Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - 10 Aladdin songs ranked by Screenrant
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 Aladdin songs ranked by Screenrant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: 10 Aladdin songs ranked by Screenrant Reply with quote

On Facebook, I stumbled upon this list featuring 10 Aladdin songs ranked from best to worst. The songs on the list are only from the original 1992 film and the 2019 live action remake, and doesn’t have any songs from RoJ or KoT. And are they kidding me with the choice they picked for #2?!

https://screenrant.com/aladdin-songs-ranked-top-ten/
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo lol what

It's cool to see some of the score themes get props though! "To Be Free" is part of why I wanted to study film score!

YouTube personality Todd in the Shadows made a video many years ago ranking the songs from 1992. I can't find it anymore, likely because there was a big falling out with his production company years back. But he put AWNW at #1 and every version that isn't the in-movie version in last place. I think of it often Laughing
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Noooo lol what

It's cool to see some of the score themes get props though! "To Be Free" is part of why I wanted to study film score!

YouTube personality Todd in the Shadows made a video many years ago ranking the songs from 1992. I can't find it anymore, likely because there was a big falling out with his production company years back. But he put AWNW at #1 and every version that isn't the in-movie version in last place. I think of it often Laughing

AWNW, the version played during the film would be at the top of my list as well. With the exception of the Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle version, and the version from the broadway adaptation, all the versions other than those and the original are garbage.
Robo4900
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd put Whole New World in last place. It's a great song, but I've always loved the others more.
Friend Like Me's definitely my favourite, then Prince Ali and Arabian Nights are probably about even for second place.

Though if we're counting cut songs, High Adventure takes the #2 spot.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!!
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"a Middle Eastern Spider-Man" Laughing Laughing Laughing

You know, I'd go ahead and give it to Friend Like Me as well, if only because renditions of it from the original to stage versions to the Live Action movie are consistently solid. Everyone seems to be on the same page that it's meant to be a fun song so you can go as wild and crazy with it as you like, whereas everyone always takes liberties with the other songs that can be hit or miss depending on your interpretation (like AWNW as more of a slow intimate ballad between two people falling in love or one that's trying to capture the feeling of the initial rush of falling in love with someone for the first time).

Also, I won't take this "The Kiss" erasure on my watch. Alan Menken was savage for those violins Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looooove "The Kiss." I was actively disappointed when the violins were replaced by horns in 2019 and when they didn't take that high note. And I'm a horn player, so that's saying something Laughing
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, they rapped Friend like Me and didn't put Arabian Nights on top? I know, it's just my tastes and not anyone else's, but... well, the point of such discussions is to give your own opinion, isn't it?
And my opinion is that Arabian Nights is by far the best Aladdin song and that Friend like Me shouldn't have been touched.
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I looooove "The Kiss." I was actively disappointed when the violins were replaced by horns in 2019 and when they didn't take that high note. And I'm a horn player, so that's saying something Laughing

I didn’t know that.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Falcon wrote:
Meesh wrote:

I didn’t know that.

I've linked to the specific times the theme happens in the scenes:

1992:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW3j4AyIsPg&t=1m16s

2019:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLzK5gyHB2A&t=0m45s

*Says in snootiest voice* As a composer, I try to avoid playing a melody twice in the exact same way consecutively. In 1992, the violinist plays the second line differently from the first, which I find more musical and romantic. In 2019, the line plays twice exactly the same. Also, I don't mind using horns instead of violin per se. Different=/=bad. But I think a solo horn player would have been tonally more appropriate than multiple horns playing together. Solo instruments are better at creating intimacy. It's also not the most emotive key for horns.

I do like that they play around with timing. The theme comes in as Al/Jas withdraw in 2019, as opposed to 1992 using it to build up to the kiss. Makes the moment more sweet-romantic than sweeping-romantic. Both are nice Smile
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, change isn't necessarily bad, I do like some covers/remakes more than the original songs... But when I'm done reviewing some
apartments for sale in Barcelona to conduct a market analysis or other kind of task I have at work, the 1992 OST soothes me while the 2019 one doesn't.

Last edited by Hussar_303 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure nostalgia plays a part in that too Wink
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I sadly think that it's both nostalgia goggles doing their job and the fact that we formed our taste in another day and time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum