Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin on Broadway?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin on Broadway?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Aladdin on Broadway? Reply with quote

Well it's been a while since I've been here so first I want to say a late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

I've been looking at the Disney Broadway stuff a lot recently now I've seen both B&B and TLK as I'm thinking about doing a long weekend in New York later this year to see Tarzan (if I can find a good deal on flights and hotel).

Well I was looking for news and found this article from September 05 at Jim Hill Media: http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1665

It mentions the opening of Tarzan in May this year. The Lion King moving theatres, and Mary Poppins coming from London to Broadway as early as October this year.

Then it mentions the future:

The Little Mermaid is now in full production from the sounds of it, with Alan Menken working with Glenn Slater to do 11 new songs, and expected to arrive on Broadway in the 2007-2008 season.

The best news is that Aladdin is pencilled in for a 2008-2009 release! Chad Beguelin has been hired to write the book for the proposed Broadway version!

I hope this is true! I'd love to see that happen! Better start saving now as I want to be there opening night!

If it's all true then that would be 1 new show opening every year from 2006-2008! Wonder if they can keep that momentum up? And what they'd do next?
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for telling us! I heard something similar to that but I always just assumed that it was talking about Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular and didn't know the date. Very Happy
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! This rumor's been going around for awhile - I'm glad to hear something more concrete on it, though! I think it was mentioned here awhile back (last May-ish?). I never figured it was referring to AMS, mainly 'cause the article that mentioned it was written about two years after that show premiered. Wink

I'm psyched! And I seriously will need a trip to New York...
Calluna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, didn't know the source of the rumor, that it came from the promotion for another musical that guy worked on. Smile
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was in a Playbill article that I can't seem to find anymore, just a little mention at the end. I don't think it specifically said Broadway, but that was the assumption.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that playbill article was on a yahoo news search because it threw me off and got me excited the first time I thought Aladdin was coming to broadway. Now I have a real reason to be happy Laughing

NY, here I come! Who's with me? I call shotgun Laughing
Calluna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the thing about Broadway is that eventually it will go on tour, and then we can all see it. We'll all be old by then but still.... Laughing
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I know that playbill article was on a yahoo news search because it threw me off and got me excited the first time I thought Aladdin was coming to broadway. Now I have a real reason to be happy Laughing

I am!! *jumps in* I'll drive, if you all can handle it. *coughs* I like things that go faster than 200 mph. *shifty eyes*

We hafta see all the other Disney Broadway shows while we're there, too. Wink
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:

I'm in! and I can go by myself by the time this will roll around. Very Happy
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news and about time too. Aladdin is perfect for theaters, I think. But I hope this writer, Chad Beguelin, stays true to the animated characters. I am not familiar with the Broadway scene so I don't know how good he is and all.

I hope that, eventfully the musical sprouts international versions. Specific a Dutch tour version.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
Wow, thanks for telling us! I heard something similar to that but I always just assumed that it was talking about Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular and didn't know the date. Very Happy

No problem! As soon as I saw it I had to let you guys know... After I called my girlfriend and woke her up to tell her (it was nearly midnight here).... Embarassed

I can't wait to see this! The Ashman/Menken trilogy of Disney films are my favorite thing to come out of Disney and to see them all on Broadway would be a dream come true!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfkirsten wrote:
I am!! *jumps in* I'll drive, if you all can handle it. *coughs* I like things that go faster than 200 mph. *shifty eyes*

We hafta see all the other Disney Broadway shows while we're there, too. Wink

You know, I probably drive faster than 200mph Laughing

Of course! I'm not going all the way up there and not see the others...ok maybe I would, but if I *really* have to Laughing
Mariposa79
Lovesick Demented Reject

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH wow! I am so going to be there. Lol Aladdin better be hot! The actor who's going to play him. Has to have all the qualities.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like the arms Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Yeah, like the arms Laughing

And he'd better work damn hard with that apple trick! But knowing Broadway, they'd make the apple huge and sparkly andwill turn and shine like a disco ball. Laughing

Hmmm...the apple trick might be difficult for a real person to do. Maybe not *impossible* but certainly difficult and you might not be able to even see it on the stage...I hope they don't write it out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum