Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Just seen the Beauty and the Beast Musical
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just seen the Beauty and the Beast Musical
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Just seen the Beauty and the Beast Musical Reply with quote

I saw the Beauty and the Beast Broadway Musical last night as it was touring near me. All I can say is WOW!

I loved it (though I felt Gaston was a little too over the top in the first half and not sinister enough, but that drastically improved in Act 2). The Beast's song "If I Can't Love Her" was so powerful it sent shivers up my spine!

Really want to see it again now (and see Lion King and Mary Poppins as well).

I've heard that Tarzan is meant to be coming next year and I could swear that I've read somewhere they're working on The Little Mermaid and even had Alan Menken do new songs for it. So what about Aladdin? Is there any chance at all that Al and the gang could one day see Broadway?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I REALLY want to see Tarzan on broadway. I think that can rock a whole bunch. The Tarzan Rocks show at Walt Disney World was sweet and that was just a bunch of skaters and performers running about to the songs so I can only imagine what an actual play will do Laughing.

I'd LOVE to have Aladdin on broadway, but there's just sooo much stuff they'd have to work on. I really do believe that along with the fact we are super neglected out of the big four, that all the elements of our movie would break the bank, which is why it still isn't on broadway yet. I love what Disneyland did for it (even though I haven't seen it in person *shifty eyes* Laughing), but that's condensed.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know what you mean about the cost. Still the Musical Spectacular proves that it can be done, and whilst it is shorter it covers all the really hard bits, so I guess there is hope for the future. If they can pull off Little Mermaid they can do Aladdin (but that still remains to be seen).

I'm really curious as to how the singing will be done in Tarzan as most of the songs weren't sung by characters (like "Son of Man"). You're right though, Tarzan Rocks is a great show! Must have seen that at least 3 times when I went to Disney World this summer!

Still wonder if Hunchback of Notre Dame will ever see light of day in the US (and the UK!). From what I've read it sounded really good, even if it was more different from the film than I would normally like.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping my hopes too. I mean, they've done the other three, right? We are bound to get a musical...eventually Laughing. Watch we get one 20 years from now.

You know that's a good point. I wonder who IS going to sing the songs. I hope they don't get a gorilla narrator on the side singing Laughing. Maybe they'll just have Phil's songs playing and the characters on stage acting to them? Although, that "Strangers Like Me" bit is going to be interesting considering that took place over a period of time. But yes, Tarzan Rocks...rocked Laughing

Oh, I know. And I wish I went to WDW to see the one they had at MGM before Beauty and the Beast took over. But just mentioning the Hunchback of Notre Dame gets some people antsy Rolling Eyes
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw BatB on broadway. It. Was. Awesome!

Tarzan on broadway? How would they manage that?

I don't think they can do a proper one for Aladdin (too complicated, better left alone)

But the Little Mermaid? I dunno, hmm...I can imagine it on ice but not as a stage musical.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how they'll manage Tarzan, but it seems we could find out next year.

Mermaid has (I think) been in development longer, but they can't quite work out the best way to do it when Ariel can't walk in the first Act or sing in the second Act. But I'm glad they're taking time to work out how to do it right rather than rush it.

The Disneyland show I think proves Aladdin is possible, but I think it'll be a long time before we see anything, if we ever do.

But Beauty and the Beast was incredible! I really want to see it again! May have to find where it's at next and go travelling (or pray it's back in London next year and go then).

I have hopes for Hunchback based on this:
Quote:
Meanwhile, Schumacher is in negotiations for a new production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Disney also is developing a musical-theater adaptation of The Little Mermaid with Beauty composer Alan Menken.

"The question is," says Schumacher, "what's the language you use to tell the story of a girl who can't walk in the first act and can't talk in the second, because she's given away her voice? It has some interesting theatrical challenges."

Before solving them, though, Disney will tackle Tarzan. Based on the 1999 animated film, the show, which likely will premiere in 2005, features a libretto by M. Butterfly playwright David Henry Hwang and music by Phil Collins.

From: http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater/news/2004-01-08-disney_x.htm

It's an old article (2004) and Tarzan seems to have slipped from 2005 to 2006 since then, but it does seem that Hunchback might not be quite as dead as it seems.
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, I'm dying to see Beauty and the Beast! I have the soundtrack (plus a copy of Susan Egan singing "A Change in Me") and I absolutely love it.

I saw The Lion King last January, and I'm counting down til I get to see it again this January. Absolutely, incredibly amazing. I sprung for the expensive, floor-level seats, because it's absolutely worth it. I was literally brought to tears during "Circle of Life." I have never seen an audience react in as much awe as they did during that number!

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Oh, I know. And I wish I went to WDW to see the one they had at MGM before Beauty and the Beast took over. But just mentioning the Hunchback of Notre Dame gets some people antsy Rolling Eyes

Actually, Beauty and the Beast at MGM is in a completely different theater than Hunchback was in. Hunchback was in a theater over by the entrance to the backlot tram ride, and that theater was demolished to make way for the new Lights, Motors, Action! stunt show. I was on my college program when Hunchback closed. I actually have video from a performance in the last couple weeks of its run. It was a really good show!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfkirsten wrote:
Actually, Beauty and the Beast at MGM is in a completely different theater than Hunchback was in. Hunchback was in a theater over by the entrance to the backlot tram ride, and that theater was demolished to make way for the new Lights, Motors, Action! stunt show.

Is it bigger than the BATB one at MGM? Me and my sister stood there for 30 minutes to get almost front row seats. I was NOT going to be manuevering my head around to see Lumiere during "Be Our Guest". I had perfect vision Laughing

We're gonna have to watch all the tapes you have next year Laughing
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say it was bigger than the BatB one, although not by a whole lot. IMHO, it was more elaborate, and had better effects. And I think it was a lot better put-together.

I have 11 tapes full of video from WDW alone! :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to see Lion King now! Not sure if I'll like it as much (purely because as a film I prefer Beauty and the Beast), but I'm still expecting it to take my breath away.

xfkirsten, where did you find Susan Egan singing "A Change in Me"? That song really caught me off guard as I'd listened to the soundtrack before going and really wasn't expecting it (nor the quite radical lyric change for "Maison des Lunes"). Oh and I totally agree, floor-level seats are the best! My girlfriend and I had them for B+B and agreed it was worth every penny!

I would really love for Disney to bring the musicals out on DVD at some point. Sure it's not the same, but I really can't afford to see the show in person anywhere near as many times as I'd like Very Happy ....of course that doesn't mean I can't go bankrupt trying Wink
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Embarassed

Forgot to log in for that post! Shocked
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! *huggles*

I am, *obviously* OBSESSED with Beauty and the Beast, and LOVE the musical, have absolutely memorized the soundtrack...except "Change in Me," because for some WEIRD reason, it's not ON the soundtrack...does anyone know why? Crying or Very sad

Anyway, I lurve that musical. Saw the Broadway version once, and saw a school's version twice...they did really well.

LeSigh...Hunchback would be nice, but...hm. It really should've been a musical to start with, it was a tad too suggestive for an advertised kids film. But that would probably be my biggest one on the list of 'em to see. Lion King's way down there, I didn't care for the movie too much, and Tarzan...well, it was good, but I just don't know what they'd do for a musical, as aforementioned.

And HOW the heck are they going to do Mermaid? Laughing

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
xfkirsten, where did you find Susan Egan singing "A Change in Me"? That song really caught me off guard as I'd listened to the soundtrack before going and really wasn't expecting it (nor the quite radical lyric change for "Maison des Lunes"). Oh and I totally agree, floor-level seats are the best! My girlfriend and I had them for B+B and agreed it was worth every penny!

It's on one of her solo CDs, So Far. Smile

And I'm not sure if BatB is the same way, but there's a definite reason why Lion King floor seats are better than a balcony. I don't want to say too much, though, and give it away. Smile

Quote:
I would really love for Disney to bring the musicals out on DVD at some point. Sure it's not the same, but I really can't afford to see the show in person anywhere near as many times as I'd like Very Happy ....of course that doesn't mean I can't go bankrupt trying Wink

Agreed! I would kill for these shows on DVD. However, I understand the business reason for not doing so - there's plenty of folks who would settle for the DVD and not actually go see the show, even if given the chace. Plus, the cost of producing a DVD might be prohibitively high if you take into consideration the royalties that would have to be paid to the performers. I know a few big shows have done DVD releases, but none of the Disney ones have. Sad
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husse wrote:
I am, *obviously* OBSESSED with Beauty and the Beast, and LOVE the musical, have absolutely memorized the soundtrack...except "Change in Me," because for some WEIRD reason, it's not ON the soundtrack...does anyone know why? Crying or Very sad

I know! That song actually wasn't originally a part of the show. It was added in awhile back - I wanna say when Toni Braxton joined that cast, but I'm not 100% sure on that. So it didn't even exist when the Cast Recording was made. See my last post for a link to Susan Egan's CD!

Husse wrote:
And HOW the heck are they going to do Mermaid? Laughing

You'd be surprised what they can pull off! If they really want her to "swim," there's always the option of wire work/aerialist work (which is what they're doing for Tarzan). Otherwise, they can find more creative ways to pull that off. The Lion King pulled off the stampede BEAUTIFULLY on stage - I have no doubt that they've got a bag of tricks ready for The Little Mermaid, as well!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere at jimhillmedia.com how they were going to do the Little Mermaid show, but now I can't remember Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum