Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Random things thread
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random things thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought her reaction to Frollo being #10 was hilarious.
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't actually believe Frollo was there either. I think she had some weird people voting. Weren't Simba and Beast also on that list? I can't remember. :/
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I thought her reaction to Frollo being #10 was hilarious.

Umm...WTF? Frollo?! Hot?! Shocked Nope. Nuh uh. *Shakes head in disgust*
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can understand it in the same way that some find Jafar attractive...I guess.

Jasmine is often near the top of hottest animated women lists, but she just can't beat Jessica Rabbit. :b
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, her rationale was that he was a very sexual character, obsessed with his lust for Esmeralda. Also, he was complex and tortured and powerful, and a lot of women find that attractive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that makes sense. He is probably one of the most complex Disney villains I can think of, which is rather appealing. I've never seen this video, so I didn't know all of the specifics of why he was possibly chosen by the public. Plus, he does have some rather interesting hair, huh imekitty. Laughing

Gotta love the clergy mushroom cut. Laughing
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah...that hair, though...and good hair really is super important... >.>

His complexity as a character certainly makes him one of my favorite villains, but I still could never say I find him attractive. :b
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you would like that photo. I tried to find one of him without his adorable hat, but this picture just had a certain "je ne sais quoi" about it. Either that or he just smelled something pretty funky up in that bell tower. Very Happy

I don't find Frollo to be physically attractive either, but his characterization as a villain is. He is a morally complex character, something you don't see very often in a villain, especially for one in a "children's" movie. Most villains are so cut-and-dry and Frollo is not like that at all. He is not presented as a caricature, but as a real human being with real human emotions. Yes, he's a horrendous person whose death is probably the most ironic of all Disney deaths ("And he shall smite the wicked and fall into the fiery depths of Hell" or something like that), but unlike Maleficent, or Scar, or even Jafar (all villains I have utmost adoration for), Frollo is so real. One could easily meet a person like Frollo in the real world, which is why I think his morally misguided characterization is so disturbingly appealing. I myself love villains who are cool, calculating individuals whom you love to hate because they know what they want and how exactly they plan to get it. Frollo is definitely like that.

To be quite honest, I think this movie needs a lot more love. I know it's a bit intense for some children with all of the religious elements and such, but I think more people (especially those around our age), should see it. It's a beautiful film and I absolutely love the song "Out There." Tom Hulce's voice is so gorgeous.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I introduced my roommate to "Hellfire," and he has made me watch the movie so many times. It really has made me appreciate it more. I also just realized Quasimodo is Amadeus. I watched "Parenthood" the other day and kept imagining Quasimodo as a deadbeat dad. Razz
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Amadeus a week ago. It's one of my favorite movies, actually.

Hunchback is my third favorite Disney movie. I've always loved it since I first saw it (I remember seeing it in the theater). I really hope Disney releases an Esmeralda LE doll. I would absolutely buy that. When asked who I think is the most beautiful female Disney character, I have a bit of a hard time choosing between Jasmine and Esmeralda. :b
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your second favorite Disney movie?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the song "Hellfire." It is such a powerful villain song (Tony Jay's voice is so fascinating to hear) and demonstrates Frollo's twisted mentality so perfectly. It's also, come to think of it, a rather perverse subversion of the archetypal "I want" song that are often in Disney movies (thank you, Howard Ashman Smile ) I also adore the juxtaposition between it and the song "Heaven's Light" that Quasi sings right before, especially since they portray such extremes of Esmeralda, something I've always been fascinated with regarding this film.

Quasi regards her as this pious, almost goddess-like individual, whereas Frollo's views her as this wicked siren with the powers of Satan, which demonstrates how they view the world around them. I know some people hate that Esmeralda didn't end up with Quasi and think it's because she thinks he's ugly, but that's not it. Both Quasi and Frollo's have these idealized images of her and view only through this filter, so to speak, so they are not seeing her as a truly "complete" individual. Yes, she is a kind and generous individual, but she also is capable of demonstating her sexuality. Personally, that's why I think her and Pheobus are a good match because he sees both sides of her personality, not just the angel or the villainous siren.

I've never seen Amadeus before, but I have heard a rap about Mozart that I learned back in elementary school. "Yo Mo, come on Amadeus, whatcha gonna play us?" Yeah, it's kinda weird, but it makes me laugh every time I hear it.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second favorite Disney movie is Treasure Planet. I really love Jim and his relationship with Silver.

That's really good analysis of how Quasimodo and Frollo both view her. I agree that Phoebus is best for her. He does seem to see her the most realistically.

Haha, that must be a Canadian rap because I've never heard it! :b
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just know Rock Me Amadeus Razz

Interesting choice for second favorite - not a very popular one!
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamic character development and interactions are most important to me. Even if the plot isn't great, I can still love a movie or book if I love at least one of the characters. On the flip side, even if the plot is fantastic, I might not like it as much if I don't really care for the characters. With Treasure Planet, the plot isn't that great, but Jim's internal struggles and growth as a character are so good that he, along with Silver, is enough to make me adore the movie. That, and the art and animation are gorgeous. Nothing beats traditional hand-drawn animation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 28 of 93

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum