Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Weird Aladdin "confessions"
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Aladdin "confessions"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Weird Aladdin "confessions" Reply with quote

Truthfully, I don't know a whole lot about these since I don't make them myself...

Anyway, I found a couple of these online. Some of these "confessions" are just so odd. Like, I legitimately don't understand. I have no problem with people not liking Aladdin, honestly, but weird criticisms like these actually annoy me.

Also, I don't really see how Aladdin is worthy of hate at all. I could certainly see it not being someone's favorite or just not something to care for, but hate? People who hate this movie tend to be the ones who have strange criticisms like these that just don't make sense or just suggest that they did not understand or perhaps did not even watch the movie.

Genie isn't even in the first thirty minutes. :b

[/img]
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few of these "Disney Confessions" online for a bunch of the animated movies, but I've never done one myself. Some of them are kinda funny, but some are just downright strange. Some of these definitely fit into that latter category, like the person saying they can't like Aladdin because their name is Jasmine. Girl, you have the same name as a kickass princess who doesn't take any shit from anyone. That is awesome in so many ways.

That last one makes me laugh. Oh mermaids, didn't you know that you are supposed to wear a shirt, even though that is a human invention? And girls trying to find adventure and not be forced to marry some annoying, stuck up guy is bad? Look, I'm not saying they made the best choices in life, but making deals with Ursula and leaving a palace without money or thought of where you will sleep aside, I find these girls quite courageous. They at least try to fight the system they are in. And if I recall correctly, wasn't it Belle who wanted so much more "than this provincial life?" Isn't that kinda the same thing? But I forgot, she reads, which makes her the patron saint of crazy feminists. (Note: I like Belle, but it's her rabid fans who only love her because "OMG! She, like, reads which is so amazing because I like read!" who are so freakin' annoying! Wow, I like to read Shakespeare plays, what about it?)

PS. I like how you totally owned that person who wrote the Genie one. Smile
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the people who get upset about Aladdin lying are the same people who cream their pants over Beauty and the Beast as if Beast didn't hold Belle prisoner but yet that earns the title of the greatest love story ever told Laughing Laughing Laughing

And I keep forgetting people think Aladdin's confidence isn't 75% faked. He actually managed to fool them.

"abandoning their families" Laughing Laughing Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like, I can't stop laughing at these. All I'm hearing is "I hate Aladdin for not having enough confidence in himself despite being told his whole life that he was worthless, will never become a person that's worthwhile, and doesn't deserve to be treated decently or with respect.

I understand Aladdin is a young adult who is maturing, and learning, and growing in an environment that does not nurture him what so ever, but still I place the expectation on him that he should have himself figured out by now and learned to think highly of that person despite what he's been conditioned to believe. Afterall, he is 'the diamond in the rough'.

I then expect his self-esteem to be high enough that he can push aside any seemingly frivolous insecurities and negative thoughts this may have created in him to then pursue a romantic relationship with someone on the basis that a dynamic where one person believes they are not worthy of being loved unconditionally or accepted as is is healthy and fair to both parties involved."

Yes, please, don't watch this film ever again Laughing
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Jasmine's defense, she had literally nothing to compare her sheltered palace life to, and when you have no point of comparison, yeah, you're not going to appreciate what you already have no matter how great it is. I think when she ran away and saw that life was much harder on the outside than she thought, she developed more appreciation for what she had (which might be why she never tried to run away again, haha).

In Ariel's defense, she had dreamt of living on land for so long, no different than someone dreaming of living in a different country. It was her biggest obsession and goal. She made a dark deal for it because it was the absolute only way she could achieve that dream because her father sure wasn't going to help her (Eric was just the last straw, not her only motivation as people keep trying to say). Was it the smartest thing to do? No, but people will do crazy things to follow their dreams.

And in Aladdin's defense, he really only lied about ONE thing, and technically, that wasn't a lie because he made a WISH to be a prince meaning he was indeed a real prince. Even at the end, Genie only needed to regrant the wish for Aladdin to be eligible to marry Jasmine. Also, he only lied about it because the law prohibited him from marrying Jasmine unless he was a prince. It wasn't because he thought that Jasmine would never want him unless he was a prince. I think that mentality of "not being good enough as just a streetrat" kind of developed later when Jasmine yelled at him about not being a "prize to be won" and then refusing to talk to him after that. Plus, of course, his whole life he's been told that he was worthless and doesn't deserve respect as AladdinsGenie said. Words like that really can seep deep! He could very likely struggle with that his whole life, the type of person who might need constant reassurance that he actually does matter and that he's someone worthwhile.

Which leads into the first "confession." The writer claims that Aladdin was selfish for crying about missing his father on his wedding day and not being so damn grateful for what he's getting and being late over it. Uh, hello? Did you not listen to what he was actually talking about? He was concerned that he would not be a good husband and father because he never had a father himself to show him how to be good at it. Again, this just goes back to his vast insecurities. He's of course grateful for the good fortune he's had and definitely loves Jasmine more than anything, but does that mean he's not allowed to be human and still wonder if he really deserves it all, wonder if he'll be worthy of this amazing woman and the charmed life he'll get because of her? I think this is a totally normal feeling to have when you're about to get married, and in his case, I think it's realistic (though admittedly heartbreaking).

Last edited by imekitty on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I'm gathering in the additional comments, the lying people are upset about is rooted in thinking Aladdin and Jasmine fell for each other under the pretence of the other thinking they were someone they're not and thus lying about who they are (Aladdin's "lie" obviously going a lot further than hers which he apologized for), but they made it pretty clear they fell for each other before it got to that point during the hovel scene? That's why the "he gets what he wants the whole movie" one makes no sense. He had what he wanted long before he dressed it up in a suit and tried to get what he wanted on a technicality. It's blowing my mind they're really not understanding the "worth" lesson here is both literal and figurative.

And it just makes sense that in this new chapter of his life of becoming a husband and a father that he'd look around, see he's kind of on his own on this one with maybe an occasional question going to Sultan, and wish his own were here to give him a better frame of reference. Luckily his was to show him exactly how NOT to be a father and husband Laughing. Plus, are they literally not listening when he's singing about being grateful about what he has and what he's accomplished and what's ahead during that exact same scene? Does it not count if he's singing it or something? I'm sure Jasmine is in her room wishing her mother was there to give her some words of encouragement, too.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
From what I'm gathering in the additional comments, the lying people are upset about is rooted in thinking Aladdin and Jasmine fell for each other under the pretence of the other thinking they were someone they're not and thus lying about who they are (Aladdin's "lie" obviously going a lot further than hers which he apologized for), but they made it pretty clear they fell for each other before it got to that point during the hovel scene?

Really? Do people think that? If anything, Jasmine was the liar when they actually fell in love in Aladdin's hovel, but no one ever harps on her for that. :b And then Jasmine only agreed to go on the carpet ride with Aladdin once she realized that he was the same boy she had previously fallen in love with. It had nothing to do with him being a prince. That was just a nice bonus because it meant she could finally marry someone she actually liked and make her father happy at the same time.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Plus, are they literally not listening when he's singing about being grateful about what he has and what he's accomplished and what's ahead during that exact same scene? Does it not count if he's singing it or something?

"There's a party here in Agrabah, and the party's all for me. Just look, you guys, at where we are and how our dreams have come to be!"

Yeah, you're right!
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum