Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Early Aladdin scripts?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Aladdin scripts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robo4900
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Early Aladdin scripts? Reply with quote

Like, I'm sure, many people here, I've read the original 1988 treatment of Aladdin and found it quite interesting. I actually even put together a YouTube playlist of the songs on it to enhance the experience of reading it.
But, I wonder if there's a more complete version of this original, pre-overhaul version of Aladdin? When his mother was still alive, possibly there were two Genies and Aladdin had his three buddies...

Workprints that circulate online sometimes serve this kind of purpose for various movies -- we do know a full story reel of the early version of Aladdin existed; we've seen clips (a few in here including the song itself, and there's also this), and the Disney high-ups not liking the reel was what lead to the overhaul in the first place, so if such a story reel had leaked, that would do what I'm looking for perfectly -- but the earliest workprint available was from seven months after Howard Ashman passed away, so while there are differences to the final film (no One Jump or Whole New World, no Jafar song, but Count On Me is present, and the final Arabian Nights reprise closes the feature), it's clear it's long since undergone the major overhaul, and is essentially the movie and plotline we know from the finished film, so that doesn't help much. (Though interestingly, it contains a really obscure alternate version of Arabian Nights, which I wish was available in higher quality)

The library of congress allegedly has some full scripts for Aladdin, dating back to July 1988, only six months after the original treatment, but while the Howard Ashman Papers collection does appear to be available to the public (as a Brit, I'm somewhat unfamiliar with how the library of congress works, so I may have the wrong end of the stick here, but it does appear this stuff is available to the public), none of it is available online, so only those physically present in Washington DC can read this material, it seems.

So... I wonder what you folks might have on hand? I know this kind of stuff does get out there somehow (not sure how the 1988 story treatment got online, but it's floating around, very easy to find; LostMediaWiki directly links to it), so I wonder if anyone here might happen to have one of the early scripts or something?
The lyrics page of the main AladdinCentral site seems to suggest at least some of the early drafts do make the rounds (see: Hold On, and The Wazir's Song), so this stuff's definitely out there, beyond just the hard copies at the library of congress, even if the July '91 script referenced by those pages may have been after the overhaul -- despite the title of "The Wazir's Song", Jafar does have his name, he isn't merely "The Wicked Wazir", the Genie grants unlimited wishes, Abu is present (meaning he and carpet likely already replaced Babkak, Omar, and Kassim, though that may have happened very early in the scripting phase), and the two songs appear to either fill a gap or provide an early version of a musical sequence from the earlier of the two available workprints (which appears to be from October 1991, three months after the given script date), with The Wazir's Song going over what was, in the workprint, merely a narrator describing what happens over the storyboards that were originally drawn for Humiliate The Boy (I guess they didn't have a Jafar song in place at the time. Presumably My Finest Hour would replace it once Tim Rice got on board, or maybe Menken wrote his own Jafar song based of Wazir's Song and we just never heard it), and "Hold On" appears to be an early, unfinished version of of Count On Me.

(EDIT: Fixed a glaring mistake I made when speculating about what "Hold On" is, and slightly expanded on my notes on Wazir's Song)
Boggess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two genies? I want to see that version. The banter must have been hilarious. haha
Robo4900
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost didn't post this because the price is completely and utterly ridiculous to a level I have trouble putting into words, but...

Some git on eBay is selling something they claim to be the very first draft... For $400. And that's discounted from the nearly $600 original list price. Shocked

I guess maybe one reason these scripts don't make the rounds is the collectors who can afford to own them don't want them to be available, since that would depreciate the value.
Can't say for sure if this is the case, but from what I've learned of some of the more selfish collector attitudes over these things, I'm fairly confident in this guess. And it's a real shame. Stops a lot of very interesting things from being available to the wider public; prototypes of video games, workprints of movies, and naturally, scripts. Confused

Either way... The library of congress's information seems to contradict the listed date here (this claims to be the first draft, but its given date is the 18th of October 1989; the Library of Congress lists a script from 6th of July 1988, so surely THAT would be the first draft?), so I'm now wondering if this script is real. Though for this price, and with the seller listing a lot of other scripts that look quite genuine, it might be. It's hard to tell. I'm not very familiar with who wrote which scripts when, or what the actual contents would look like, so I'm having a hard time judging this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum