Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Production on Aladdin prequel reportedly halted
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Production on Aladdin prequel reportedly halted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Production on Aladdin prequel reportedly halted Reply with quote

Did everyone hear about the provision in Robin Williams' will that forbids movie studios from using video and audio recordings of his performances for 25 years after his death? It's so his wife and children don't suffer certain financial penalties.

Well, it sounds like it's exactly this provision which has reportedly forced Disney to halt production on the previously announced Aladdin prequel, entitled "Genies".

http://www.craveonline.com/culture/922519-robin-williams-stops-aladdin-prequel-beyond-grave#!

All I can say is: phew! That was a close one.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also quite relieved. I was never excited about this idea.

But were they really planning on using Robin's outtakes? Those outtakes were very specific to the scenes he was doing, so how could they have possibly used them in an entirely different movie and still made them sound natural in the new scenes in which they're used? If that makes sense. I also thought it was supposed to be live-action, so I don't get how they would've been able to work those lines in in that sense either. I mean...is this for real? Is this really why they cancelled it? :0
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's as real as that article I linked. *shrugs*

I agree with you. I didn't understand exactly how they were going to use outtakes either, but I imagine the genies were going to be CGI'd, in which case, Big Blue would be a CGI image, and would be equipped with a posthumous vocal performance from Williams.

Sounds like a pretty hokey strategy to me Wink

Disney often seems to think with its marketing department, i.e., putting Genie front and center, and doing a film about him, primarily because he's the most popular character. I'm hoping that they'll apply this logic and just put the idea of an Aladdin prequel on the shelf for a good decade or so - at least.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I meant is that it just seems like such a weak reason. Couldn't they have just decided to not use the outtakes after all? Or could they not think of a good enough story for this prequel?

Honestly, I like Genie, but I don't think he'd be interesting by himself as a sole main character. Also, I'm not particularly interested in his backstory. I think the little bit we got in the TV series was adequate. He's a genie. What else is there to explain? Would it be about how he came to desire freedom so much? Or...? I can't even think of another idea, honestly. That's his main character development in the first movie, and once it ended, he had nothing else to make him a strong main character which is why he became a side character in the subsequent movies and TV series.

I'd be more interested in his story (and Carpet's) after Aladdin finally dies. Would he go off somewhere? Would he stay and watch Aladdin's kids? Would he follow them generation after generation? Actually, a modern-day spin-off with Genie and Carpet having adventures with Aladdin's descendants would be kind of fun. As long as it was animated, of course.
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they couldn't come up with a better idea? Honestly, I thought the whole idea of Genie's backstory came a bit out of left-field, for precisely the same reasons that you mention a prequel about him wouldn't be interesting.

I agree; I think a story about Genie with Carpet and Aladdin's kids would be cool. I guess they'd have to have Dan Castellenata do the voice. Maybe it would be a direct-to-video thing, or something. I'm not sure Disney even does DTV stuff anymore.

Oh, yes. Animation all the way.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd movie was a 40-thieves crossover... I think a Scheherezade crossover would be pretty cool. Smile
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wouldn't that be like...breaking the fourth wall or something? :O
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, because Genie mentioned her in a song?
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, but more because Aladdin is one of the stories she tells? :b
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT what if she tells it because she knows it firsthand?? Like retelling an actual story, and that's who the actual story gets immortalized?
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put that way, yeah! That'd be really cool. Maybe work in some of the other stories, too!
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh definitely
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum