Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Ideas For Possible Live-action Aladdin Sequel Discussion
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas For Possible Live-action Aladdin Sequel Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desert flower
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Ideas For Possible Live-action Aladdin Sequel Discussion Reply with quote

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/17/aladdin-producer-confirms-sequel-will-not-remake-return-jafar-10761393/

I'm actually glad the film makers want to go their own way instead of creating a straightforward Return of Jafar remake. I was thinking about compiling different elements from Return of Jafar and King of Thieves into one movie. Sa`luk could find the lamp instead of Abis Mal. (He was a horrible character.) My story line would involve the thieves remaining loyal to Cassim and banishing Sa`luk from the lair. During his wanderings he discovers the lamp and things take off from that point.

I'm not sure if the genie still has powers since he was turned into a human. I only watched the 2019 Aladdin movie one time. It would be great if he still had some magical abilities and would prove necessary for the plot. I'd like to see the oracle and the vanishing isle included in the story line somehow. Since Aladdin and Jasmine are already married the staff could be given to them for another reason. Jasmine needs to be a part of the action. Her role in both animated sequels was limited. That's all I've got for the moment. What are your ideas or thoughts?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking was more along yours in that they'd combine the two movies since it's sort of impossible to do ROJ with how the new movie ended.

I like your idea, though. I've been doing a rewatch of the series and I'm noticing Genie's magic is really not needed. It's more a comic device than anything useful after he gets freed, so he could be there for magic-related information. They are screwed with Carpet, though, they 100% need him Laughing

My thing is what are they gonna do with Iago.
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do a sequel (and knowing it did a big cash for Disney they will sure do one) I rather see a new plot that uses some elements from the original triology and series. Although now that I think about it, a serialized continuation would be the most satisfying for me, as that gives tons of space for world-building as well as interesting plots and character developments. Heck, with how the deleted scene (or rather book ending) confirms the timeskip, they could even focus on the children and how they are in the world.

As for Genie... it was pretty much confirmed that he's just a regular mortal now. In live-action world it seems that genies are just turned humans by magic trapped to serve others and when they get freed they return back to normal. Personally not too fond of this as this makes genies not a species of their own plus it makes magic look bad where in the animated it was mostly neutral and depended on the user whether it was used for good or bad.

Though honestly... I do not want to see a sequel announcement for at least a few years. I want them to make one because they actually have a story to tell (and this time is actually well-executed, not mixed up like in LA one) instead of just rushing it to make a quick buck.
Robo4900
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
As for Genie... it was pretty much confirmed that he's just a regular mortal now.

Not really. That was implied, but never really shown. We don't see him using magic, but there's nothing to say he can't still do some stuff.

They could very easily, in the next movie, say he's still able to do some wizardry, but only little things.
To be honest though, I'd be happy to see him just be Aladdin's best buddy who's more worldly and generally together.

The way I imagine the film happening is it opens somewhat similarly to King Of Thieves in that the Genie comes back to Agrabah for Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding, but something crazy happens that messes everything up.

One thing I think could be fun if they took cues from the two original sequels would be to have Cassim have, like, the wedding ring from Aladdin's mother around his neck, which is drawn attention to once or twice, and it becomes a Checkov's gun as it contains a Genie of the Ring, who comes out in the end to fight Jafar. Sort of a tribute to the original Howad Ashman draft
Bonus points if the Genie of the Ring is played by James Monroe Iglehart, Dan Castellaneta, or Scott Weinger or some other fun casting gag.

But the #1 thing I'd like to see is, assuming they do bring Cassim into it, they should do a rendition of Proud Of Your Boy in the film.
And if they end up doing a large-scale genie battle of sorts, particularly if it's anything like what I suggested above, they should bring in High Adventure.
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robo4900 wrote:
zitagirl wrote:
As for Genie... it was pretty much confirmed that he's just a regular mortal now.

Not really. That was implied, but never really shown. We don't see him using magic, but there's nothing to say he can't still do some stuff.

They could very easily, in the next movie, say he's still able to do some wizardry, but only little things.
To be honest though, I'd be happy to see him just be Aladdin's best buddy who's more worldly and generally together.

The way I imagine the film happening is it opens somewhat similarly to King Of Thieves in that the Genie comes back to Agrabah for Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding, but something crazy happens that messes everything up.

One thing I think could be fun if they took cues from the two original sequels would be to have Cassim have, like, the wedding ring from Aladdin's mother around his neck, which is drawn attention to once or twice, and it becomes a Checkov's gun as it contains a Genie of the Ring, who comes out in the end to fight Jafar. Sort of a tribute to the original Howad Ashman draft
Bonus points if the Genie of the Ring is played by James Monroe Iglehart, Dan Castellaneta, or Scott Weinger or some other fun casting gag.

But the #1 thing I'd like to see is, assuming they do bring Cassim into it, they should do a rendition of Proud Of Your Boy in the film.
And if they end up doing a large-scale genie battle of sorts, particularly if it's anything like what I suggested above, they should bring in High Adventure.

It was heavily implied that he's a human now, especially if we consider how Genie wished to become human (plus there's a little underlying theme of power is wrong including magic apparently, but that's just my opinion) plus the times we see him after the events of the story (when he tells the story to his kids plus in the book ending where they arrive to Agrabah, visiting the royal family). He doesn't really show nay signs of having magic (neither do others around him). Technically they could do for the sequel "oh, he does have powers", but it would be a bit iffy imo and technically going against what the character wanted as well as the new theme the movie created.

Honestly I rather just him remain normal human and like you said just be a good friend to Aladdin.

Technically they already got married in the new movie. Ending kinda shows them getting married actually, so that is out of the window. How about the 0 thieves causing troubles in their kingdom and one day they attacked the capital to like in the animated movie get the Oracle?

Uhm, I rather not have that plotline. It raises too many questions (such as why she or Cassim never used that. surely they would have eventually figure out that the ring is magical) plus honestly I rather not have a deus ex machina. Genie at least got a well-rounded personality, i don't want another genie right at the end, just to solve the issue.

I would love to see Proud of Your Boy. Such a very nice song and hoped they would include it in new movie, but alas.

Funny that I say this as I like shonen anime in general, but I rather not have that kind of a climax. One the other genie would be a deus ex machina, making it hard to actually care about them. Second, it would make Aladdin and the gang feel useless as they need another genie to actually defeat Jafar (I know Return of Jafar is not the greatest movie ever, but honestly I liked that they actually used their brain there to defeat Jafar, let alone the part where Iago does the final blow. Made the actual battle more personal, actually feeling worried about our heroes).

Plus let's face it, if they end up having another genie, they could easily wish to either be able to destroy Jafar's lamp or simply just wish it to have Jafar sealed away once again. So yeah, I think it's better if we don't bring in any more genies, let alone use them to defeat Jafar.

Actually now that I think about it, I didn't really think of how they could continue the movie. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent movie, but I'm not invested in nor really caught my interest as the original franchise did. At best I thought about some elements such as Shirabad and maybe how Aladdin and Jasmine would handle ruling.
Robo4900
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
Uhm, I rather not have that plotline. It raises too many questions (such as why she or Cassim never used that. surely they would have eventually figure out that the ring is magical)

I never said that no one would realise the ring was magical. The point would be that Cassim knows it's magical, and perhaps he used it for the wrong reasons at one time. Maybe he swore never to use it again after it caused some real trouble.

zitagirl wrote:
plus honestly I rather not have a deus ex machina. Genie at least got a well-rounded personality, i don't want another genie right at the end, just to solve the issue.

Well, again, it would have to be set up properly. Just having another genie suddenly turn up and fix everything would be very dumb. This was just a rough idea, no details, so naturally it's a bit haphazard. Smile

zitagirl wrote:
I would love to see Proud of Your Boy. Such a very nice song and hoped they would include it in new movie, but alas.

Saaame. And there was a perfect moment for them to do it too; when Aladdin and Jasmine were talking about their parents, and Jasmine was noodling on that instrument at his home, they could've done like a duet arrangement of it or something.

zitagirl wrote:
Funny that I say this as I like shonen anime in general, but I rather not have that kind of a climax. One the other genie would be a deus ex machina, making it hard to actually care about them. Second, it would make Aladdin and the gang feel useless as they need another genie to actually defeat Jafar (I know Return of Jafar is not the greatest movie ever, but honestly I liked that they actually used their brain there to defeat Jafar, let alone the part where Iago does the final blow. Made the actual battle more personal, actually feeling worried about our heroes).

Plus let's face it, if they end up having another genie, they could easily wish to either be able to destroy Jafar's lamp or simply just wish it to have Jafar sealed away once again. So yeah, I think it's better if we don't bring in any more genies, let alone use them to defeat Jafar.

That's fair.
The idea in my head was either that the point would be putting the impetus on Cassim to get over himself and do the right thing, or -- again, referring back to the original Ashman draft -- the ring genie would be kind of pathetic, and bringing him out would be almost like a joke; it looks like the direction of the plot is "Get the new genie to solve our problem", but his powers are a bit pathetic, so he can't really help out much. In the original draft, the role of the ring genie in the story itself ended up basically being him giving the gang a pep talk (in the form of the first verse of High Adventure), and summoning them a magic carpet to take them to face Jafar.
Or maybe instead of having the ring on him, Cassim put it away somewhere after the last time he used it, ages ago, and the film's midsection involves leaving Agrabah to go on a quest to find the genie ring. And then in the end, perhaps at best it ends up that the ring genie can keep Jafar on his toes, but they're doing damage to Agrabah in the process, and Jafar's showing no signs of weakening; he's a genie after all, so the main characters would still only be able to actually save the day by thinking up something clever, such as destroying Jafar's lamp.

Again, this is a rough idea. Not seriously plotting out anything, just throwing out ideas that I think might be fun in a potential sequel to Aladdin to give us something new and fun.

zitagirl wrote:
Actually now that I think about it, I didn't really think of how they could continue the movie. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent movie, but I'm not invested in nor really caught my interest as the original franchise did. At best I thought about some elements such as Shirabad and maybe how Aladdin and Jasmine would handle ruling.

Well, for me, the stuff about this film I really liked were generally the parts that differed from the original film, so this crew working on a new film that's very much its own thing, that seems quite exciting to me.

They might just end up with another okay Aladdin sequel, but hey, they did a fun film already, no reason the next one won't at least be a fun time.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's fair enough though still would be weird that how Aladdin supposed to have it for years, but not once he rubbed it or anything.

Yeah I known, needs proper set up, but given how the new movie was... later.

Eh, may not be the best fit there, considering what the song is actually about. Could imagine it being put in a later scene though.

f we truly want to refer Ashman's draft, I rather bring back the mother and Proud of Your Boy. Like let us see Cassim and her in the past as he lives to find the Hand of Midas or something else if the story demands it.

For the genie of the ring being that weak... I'm afraid that would be too much like Dan's Genie, which can turn out annoying way too easily (like series Genie, but sometimes the writers went with a very annoying style for him) and even make people question what's their point in the story.

*Gets Indiana Jones vibe* Technically it could work, just need to make the actual journey plus the characters well done. Other half could work out well though and wouldn't even weird given how the franchise is.

Sorry for being a bit too critical. I'm a bit too focused on story-telling as I myself want to create good stories for people. Can't help but overthinking these stuff.

Well, can't say they didn't differ from the original movie, I can fully admit they did add some new stuff in, even if only on idea level. But the actual executions of these.... Not fan of them, especially not with the character arcs. I would give them a chance though on a new movie, since then they are not forced to follow the original story-line so hard (kinda noticeable how some new stuff don't mix well with the old one, leaving them very rough and surface level, leaving next to no impact on the actual storyline). Just hoping they will actually execute the characters as well.

Depends. For me it wasn't really fun (not fan of cringe humor) and overall not too fond of the new movie. It has some elements I do like (actually enjoyed first act a lot), but not really enough for me to ignore the issues, especially with the characters.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo what if they actually tell the next part of the original story (with the rocs egg and stuff).
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Yo what if they actually tell the next part of the original story (with the rocs egg and stuff).

You mean the original Arabian Nights story? I'll be honest, I'm not too familiar with the original tale, so I'll have to look into that. But... Care to offer your take on how this might work for a film? Smile

zitagirl wrote:
Ah, that's fair enough though still would be weird that how Aladdin supposed to have it for years, but not once he rubbed it or anything.

Yeah I known, needs proper set up, but given how the new movie was... later.

Eh, may not be the best fit there, considering what the song is actually about. Could imagine it being put in a later scene though.

f we truly want to refer Ashman's draft, I rather bring back the mother and Proud of Your Boy. Like let us see Cassim and her in the past as he lives to find the Hand of Midas or something else if the story demands it.

For the genie of the ring being that weak... I'm afraid that would be too much like Dan's Genie, which can turn out annoying way too easily (like series Genie, but sometimes the writers went with a very annoying style for him) and even make people question what's their point in the story.

*Gets Indiana Jones vibe* Technically it could work, just need to make the actual journey plus the characters well done. Other half could work out well though and wouldn't even weird given how the franchise is.

All fair notes. Though note I said Cassim would have the ring, not Aladdin.

zitagirl wrote:
Sorry for being a bit too critical. I'm a bit too focused on story-telling as I myself want to create good stories for people. Can't help but overthinking these stuff.

Hey buddy, it's fine. Great, even. I'm like that too, and I do appreciate having an opposite point of view, so overthink away! Smile

zitagirl wrote:
Well, can't say they didn't differ from the original movie, I can fully admit they did add some new stuff in, even if only on idea level. But the actual executions of these.... Not fan of them, especially not with the character arcs. I would give them a chance though on a new movie, since then they are not forced to follow the original story-line so hard (kinda noticeable how some new stuff don't mix well with the old one, leaving them very rough and surface level, leaving next to no impact on the actual storyline). Just hoping they will actually execute the characters as well.

Fair.
As you note, the original storyline and the changes did sometimes not gel all that well. I do feel the film's main problem was this sort of odd middleground it found, where it wasn't all that distinct from the original, but it wasn't all that similar either.
As I say, I enjoyed the film, particularly in the ways it was different, and I feel the way to improve is to do its own thing.

zitagirl wrote:
Depends. For me it wasn't really fun (not fan of cringe humor) and overall not too fond of the new movie. It has some elements I do like (actually enjoyed first act a lot), but not really enough for me to ignore the issues, especially with the characters.

Fair. I'm not a big fan of cringe humour either, but I thought a lot of the stuff like the party scene, basically everything about Will Smith's take on the Genie, a lot of the first act was all fun stuff.

The characters... I'm interested to hear more of what you have to say about them specifically. Myself, I thought Jasmine felt like an attempt to modernise the original, but mostly just in the most token of ways, I thought her arc was frustrating, but her characterisation was okay. Aladdin himself, I thought was fine. Abu was less expressive but seemed about right. The Genie was fun. Jafar, I feel, was about halfway to being a really interesting alternate take on the character who could have really stood out, but either the actor didn't ham it up enough, or the director was afraid of tapping into something too different from the original... Like a lot of the film's more messy elements, he really didn't work.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just copying and pasting from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The sorcerer's more powerful and evil brother plots to destroy Aladdin for killing his brother by disguising himself as an old woman known for her healing powers. Badroulbadour falls for his disguise and commands the "woman" to stay in her palace in case of any illnesses. Aladdin is warned of this danger by the genie of the lamp and slays the imposter. Everyone lives happily ever after, Aladdin eventually succeeding to his father-in-law's throne.

The part it leaves out is that the magician tries to get them to hang a roc's egg up for decor, which apparently is a huuuuuge no-no that nobody but the Genie knows about.

Not sure how this would be implemented. If they forget about Jafar for this movie and introduce a new villain, the villain could follow the pretend-to-be-a-mystic thing. Could even add drama by the villain making somebody (maybe the sultan) ill and claim to be the only one who knows how to heal them. They could even be a real mystic.

Being inside the palace could open up a villain's opportunity to observe dynamics between the characters and get very close to them and their problems. I know Jafar did this, but he was only trusted by secondary characters. It could be implemented horrendously, or it could be interesting.

Perhaps the day is somewhat saved when Genie and his family show up before the third act, be the only ones to see the trouble, and help save the day.

Plot twist: The sultan was sick BEFORE the mystic showed up but hid it well, and he dies in the end, officially leaving the kingdom to Jasmine.
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for only replying back now. I got a pretty bad fever on Wednesday and since then I have had a pretty nasty stomach bug and only now it started to calm down.

Ah, my bad on that then. Thought you still implied Aladdin as you did mention Al would have that ring for his wedding.

Oh, that's nice to hear. Usually people are not too fond of differing opinions these days (social media is both a blessing and a curse).

They sure tried to please everyone (both who want the old stuff and those who want new), but for me it just didn't work. Mainly by seeing how the movie gets confused in its own themes and story-line and even say characters. I can mostly explain this when I will write about the characters here as I do believe Aladdin is a more character-focused story, but to say this in short: they wanted to push both the old and new narrative, but didn't think them through properly so they kinda gets tangled and even contradict each other.

Glad you find them good, wish I could be like that as well. For me I just couldn't enjoy it, seeing what these told about the characters (will explain this more at Genie).

Oh boy, this is gonna be long. essay incoming. Pls don't hate me for these.

I liked Jasmine's arc...as an idea. Her wanting to be a good ruler is a nice idea and would definitely fit Jasmine later in her life. But how they actually did that in the movie? Big no.
First off for how she supposed to be the best suited to be ruler, who knows everything and cares about people, she suddenly doesn't know that money is a thing and kinda needed? At first I thought "oh hey, maybe we actually see her learn and actually become a good leader for her people, but after that we just basically got how she's perfect for this because "this is what I prepared for for my whole life" (yet she don't know what money is and that people actually have to pay for stuff...) and just the people around her are bad and that's when I realised that this is that kind of modern female character type, which I'm not too fond of.

I get what they wanted to show with her giving a loaf of bread to the kid (show that she's good hearted and cares about people), but they should have done that better if they really wanted this whole becoming a ruler arc. Naomi Scott's acting was fine though, I give them that.

Plus that song... it's okay on its own (like the lyrics in Hungarian, but not big fan of it otherwise) but the scene... It just feels off. Her snapping away everyone in her head is just doesn't feel right.

What made me annoyed about her though is that if you watched the deleted scenes, they actually have moments where she's further developed, we actually see her views, issues well and understandably, while also getting opposites views that aren't bad by default, but also see the actual issues through interactions and some decent visual story-telling.

Plus if I really want to be nitpicky: if they added Dhalia in, so Jasmine is not alone, and by Aladdin's words it seems Dhalia can go outside the palace: why she didn't do that for Jasmine and report back on how the city is? Least that way we actually have a use for Dhalia in the actual plot while also giving us and Jasmine a way to understand what could be the issues in Agrabah and even see why she could potentially be a good ruler for the people: she sees things her father doesn't due to Jafar's influence.

Aladdin is... very weird case. In first act, I actually liked him and even though I disagree with the new theme "power makes you evil" and the whole 'hero and villain are similar' trope, I do say in the first act, it was handled decently. They showed us that he does seem to be into fortune while also having a decent heart. Really my only issue here is the undermining of the diamond in the rough, because just based on he first scenes with him, he doesn't really come out as this good-hearted man just in a bad situation.

Second act though... completely dropped any hints of him being into fortune or that power even gets to him and instead he kept being showed as a nervous idiot, who doesn't even try to pretend to be a prince. Seriously, I tried so hard to see the actual progression of him starting to "drink from the cup" and power getting to him, but I found NOTHING. Most of the time he's freaking nervous about the whole prince thing, doesn't enjoy it, he got embarrassed, when he talked to Jafar he didn't even give a notion he would agree with him at all. Really the only time he enjoyed being a prince are when he was impressing Jasmine with dance and the whole flying carpet scene and I don't really credit those scenes as "he was happy because he has power and fortune now".

I could say that maybe he started to being like "that guy" due to wanting to be with Jasmine... but then the breaking the promise part throws that out of the window, hard. Not only his reasoning to not grant Genie's freedom is basically "well, it's better to be a prince than a street rat", but Jasmine only comes up due to Genie bringing her name up... only for Aladdin dismiss it immediately and say he's more than willing to keep lying to her just to remain a prince.

I get it, even in the original Aladdin broke his promise to Genie, but the conflict there was not "well, I prefer to being a prince", but rather him not sure if he can keep up this alone, actually becoming a sultan, knowing that even with the wish, he was still just a street rat deep inside. It was his insecurity and low self-esteem getting onto him. You can even see that it pains him telling this to his friend, while new Aladdin is almost boasting about how Genie should be happy about him wanting to remain a prince.While his decision was obviously wrong, we could understand him and actually still care about him in the animated, while in LA... I just can't.

At that point, I couldn't care about Aladdin, I just couldn't. Why should I care about someone who just decides to screw over his supposed friend because "it's better to remain a prince", especially with how in the supposed part of the movie where he should have gotten the transition to this very scene is they couldn't even be bothered to build it up other than a comment from Aladdin enjoying prince life after the carpet ride...

But fine, a hero falls (even if horribly executed here), but surely they don't screw up the redemption part, right? They just skipped that. They couldn't even show us him realising "hmm, maybe I was wrong" and right after Jafar stealing the lamp (btw, Aladdin there is still very douchy) suddenly he's back to normal, singing how he has to tell Jasmine the truth. Okay...

And basically from here, he's back to how he was in the first act, just now implied that he knows power is bad. Again, the transition between these stages of himself are not found, which are kinda a problem in a supposed character-focused story, especially at the main character.

I get for many Aladdin was likeable, especially thanks to Mena being hot, but I just couldn't like or even care about him after that promise breaking scene. Actually, that scene probably has the most issues and highlights the most with how the new elements are not mixing well with the old ones.

I can't say much about the animals here. They are okay, but nothing to really talk about. They are just normal animals now with very little real personality. I only remember Iago a bit, but that's mostly thanks to the Hungarian dub having the OG VA for Iago again.

I'm gonna go full honest here: my opinion on Will Genie is heavily subjective and personal fr numerous reasons, mostly due to that Genie is one of my all time favourite characters and that he heavily impacted my life and still does to the point I freely admit here that I look up to him as a father-figure. Plus if I want to be objective I get why people like his interpretation of the character, even though to me this kinda implies that Genie is not a character, but just a puppet different actors can use and change into their liking. Will Smith does act well, even if the direction gets weird at times.

With that said: I hate this Genie. Sorry, I just can't like him.
Now, I do get what they were going for: a more jaded genie who is actually closer to how genies are portrayed mostly in the West, especially with the twisting the wishes part. Fine idea, but Genie is none of that.

Will Genie is simply unbearable to me in second act. Him boasting his ego nonstop, looking down on Aladdin in every possible way and just caring more about himself than anyone is just really off-putting for me. These traits also applies to his jokes: all of his jokes either to boast his ego further or to make Aladdin feel bad. Seriously, when Genie told Aladdin to go back to his room, so HE could enjoy the party, I was seriously shocked. Genie would never do that to any of his friends or just to people in general, not even to Iago.

Sure, OG Genie is a showman and I would lie if I said he has no jaded side (it's quite noticeable at when he makes the Pinocchio reference plus when Aladdin breaks the promise. Being hurt by a supposed friend really brought that out of him and can't blame him for that), but Genie was always good-hearted, sensitive and just kind to people. He's basically a sad clown who despite his situation he still tries to be good to people. He jokes to entertain both himself and others, he gives everyone a chance, he tries to see the good in people and just help them out both physically and emotionally.

So why, why toss all of this away and just give him the complete opposite? Sure, Will Genie starts to resemble OG Genie more at the final act (although more and more it feels like it's just due to the plot), but in the second act? Just why? Are those traits I just listed are not part of his character? Only his joking side matters and that he's blue? *sighs*

Also, can I just say how even his subplot with Dhalia is just off for the character? We get next to nothing why he likes Dhalia, he just simply says "I'm thirsty" and bam, he loves Dhalia now. Really? is Will Genie really that surface level? Not even for his supposed love he actually looks further than the outside? Just no...

And due to this new personality, I just couldn't see how they would become friends. Like, he keeps treating Aladdin pretty badly, really only helping him due to the wish forcing him and when it's beneficial to him. Why would Aladdin befriend someone, who otherwise treats him pretty badly? Sorry, I just don't see their friendship here, despite that was one of my favourite elements in the animated movie.

And in the third act, the movie keeps making you want to feel sad for Genie, to the point his characterization changes once again suddenly becoming selfless and only caring about others (and people actually say now how Will Genie is better, because of this scene and why OG Genie got mad at Aladdin. Yeah sure, how dare Genie get mad at his closest friend breaking his promise and his only chance for freedom?...), when just about 5-10 mins ago he only helped Aladdin so he could have a date with Dhalia.

And here's a very weird problem the movie makes. Genie starts telling Aladdin that Genie magic is just illusion and that in reality he's not a prince. Okay, so all is just illusion: then why is Jafar gets to become sultan then the most powerful sorcerer? Why he doesn't make Aladdin an actual prince while he does grant Jafar's wishes just fine? This kinda makes him an even bigger jerk and giving me even less reason to care about him or about him getting freed.

I get it, even in the animated movie the whole prince thing was kinda messy, no deny in that, but least they didn't blatantly say "yo, Aladdin, you are not a prince actually". At best they referred to his self and how despite becoming a prince by the wish, deep inside he was still the same person. It's just weird that not only they did not fix this potential flaw of the movie, but even created a bigger plothole about it.

Also was not fan of how they kept showing us Dhalia being in pain or something, just to make us feel sad for Genie. Maybe it would have worked better if they actually made Dhalia into a character, but without that I just felt like the director trying to manipulate my emotions there.

Jafar... in short he got some interesting backgrounds and ideas, which I honestly liked, but the character itself... super boring and just not imitating at all. He was more like a whiny kid at worst and simply just bored at best. I do say though if they mixed the backstory with OG Jafar, that would be a close to match in heaven.

Lastly I will talk about Dhalia... I hate to say this but she's just not a character in my honest opinion. Outside of the humor, nothing is consistent about her. In the first half, she's shown as very simple-minded, telling Jasmine that she should be happy with being a prince and during the Prince Ali song, she clearly shows interest in fortune. She falls in love with Genie because... he looks good? I honestly don1 get their relationship. even with assuming the characters exactly know how they are like we do, I see nothing that would get those 2. They just have a love at first sight and it doesn't go further. Bit weird for a movie that is supposed to tell that not the outside, but the inside that counts.

And yeah, people telling me how the last scene where they agree on the boat and such shows that they are perfect match, but I'm like "wait, didnt the prince Ali song just show that she's actually into fortune?". Seriously, she just doesn't feel like a character, but rather just a puppet that gets different moods and traits just so she fits the plot and later to fit Genie. The only thing I actually get to know about her that also remains possibly consistent, is that what type of flowers she likes. That's it.

Might be entertaining to some people, but personally I think Dhalia is one of, if not the weakest character in the whole franchise. No depth, no actual consistent personality trait, nothing.

Geez, this got way longer than I wanted to be. And to think I even left out some stuff...

Hope it's not all wrong. I know majority loves the new movie, but for me it misses the mark in many ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum