Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin series fun fact
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin series fun fact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Aladdin series fun fact Reply with quote

Did you know the Aladdin series originally had a different genie named "Googi the djinni"? The stuff you learn cruising through ebay and finding show bibles Laughing

zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aladdin series fun fact Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Did you know the Aladdin series originally had a different genie named "Googi the djinni"? The stuff you learn cruising through ebay and finding show bibles Laughing

I'm honest to god so glad they didn't go with this name in the end. Googi sounds like something a baby came up with. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Gorgu Laughing

I'm glad they scraped that character and just went with using Genie because why add another genie to the mix knowing he was always going to be compared to the original? I guess maybe they had issues with the voicing of Genie, but I couldn't imagine Aladdin getting yet another genie friend and we're just supposed to accept this character as one of the gang. They've been through shared trauma - no newbies allowed Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Or Gorgu Laughing

I'm glad they scraped that character and just went with using Genie because why add another genie to the mix knowing he was always going to be compared to the original? I guess maybe they had issues with the voicing of Genie, but I couldn't imagine Aladdin getting yet another genie friend and we're just supposed to accept this character as one of the gang. They've been through shared trauma - no newbies allowed Laughing

Wait a minute. They wanted to make a new genie friend out of nowhere to replace Genie? Easily one of the worst ideas ever, especially that by this description he's very much like Genie. Plus yeah, not exactly the same,considering in what the characters went through (plus I honestly have a hard time to believe Genie would not come back to Aladdin and the others)

Excuse me for not realising it in my previous comment. I was still sleepy plus the description was way too close to how Genie is.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! A whole new genie! I thought at first it was a spelling mistake or that's what Genie is called in another language/country. But when I saw some other pages, it spoke about Genie and then this Googi character as two different people. Plus, on this page it says "They know about Aladdin's magic carpet but don't know that Aladdin has a new djinni", so yeah he was gonna be a different character cause I guess Genie was supposed to be traveling the world forever and just never show up??
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Or Gorgu Laughing

This right here.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Not totally on board with this concept, but the idea of Jasmine having a "girl friend" genie persona to talk to is kind of cute.
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a weird idea overall even if I get why they had it and honestly I start to get why Genie was annoying and even out of character stupid in certain episodes. Could be a bit of leftover from Googie, especially at early episodes.

Otherwise though...yeah, good thing they didn't go with this idea. Some of the later episodes that focused on Genie would just really not work, especially the likes of Genie Hunt and Beast or Famine that have quite a nice focus on the friendship of Al and Genie.

Yes I'm aware that serialized format does have the benefit of able to develop things nicely, but with how loose the series is... just unsure if it would have worked that well.[/list]
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Motz found his copy of the Aladdin show bible and explained they had to make another Genie because they weren't sure they could use him at all (gonna assume this was part of the disagreement they had with Robin).

https://www.threads.net/@billmotz/post/C2avnYvyBbc
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- How do you find this stuff? Is it just google alerts?

- Some of me likes the idea of this character, instead of bringing back Genie and trying to do him without Robin. But then again, if we're going to introduce a new magical creature... Why not make it a different kind of creature altogether?

- The 2-hour special referenced here confirms suspicions that RoJ is just a pilot to the series.

- I saw this thread, read the top, and was like... Didn't she already post this? Laughing Mamluk'd thread!

(Side note - we had used that word as a verb for so long, I was so disappointed to find that the original meaning of "mamluk" had literally 0 to do with the undead.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I have a google alert for general Aladdin news, but half the time it's me coming across something for another series and going "wonder if there's an Aladdin version of it". I came across a thread somewhere talking about how the show bibles for a lot of Nickelodeon shows was leaked/hacked last summer, was reminded Aladdin had one (from the first time I made this thread a few years back) and then looked it up again to find someone mentioned it a few weeks ago and confirmed our suspicions about the new character's intent. I wish I could own a copy of this cause I'm wondering what else is in there now.

But yeah, if they ever remake the series, it would be an awesome time to explore middle eastern mythology and introduce some lesser known creatures. I do like the idea, though, that because he's a ring genie he can give unlimited wishes but he's not as powerful as a lamp genie who is only limited to three per person.

What if it wasn't though? Like, what if there's a completely different movie they had planned before they came up with ROJ as we know it?

Aw, we haven't used that verb in a long time Laughing. And yeah, when I took Middle Eastern history in college, I perked up when I heard the word but then pouted when I realized what they are. "I GUESS that makes sense...."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum