Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - "That's not an adventure! That's a sidequest!"
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"That's not an adventure! That's a sidequest!"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: "That's not an adventure! That's a sidequest!" Reply with quote

Edit: this should be moved to the Disney section.

Has anyone else ever stopped and realized that most Disney movies span 1-3 days at the most? It rather gets on my nerves because I feel that the characters' adventures just don't last long enough. For example, the entire Cinderella movie (discluding the wedding) spanned an entire day and just into the next morning. Aladdin spanned about three days, Beauty and the Beast the same time.

To me, it just feels like everything happens much too fast - it's all over far too quickly, and I always feel shortchanged somehow. It's not the running length that bothers me, but rather the time that the movie spans.

Anyone else feel this way?

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "That's not an adventure! That's a sidequest!" Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Edit: this should be moved to the Disney section.

Has anyone else ever stopped and realized that most Disney movies span 1-3 days at the most? It rather gets on my nerves because I feel that the characters' adventures just don't last long enough. For example, the entire Cinderella movie (discluding the wedding) spanned an entire day and just into the next morning. Aladdin spanned about three days, Beauty and the Beast the same time.

To me, it just feels like everything happens much too fast - it's all over far too quickly, and I always feel shortchanged somehow. It's not the running length that bothers me, but rather the time that the movie spans.

Anyone else feel this way?

I do agree, some movies do not span nearly enough.

However, Aladdin spanned quite a bit more than three days. As did Beauty and the Beast! That movie spanned two-three seasons. She was kept there for a rather long time... from spring/fall into winter.

Aladdin spanned about a week.

Day 1: Aladdin in the marketplace
Day 2: Jasmine runs away
Day 3: Cave of Wonders
Day 4: Genie
Day 5: Prince Ali
Day 6: Happy Ending in Agrabah

...In all actuality, although they do seem short, movies do take place over some time periods. It's just that not all of them have every day in such detail.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "That's not an adventure! That's a sidequest!" Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
I do agree, some

...In all actuality, although they do seem short, movies do take place over some time periods. It's just that not all of them have every day in such detail.

Quote:
As did Beauty and the Beast! That movie spanned two-three seasons. She was kept there for a rather long time... from spring/fall into winter.

No, he didn't - unless Maurice spent months getting back home. Also, the beginning of the movie wasn't necessarily the springtime. It could've easily been early autumn. According to some versions of the fairy tale, the castle was enchanted so that there were different seasons in diferent courtyards around the castle year-round. Also, bear in mind that a cold-front could easily bring snow, and in higher elevations (where the castle was), it probably wouldn't melt off especially quickly.

Quote:

Well, you're right in that it's a bit longer than I first said. However, I don't think it's quite that long. According to my calculations:

Day 1: Aladdin in the marketplace, Jasmine runs away.
Day 2: Aladdin and Jasmine meet, Cave of Wonders, Genie
Day 3: Prince Ali, carpet ride.
Day 4: Royal annoucement, Jafar takes over.
Day 5: VERY early in the morning, Aladdin saves Agrabah.

Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty and the Beast... okay, maybe not as much as two-three months... but it was a very long time, considering how their relationship went from good to bad in an elaborated song.

...I'd say that it took Maurice a day to get back, but then he wasn't believed by anybody. It took awhile for Belle to win the Beast over so much that he let her use the mirror.

I'd say that Beauty and the Beast took a time span of 3 weeks.

...and then other examples.

The Lion King... yeah, we go from lil' cub to big handsome lion. That takes awhile.

The Little Mermaid... that took about two weeks.

Pocohantas... no idea, but it wasn't short.

I think that the illusion is that the movies don't take long, but in reality the movie does show transitions from day to day or even season to season in some discrete way.

Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I got when I was trying to figure out the minimum possible time the whole series could take place in last month. Laughing

Quote:
Day 1 - (early morning) Jafar gets the second half of the scarab to open the Cave of Wonders. Gazeem dies.
(daytime) "One Jump Ahead". Prince Achmed arrives at the palace.
(dusk) "One Jump Ahead (Reprise)"

Day 2 - Jasmine must marry a prince in three days.
(daytime) Prince Achmed leaves. Sultan gives Jafar his blue diamond ring.
(night) Jasmine runs away from the palace.

Day 3 - (day) Aladdin saves Jasmine from Farouk.
(dusk) Jafar uses the blue diamond and the Sands of Time to discover that Aladdin is the Diamond in the Rough.
(dusk) Jafar orders the guards to arrest Aladdin.
(dusk) Aladdin takes Jasmine back to his hovel. Aladdin is arrested by the guards.
Jasmine confronts Jafar about Aladdin's arrest. Jafar tells her Aladdin has already been executed.
(night) Abu finds Aladdin in the dungeons. Jafar meets them in disguise and helps Aladdin escape.
(night) Aladdin, Abu, and Jafar travel to the Cave of Wonders. Aladdin and Abu meet Carpet and find the lamp. Abu touches the Forbidden Treasure trapping the three of them in the cave with the lamp.
Jasmine tells Sultan about Jafar ordering Aladdin's arrest and "execution".

Day 4 - Aladdin wakes up still trapped in the cave and releases Genie. "Friend Like Me". Aladdin tricks Genie into helping them all get out of the cave.
(day) Sultan chews Jafar out for "executing" Aladdin without consulting him. Iago comes up with the plan for Jafar to marry Jasmine and become the sultan.
(day) Genie, Aladdin, Abu, and Carpet arrive in an oasis. Aladdin promises to use his last wish to free Genie and makes his first wish (to become a prince).
(day) "Prince Ali".
(night) "A Whole New World".
(night) Jafar orders the guards to kill Prince Ali. Aladdin uses his second wish to save his life.
(night) Aladdin returns to the palace and tells Sultan what happened. Jafar sees that "Prince Ali" has the lamp and realizes he is Aladdin and then flees. Jasmine chooses to marry Prince Ali.
Jafar reaches the safety of his lab and orders Iago to steal the lamp for him.

Day 5 - Jasmine's 16th birthday.
(day) Aladdin tells Genie he is going back on his promise to free him. Iago steals the lamp. Sultan announces Prince Ali and Jasmine's engagement.
(day) Jafar uses his first wish to become sultan and his second to become the most powerful sorcerer in the world. He then uses his own magic to send Aladdin, Abu, and Carpet to the Ends of the Earth.
(night) They arrive in the Ends of the Earth, avoid being flattened by a building, and start the flight back to Agrabah.

Day 6 - (early morning) Aladdin, Abu, and Carpet return to Agrabah. Aladdin fights Jafar. Jafar uses his third wish to become a genie and pulls Iago into his lamp with him.
(day) Genie throws Jafar's lamp into the desert. Aladdin uses his third wish to free Genie. Sultan changes the law so Jasmine can marry whomever she wants and no longer has a time limit. Aladdin and Jasmine's engagement begins. Genie leaves Agrabah to see the world.
(night) "A Whole New World (Reprise)". Fireworks are let off to celebrate the royal engagement.

...I also calculated three days for RoJ, but I didn't get far enough along to do KoT yet.
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
Beauty and the Beast... okay, maybe not as much as two-three months... but it was a very long time, considering how their relationship went from good to bad in an elaborated song.

...I'd say that it took Maurice a day to get back, but then he wasn't believed by anybody. It took awhile for Belle to win the Beast over so much that he let her use the mirror.

I'd say that Beauty and the Beast took a time span of 3 weeks.

I recall reading somewhere once that BatB was indeed supposed to take place over a longer time period. The original "Human Again" sequence was meant to depict that passage of time, but that ended up getting skipped over when it was removed for "Something There." Smile
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just because we don't see it doesn't mean no time has passed at all. They do go through time, even seasons. Remember the BatB christmas Special Edition? Laughing That definitely showed a lot of time passing. besides, Disney does a better job at it than most cartoons. Like in Quest to Camelot (not Disney) the plot went ridiculously fast. They met up, they went through the short forest, sung a song as soon as they were out and got married.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfkirsten wrote:
I recall reading somewhere once that BatB was indeed supposed to take place over a longer time period. The original "Human Again" sequence was meant to depict that passage of time, but that ended up getting skipped over when it was removed for "Something There." Smile

And not to mention their romance. I can accept anyone else's happening three days fast except there's because they needed a lot of time.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
xfkirsten wrote:

And not to mention their romance. I can accept anyone else's happening three days fast except there's because they needed a lot of time.

...It takes awhile to accept the fact that you've fallen in love with someone who's not even the same species as you.

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh yeah, that's what I'm saying; I just don't see that happening in three days Laughing

But, I asked a huge BATB fan I know and she told me the following:

It is the general opinion of BatB fans that the movie takes place over about half a year...it starts in late summer/early fall, goes through winter, and ends in spring.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Uh yeah, that's what I'm saying; I just don't see that happening in three days Laughing

But, I asked a huge BATB fan I know and she told me the following:

It is the general opinion of BatB fans that the movie takes place over about half a year...it starts in late summer/early fall, goes through winter, and ends in spring.

I love the feeling when people actually agree with me. Makes me feel all warm inside. Very Happy

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on the issue of Maurice, she said...

The amount of time Maruice spends getting back home has never been settled on. Because they did mess up with that part.

We generaly just assume he got REALLY lost in the woods and found a woodsmans cottage or the like.
persian85033
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when he was 'raving about a beast in a castle', and they threw him out, it was already winter. And when Beast threw him in that weird contraptionthingamajigger(I think it's a carriage with legs instead of wheels Confused ), it wasn't snowing just yet.

And then, when he lets her go, it isn't winter anymore. You see no snow on the balcony, just where LeFou is dressed as a snowman.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*CoughcoughSuddenColdFrontcoughcough*

Also, I don't think Aladdin spent more than maybe twelve hours total in the Cave of Wonders. Otherwise, methinks he would've passed out from manly hunger before then. Wink

Okay, I'm kidding about the manly hunger part, but I'm pretty sure Aladdin went in one night and was out by the next morning, or at least around noon.

Calluna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Okay, I'm kidding about the manly hunger part, but I'm pretty sure Aladdin went in one night and was out by the next morning, or at least around noon.
That's what it looks like to me, too.

But while we're on that subject, Al must have been really tired at the end of the movie. Unless you count getting knocked unconscious, when that week did he get any time to sleep? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum