Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - New fan-comic "Diamond in the Rough" - AMAZING
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New fan-comic "Diamond in the Rough" - AMAZING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: New fan-comic "Diamond in the Rough" - AMAZING Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just found this great 35-page fan comic on DeviantArt. It's called "Diamond in the Rough", and it shows the origin of the Cave of Wonders, as well as the backstory for another important - though often overlooked - "Aladdin" character (sorry - no spoilers here Wink ). It also features Jafar and Iago, looking much more handsome and badass than usual Smile

It's engagingly written, with drama and humor alike. It's dazzlingly illustrated; in fact, it's well designed and so cinematic that you'll think you're looking at storyboards or gazing at concept art for the original film... except this comic isn't sketchy or rough; it's fully developed, and a complete feast for the eyes.

Here's the link to the first page: http://land-walker.deviantart.com/art/Diamond-In-The-Rough-Cover-564624879
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very interesting, although I don't know if the backstory for Carpet really makes sense to me considering what Genie says to it in the movie. I don't think Iago's makes sense considering the sequel. And actually, I don't know if Jafar's story makes sense either because in the movie, he acts as if he had never heard the phrase "diamond in the rough" before.

I'm overthinking this. I still enjoyed it. :)
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree on the note about Genie. "Hey Rug Man, haven't seen you in a few millennia..." he says, so they probably knew each other long before the events of this comic.

I think the Iago one is feasible, because it might be argued that Jafar and Iago didn't see the man become the carpet, so there wouldn't be any inconsistency if they didn't recognize the carpet when Prince Ali arrives with it.

Hmmm.... I'm thinking over Jafar's lines in the movie, after the Cave collapses for the first time. It does seem as if Jafar was hearing the invocation of 'diamond in the rough' for the first time, but I could see an argument for him simply being contemplative, having heard it before but finding his first guess of 'Gazeem' to be wrong.
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a really interesting comic and the art is breathtaking. Wow. I still can't get over how cool it looks. These are the moments when I wish I could draw.

That being said, I agree with imekitty. Some of the backstory doesn't necessarily correlate with the movies, like Genie's supposed relationship with Carpet or Iago turning from a man into a parrot. Isn't it in Return of Jafar when Jafar says something about getting Iago at a bazaar? I haven't seen that movie in a long time, so please don't quote me.

Also, I'm personally not an advocate for the "let's make Carpet originally a human" theory. I see why people want that (like in this comic which put an interesting spin on that concept), but I don't know. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to think that he just IS a magic carpet. I mean, I get that magic carpets might be mythical even in that world, judging from Al's expression when he sees Carpet for the first time in the Cave of Wonders, but I think that adds to his character. Like, he's some special guardian spirit staying in the Cave in order to protect Genie and that's why they know each other so well.

Or maybe I 'm just a little weirded out that Al and his friends literally sit and fly on something that used to be a human. That could be it.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafar does make it clear he met Iago as a parrot, and the implication is that he gave Iago the ability to actually speak (and think) like a human. But not everyone considers the sequels and TV series canon, I suppose.

As for Carpet, I never thought of it as being a guardian or anything. In the July 1991 script, Aladdin says when he first meets it, "I guess your owner must've come looking for the lamp, huh?" to which Carpet nods. So, I just thought maybe he was left there when his owner died trying to get the lamp. However, this wouldn't explain why Genie and Carpet knew each other already if its owner was never able to get the lamp. :/

Since this line was not used in the final movie, I guess it's open to interpretation, but I don't like thinking of it ever being a human at one point either. It's kind of depressing, haha.
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cool. I've never read the original script(s) of the movie. May I ask where you came across it because I would love to see it.

Perhaps that whole Carpet having an owner before was changed because they wanted Genie and Carpet to sort of have a buddy relationship from before the events of the first movie, but I'm not too sure.

And yeah, thinking of Carpet as a human-turned-rug is pretty depressing. Poor Carpet. He's such a woobie.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two scripts that are easily accessible (i.e. you can purchase them online). There are apparently other scripts in existence that you can find at certain libraries, but I haven't been able to check for sure. Someday, maybe I'll make a trip to California just for that. :b

Anyway, there's one script from July 1990 and another from July 1991. The 1990 script is interesting because while it has remnants of the current story we know today, it's mostly very different as it includes Aladdin's mother and unlimited wishes instead of just three (and apparently, Robin originally recorded lines from this script in March or April of 1991). The 1991 script is fairly close to the final movie, but there are some interesting differences (for instance, Aladdin and Abu both recognize Jafar, Jasmine asks Aladdin why he's still alive).

You can purchase both scripts here: http://www.scriptfly.com/. Just search for Aladdin. They'll both come up.

Now, if you're wanting them for free, I couldn't tell you where to find the 1990 script online since I'm not sure, but...if you Google lines that are unique to the script, the July 1991 script is easy to find. I'll give you a fun one to use: "One shies from using the word 'orgasmic' in a Disney animated feature script, but..." (although you'll also get a bunch of hits from the old Aladdin Central message board, haha).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum