Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Entertainment Weekly's First Look At Aladdin
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Entertainment Weekly's First Look At Aladdin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Entertainment Weekly's First Look At Aladdin Reply with quote

Cover Story is here and a ton more pictures including first looks at Jafar, Abu, the palace, etc. are here !! The issue is out this Friday!!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an issue of Entertainment Weekly really $10?! Shocked I tried to order it online and it was $6.99 + $3.00 shipping. That's ridiculous.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed feelings but general excitement. Then the comment section.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Disney really couldn't win on the costume front either way they went, in part, because they helped create the problem.

The characters' clothing, or lack thereof, have been under fire for years because they're more insensitive than accurate to any real region or culture they're based on.

If they just said "screw it" and did glamorized versions of the original outfits like, say, the broadway show did, they'd still be ignoring the criticisms about why those choices were considered to be offensive in the first place (even for a fantasy setting), and help cement the wrong imagery in everyone's heads. That's not gonna fly in these times of getting representation and diversity right. You can get away with cultural inaccuracies in the European tales, but it's way more apparent in the non-European ones and weighs a lot more against the people it represents cause there's so little out there.

If they went the route they did here, which is make vastly more accurate and respectful outfits that are still loosely based on/influenced by the originals, everyone's upset or underwhelmed that they aren't the highly-stylized, cliche stereotypes they were expecting because of the animated film or whatever other film based in the middle east they have on their minds. Cause it's really saying a lot that people keep pointing to India/Bollywood movies right now for where Disney should have pulled their inspiration from for this film when that region is not considered part of the middle east (despite Disney using some of it for the original film - most notably the palace/the taj mahal - and recently in the face character's redesigned outfits in the parks and merchandise). Like I said, they created this problem and were kind of damned if they do/damned if they don't either way.

But all of these costume choices make a lot of sense when compared to their original and I'm not just saying that because I love this film/story. Everyone keeps asking "why can't it be more like the animated film?!" But the animated movie is just that - animated. What designs work in a film you're drawing by hand wouldn't necessarily translate well in a live-action form without CGI-ing it to death, and that applies to not just the outfits but to their designs in general (all that hair, for example) and the environments they're in.

Plus, I really, REALLY don't care if Genie isn't blue, which is another thing people are crying about Laughing. It has 0.0% relevancy to his characterization, especially since we're not going by the original symbolic color scheme of blue = good/red = bad. Blue/purple characters are often racially coded as black/african in animated properties anyway, so....
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And like, this movie has always been a middle eastern/south asian/north african grab bag, so trying to streamline the look and feel of this new movie in to just one of those regions would have been...not disastrous, but lacking what makes the original unique - for better or worse. The casting faced this same issue.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Keep it, I'll stick with the original" - someone who hasn't watched the original since they were five Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as the teaser got me hyped, this article got me worried quite a bit.

First off seems like the no animal sidekicks thing was a lie as it's clear Rajah, Abu and possibly Iago are in it, according to those articles. I don't mind it personally, though makes me question why they said no animals then. Guess Disney wanted to add them in actually as the production went on.

For the most part I do like the costumes. Jasmine looks quite nice actually and even Aladdin is quite good. I actually really like Jafar's look, they captured it quite nicely. I only dislike WillGenie's outlook: I find it a bit too much with all the accessories and such. I get what they were going for (I think at least), but I just prefer simpler stuff in terms of outlook plus reading about how WillGenie is gonna be...I guess it fits?

I do respect that Will not try to imitate Robin and just take his own spin on Genie. What I'm worried though is that his take would alter the core of Genie's personality quite a bit, and not in a good way.
"When Aladdin first stumbles across the lamp in the Cave of Wonders, a big cerulean cloud whooshes out of the spout, forming into Smith’s goateed Genie, complete with a topknot. After a quick musical introduction, Smith’s swagger shines through as he asks a dumbstruck Aladdin, “You really don’t know who I am? Genie…wishes…lamp? None of that ringing a bell? Wow, that’s a first.” Ritchie explains that Smith’s Genie is more self-aware. “I like the fact that our Genie has an ego and is a little bit vain and he cares about how he’s presented because he’s been doing this for a very long time.” After all, the Fresh Prince knows how to make an entrance."

The self-aware thing is okay, he's a showman, but the ego and vain part...that worries me. I can say many things about Genie but not those 2 and I fear if those things get too much attention they might make WillGenie quite unlikable.

About the "he's not blue" complains. I don't mind it much, I just hope he will be good or least likable. I didn't expect them to replicate the animated version anyway.

What worries me more though is the Jasmine part of the article. Now, my problem is not about them trying to give her more role. I do think if the movie properly executes the whole 'becoming a good ruler for the people' thing, it will be a very nice addition. Least they will actually make use of the extra time this movie gets and further explores the characters.

My problem comes from their wording, saying how she's gonna be more like today's feminists... I'm sorry, but I can't help but fear that they might go overboard with this and even do the same mistakes as some other recent stuff did *cough The Last Jedi, Doctor Who S11 cough* . I really hope I will be proved wrong on this, but right now it makes me quite worried on this part.

I'm happy to hear that the friendship between Aladdin and WillGenie will still play a huge part in the movie. Glad to hear that and I hope it will be executed very well. I also do like Aladdin so far, seems like the actor is quite fitting actually.

I still want to see the trailer to really get a taste of the whole movie, but I really question just how different is it gonna be from the original. Really do only major changes so far seem to be Jasmine's development (dear god pls, don't screw that up like other franchises in recent years), Will's take on Genie and the Prince who has yet to be shown. Everything else, including the animal sidekicks, seem to be the very same, which I'm a bit disappointed, because it gives me BatB 2017 feeling that it's mostly the same but with small changes that instead of making things better actually harm the overall film more.

Again, I do hope I will be proved wrong, but I'm bit cautious to say the least, especially after watching Doctor Who S11 which was...not good to say the least (decent to good premises, horrible execution and messed up priorities). Hopefully we will get the first trailer soon, showing us what we can expect in May.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was shocked when I saw Abu and read Rajah was in it. Maybe the no animals thing was a rumor or an early production decision that changed? Where did we hear they wouldn't have them in there anyway?

I'm wondering if the slightly vain and a little egocentric thing is meant to be in contrast to Aladdin's real lack of those things (since he often fakes it himself). Therefore, in passing, it gives Aladdin a little confidence to believe in himself more in a good way, as opposed to the bad way he tries to emulate when he sees how other genuinely vain and egocentric princes act. I don't think it's going to make Genie unlikeable though. If anything it might steal the spotlight from Aladdin a little bit as that often happens in the Broadway and stage musicals.

So, okay, name something you feel like does empowering roles for women correctly? Cause DW S11 was the most understated feminist season yet Laughing. Besides like three jokes about her gender changing and how that affected what was happening at the time, it was never brought up again that you're dealing with a woman. If Steven Moffat or Russell T. Davies were still show runners they would have brought that up every other episode or made some awful sexist joke that's passed off as clever and brilliant British humor.

Jasmine in the animated film is a classic 90s feminist that's outfitted with all the goals women had at the time (most notably individualism and strength), and all I think they're saying here is they'll update what's already a part of her character to be less of the canned "girl power" statements a lot of us grew up on. It can't be any worse than "I am not a prize to be won" Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Yeah, I was shocked when I saw Abu and read Rajah was in it. Maybe the no animals thing was a rumor or an early production decision that changed? Where did we hear they wouldn't have them in there anyway?

Not sure anymore where I read it, but it was definitely mentioned before, least in the early stages of the production.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I'm wondering if the slightly vain and a little egocentric thing is meant to be in contrast to Aladdin's real lack of those things (since he often fakes it himself). Therefore, in passing, it gives Aladdin a little confidence to believe in himself more in a good way, as opposed to the bad way he tries to emulate when he sees how other genuinely vain and egocentric princes act. I don't think it's going to make Genie unlikeable though. If anything it might steal the spotlight from Aladdin a little bit as that often happens in the Broadway and stage musicals.

If that's their intention and they will handle it well, I can live with that, though still worried that they might execute this badly. Probably more of a personal bias here though, as I admittedly not fan of egoist, vain people.Confused

AladdinsGenie wrote:
So, okay, name something you feel like does empowering roles for women correctly? Cause DW S11 was the most understated feminist season yet Laughing. Besides like three jokes about her gender changing and how that affected what was happening at the time, it was never brought up again that you're dealing with a woman. If Steven Moffat or Russell T. Davies were still show runners they would have brought that up every other episode or made some awful sexist joke that's passed off as clever and brilliant British humor.

Terminator, Aliens franchises that comes to my mind atm, though I would even include BatB, just to have a Disney example as well.
My issue with DW11 is mostly with the poor writing and some behind the scene stuff that came from the crew, mostly from Chibnall and Jodie. They kept promoting how Jodie's take on the Doctor will be such a great role model for girls and such when in reality it turned out rather shallow. She's only surface, no actual depth and even when she does questionable stuff, nobody questions her once or say that maybe she was wrong.

I do give you the point though on that her gender was barely brought up. That's true and kinda happy about it. However they did brought it up as a major plotpoint in episode 8, Witchfinders and honestly, it was handled so badly. Her keep saying how it was bad for her being a woman almost all the time not only was annoying but it made her character also look stupid overall (although I liked her little speech towards King James I).

Except those sexist jokes were already criticized heavily even in their eras (and I'm not fan of them either) and honestly I'm happy we don't have these. What makes me disappointed though is how they try to portray Jodie's Doctor perfect, when it's clearly not working out well and even makes the character feeling quite one-dimensional.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Jasmine in the animated film is a classic 90s feminist that's outfitted with all the goals women had at the time (most notably individualism and strength), and all I think they're saying here is they'll update what's already a part of her character to be less of the canned "girl power" statements a lot of us grew up on. It can't be any worse than "I am not a prize to be won" Laughing

I'm aware of that. Feminism itself is not bad, just how it's been recently what I'm kinda not fan of and I fear that they will go that route and might even turn out quite badly. I'm all for giving her more character development and depth, but seeing recent media, I can't help but be cautious on this. Plus hearing that they make songs that will be empowering for women...yeah, I'm bit cautious on this and not happy about it.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thoughts:

About Jasmine: "Wow, she is beautiful!"
About Aladdin: "And he is...um...well, there he is."

I could say a lot more, but zitagirl summed up my thoughts pretty nicely. :b
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I don’t really know how I feel about these outfits. I completely understand what AG said about in regards to the various issues that arose due to past outfit choices, but these.... they just look kinda cheap to me. Like, the crappy costumes for the characters in the parks.

Aladdin’s red vest is giving me some major Marty McFly vibes. Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to not spend much time on the internet since I'm home for the holidays, so I'll be brief.

Jasmine's costume looks tacky IMO, but I like everybody else's. She's a little whiter than I would have picked, but I'm also half white and auditioned so I'm not really allowed to complain haha.

Aladdin looks all-around perfect to me. I like the Will Smith ideas, just a little hesitant because his recent track record hasn't been great.

Feminist Jasmine scares me a little, which I've talked about before. But Imma not complain until I see it!

Sets look awesome. SO glad they're physical sets!!
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they wanting Aladdin to be older? Because he doesn’t even look remotely like a teenager. He definitely looks like late twenties/early thirties.

I didn’t want to be too critical, but I can’t pretend I like this so far. I am especially disappointed with the casting of Aladdin. But I won’t vent about it too much, haha. I’m glad you all approve of him!
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that they definitely bumped up the characters’ ages. I’m pretty sure that the actor playing Aladdin is in his late 20’s and he looks it, but shows/movies have older people play teens all of the time. Who knows? Plus, he’s Canadian. I may be a little partial to that Smile

I’m with you, imekitty. I’m conflicted on how to feel about this movie. Like, I’m excited that it is actually happening, but I’m not sure how it will actually go. I can already see all of the people freaking out over every little thing.

I guess we will just have to wait and see Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum