine actually dying and Aladdin/Genie having the conversation about Aladdin's mortality) to relationship squabbles or whatever, the series did it well. Plus, you can see the character's changing and growing throughout. Despite some regressions (ie Rasoul), the series did a fantastic job.

Back to KOT specifically, I like that while the 40 Thieves were played as a bit silly, Sa'luk was allowed to be a serious villain, one that's smart, cunning, and a worthy adversary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum