Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Is Disney anti feminist ?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Disney anti feminist ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadira
Hero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Is Disney anti feminist ? Reply with quote

I read an online essay , that complains about roles of cartoon women in disney films. The writer says that Nala and the other lionesses should have been able to over throw Scar. The writer says it makes them look weak and foolish because they couldn`t fight without Simba. It seems like they couldn`t save the kingdom , without the help of a male leader. She also complains about Jasmine being treated like an object that the male characters fight over. What do you think ?
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lessa-see...

In Jasmine's case, consider the time period she lived in. Women pretty much were considered objects. Nyah.

In The Lion King, who was the main character? Simba or Nala? 'Nuff said.

Now, if you want to really nitpick what's sexist, consider this: As a general rule, male heroes are pitted against male villains, and female heroes against female villains. If, on the off chance that they are male/female and the female is fairly attractive, there WILL be sexual tensions.

Janette says: "And who killed Ursula? A man cannot kill a woman until she turns into a large and hideous monster. Of course, Ursula always was a large and hideous monster..."

And speaking of female villains, why must female villains be seductresses 98% of the time? Now THAT'S sexist.

For me, I get really disgusted when I see SuperFemisnist!Girl in a time/place that doesn't call for it. What's wrong with a girl behaving in a manner that's more consistant with her time/place? I don't mean that she would have to be totally subservient to the entire male race, but at the same time, doesn't act like a total wild-child.

I think I'm going to have to make a list of characters and why I like/don't like about them so I can explain myself better...

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Disney anti feminist ? Reply with quote

Sadira wrote:
She also complains about Jasmine being treated like an object that the male characters fight over. What do you think ?

Rolling Eyes She got that from "I am not a prize to be won!" I HATE it when people take one line that applies to one situation or scene and apply it for the whole character. She wasn't being treated like an object. She was being treated like a caged bird *beats her over the head with all the bird symbolism in the movie including the design on Jasmine's fountain* Laughing

But I think it's very funny she used Nala and Jasmine as topics when both of those movies have males as the lead character, but the female is part of their driving force to defeat the villain.

Last edited by AladdinsGenie on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No foolin'. If you want to make a valid arguement, then you should use an example where the arguement is valid!

I mean, fer pete's sakes, like Nala's going to defeat Scar when Simba is the hero of the story? Sheesh...

Sadira
Hero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was silly of the writer to use stories , which contain males as the main characters. I think she was really saying that she believes Disney women are just happy homemakers. Some of the girls from the old school Disney films are like that. I don`t know why she includes the modern girls. When they are so much better. Her arguments were all pretty weak. I can post the article on the board, if anyone wants to read it. It was pretty funny. She also complains about Mulan having a love interest. Anyway, I think Mulan is the only girl who fights a male villian, but I could be wrong. There is no attraction , unlike the whole Jasmine and Jafar thing.
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That writer is a dumb silly-head.

I actually think, as of recent, Disney has overemphasized women, making every other one some sort of powerhouse girl-power roaring critter. Like Megara? Ick. I can't imagine this "hipster" Rapunzel. Rolling Eyes

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is there anything wrong with a woman being a home-maker? It really disgusts me how some people put women down who actually want to rasie a family.

I personally believe that we wouldn't have so many delinquents in today's society if their mothers were actually there to raise them, as opposed to holding their own job. I mean, it's kind of hard to be there to influence your child on a better path when you're out working. Not to mention that the child isn't getting the parental attention that he/she needs.

...And that's my point of view.

Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same. Here. Rock on, girl! Very Happy

And wow, that also sounded exactly like Helen's speech in The Incredibles cut opening. Laughing

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husse wrote:
I actually think, as of recent, Disney has overemphasized women, making every other one some sort of powerhouse girl-power roaring critter. Like Megara? Ick. I can't imagine this "hipster" Rapunzel. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, but part of Megara's character called for that because she was hidding her broken heart behind that powerhouse of wise cracks and sarcasm. That, and she and Herc balances out since he's so gosh darn naive Laughing

"Settle down?! Are you kidding!? I'm at the top of my game! I'm right up there with the big dogs! Girls...come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so. I don't think so." Laughing Yes, I've seen that movie a few times.
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lurve that movie! Laughing

Along with everyone else in America and several other countries... Rolling Eyes

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE The Incredibles. Pixar did such a marvelous job! The personalities of the characters were just great - they were more like real people with superpowers, as opposed to comic-book heroes with superpowers. (Who are usually waaaay over-the-top tortured souls...)

Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the works of Brad Bird. I've watched "Iron Giant" every time it's on.
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Disney anti feminist ? Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:

But I think it's very funny she used Nala and Jasmine as topics when both of those movies have males as the lead character.

Tru dat!

In "Mulan," Mulan is the heroine.

In "Hercules," Hercules is the hero.

In "Cinderella," Cinderella is the hero.

Okay, so in "Snow White" and "Sleeping Beauty," the princes are the heroes, but that was way back when. I truly don't think Disney is anti-feminist.
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Disney as "anti-feminist" at all. I'm all for being an empowered woman (hell, I'm in a job where I do heavy, mechanical labor) but there's nothing "anti-feminist" about a guy saving the day. First of all, let's face it - men are generally physically stronger than most women. That's just a fact of nature. It stands to reason that there are some fighting situations that a woman would struggle with, and a man wouldn't struggle as much.

As for the comment about Nala and the lionesses, I don't think it was so much that they couldn't overthrow Scar, it was just that the situation they were all in and the loss that they'd suffered was demoralizing. Once Simba returned, they were given hope that gave them the strength to fight back. I don't think it had anything to do with gender.

And Jasmine WAS being treated as an object by some of the men (like Achmed) which was the point. When Aladdin came along, she found someone who loved her for who she was. The fact of the matter is, cultural outlooks were different back then, and I can't stand it when a work is criticized for portraying history as it was (more or less). *coughHuckFinncough*
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, cultural outlooks were different back then, and I can't stand it when a work is criticized for portraying history as it was (more or less). *coughHuckFinncough*

I SO agree with you. People're just so ridiculous about that type of thing sometimes.

The fact is, what occured in Huckleberry Finn was life back then. The author didn't write up something for the purpose of offending one group of people; he wrote life as he knew it. Life wasn't perfect then, life isn't perfect now, and guess what? Life isn't ever going to be perfect. So WHAT if there were black characters who were slaves? So WHAT if people were given politically-incorrect monikers? That's what happened then. We don't have to do that now, but we don't have to try to gloss over the imperfections of the past, either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum