Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Sequel Formula
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sequel Formula
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: The Sequel Formula Reply with quote

The other day, I was a-thinking about sequels in general. Disney sequels, especially.

When they make an initial movie, they obviously need it to be original enough to stand on its own. Thus you're not likely to have something too trite.

When it comes to a sequel, however, whoever is put in charge of writing it doesn't often seem to care about making a new and fresh story - they'll toss together every cliche available to make a sequel. The only reason these stories stand at all, as far as I can tell, is due to the popularity of the first.

Look at TLK - (Kimba aside - chances're good you probably didn't see it) it probably didn't jump out and scream too many bloody cliches at you.

TLK2, however, has a completely overdone storyline. You know - good old Romeo and Juliet.

So, the secret of making a sequel with Disney, it seems to me, is to take well-loved characters, pull a few cliches out of the bag, and toss a story together to form a (very often) nauseating cocktail.

Any thoughts on this?

Author's Note: Please, please, please don't arbitrarily turn this into another thread about SGA. I'm starting to feel like I'm being shoved aside like an old dead chicken these days, y'know what I mean?

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit though, their sequels have gotten better. Although the cliche thing is definitely in the formula.

I for one hate Kiara (Simbas Pride)
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh I'm ok with they're sequals. Some are good others can quite honestly, bite me

keep this thread non stargate? gee that's a concept that may be hard to grasp seeing as there are ways to corrupt the thread but I for one will keep my mouth shut Razz *zips lips and wanders off*
Cool Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Sequel Formula Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Author's Note: Please, please, please don't arbitrarily turn this into another thread about SGA. I'm starting to feel like I'm being shoved aside like an old dead chicken these days, y'know what I mean?
That's partially shooting yourself in the foot, since SGA actually *does* fit the topic of this thread.
Snarky Scientist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, and you put it in the Miscellanous section instead of Disney and addressed "sequels in general", so it would be possible for us to discuss SGA here.

And we don't need to talk about SGA in order to go off-topic. Wink
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Sequel Formula Reply with quote

Yes, but the amount of stargate being discussed on the board, even if it is where it would go, is getting high. It's like going to a board about cooking and discussing your favorite shoe in the boards misc. thread more than anything else. It makes it seem like you're more interested in that than what the boards purpose is.

However, if this is more Disney based, then it should go to the Disney. Is just Disney going to be discussed here, Syera?
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Sequel Formula Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Yes, but the amount of stargate being discussed on the board, even if it is where it would go, is getting high. It's like going to a board about cooking and discussing your favorite shoe in the boards misc. thread more than anything else. It makes it seem like you're more interested in that than what the boards purpose is.

Amen. even I have to agree with this

Aladdin? who the hell is that? Laughing
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a prequel?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... this is going to be a very rare moment where I actually stick up for Syera, but yeah... she did ask that this board not become SGA... so I'm actually going to comment on the topic at hand. It was kind of scary to come back and see that more people's avatars were SGA instead of Aladdin-based.

Anyway... about sequels...

I do not enjoy sequels in the least. I'll be the first to admit. I like original stories, but I find that sequels seem to demean all of them. Take Aladdin (just for an example)... ROJ was horrible. Not only in plotline (cliche: bad guy returns, tries to take over the palace/country/blah blah blah) but so was the animation and script. I'll admit KOT was alright, but it still was not the original in any aspect.

The Little Mermaid is another example. I'm sorry, but the sequel just seemed so... so... childish. I know we're talking about Disney movies here, but still... that wanted to make me go into a diabetic fit. It was pathetic, and should not have been made.

I hate when sequels center around the originals' main character's children. Hello!! We fell lin love with certain characters, bring them back! Not their demon spawns who are always remarkable just like them... and a perfect mixture of both their mother and father. It's pathetic, and just like in fanfiction, I do not like it.

The Lion King... eh... the sequel was not bad. Sure beat Aladdin's sequels along with The Little Mermaids, but again, it was the whole child thing. I think the only reason I did like it was because of Simba's major, major emotional role in it and how they showed the first movie's effects through out the second. Dude! I freakin' loved how they picked up RIGHT WHERE THEY LEFT OFF in the first movie... I had always wanted to see that happen... and it did... so awesome.

Then you have sequels to those movies such as Tarzan... you know... the three little adventure ones? Those piss me off more than you can comprehend and should not be allowed to be called sequels. It's pathetic.

Along with Peter Pan's sequel, also pathetic... I hated Jane... just did. No explanation, just hated her... and the immaturity and grossness of the lost boys/Peter Pan... it just wasn't...

I say if that a sequel isn't made for a movie in the next 7 years of the original's release... it shouldn't be allowed... at all.

Now... go ahead, pick this apart like your little hearts desire, I don't care. I stayed on topic. Laughing

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
Umm... this is going to be a very rare moment where I actually stick up for Syera, but yeah... she did ask that this board not become SGA... so I'm actually going to comment on the topic at hand. It was kind of scary to come back and see that more people's avatars were SGA instead of Aladdin-based.

In my defense while I do have a stargate avatar I only have it 'cause I still find the shep0re thing pretty damn hallarious but yes you do have point as well as syera that the board has become waaaay to sgaish. I love it as much as the next person but even I have to say its gotten to be a little too much.

Like I said in my last post on this
"Aladdin? who the hell is that?" Laughing
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
I do not enjoy sequels in the least. I'll be the first to admit. I like original stories, but I find that sequels seem to demean all of them. Take Aladdin (just for an example)... ROJ was horrible. Not only in plotline (cliche: bad guy returns, tries to take over the palace/country/blah blah blah) but so was the animation and script. I'll admit KOT was alright, but it still was not the original in any aspect.

The Little Mermaid is another example. I'm sorry, but the sequel just seemed so... so... childish. I know we're talking about Disney movies here, but still... that wanted to make me go into a diabetic fit. It was pathetic, and should not have been made.

I hate when sequels center around the originals' main character's children. Hello!! We fell lin love with certain characters, bring them back! Not their demon spawns who are always remarkable just like them... and a perfect mixture of both their mother and father. It's pathetic, and just like in fanfiction, I do not like it.

*Nods* Exactly! And what's worse, it seems that rather than try to make a sequel that will appeal to everyone, they take out whatever charm it had for the adults and toss together some kind of sludge that is aimed for no-one over the age of ten.

'Course, maybe it's because parents have to sit through a theater release along with their children, but with DTV releases, all the parents have to do is buy the video and let the kids watch it while they do something else, so the creators don't put in the effort to make it digestible for the adults as well.

Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
'Course, maybe it's because parents have to sit through a theater release along with their children, but with DTV releases, all the parents have to do is buy the video and let the kids watch it while they do something else, so the creators don't put in the effort to make it digestible for the adults as well.

Or the parents choose to send their eldest child out with their youngest child to see the movies... in which the eldest childs want to burn their eyes out and blow up their ear drums.

But... that's besides the point.

I do agree with what you said. It's like they don't really put anything aimed towards 'family fun' in their movies. It's just some little trinket movie that parent's buy mainly for their kids.

Like MULAN II! That movie... ugh... those little girls needed to be like strung by their ears to watch those dumb princesses be lynched.

Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Dumb princesses?' Care to enlighten the... unenlightened?

AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved because this is Disney oriented

But without going into a huge rant about sequels, I have watched most of all of them because of Disney fan purposes. I enjoy them, but I usually watch them once and never again. It's a case of great animation and ok or crappy storyline versus crappy animation and a great storyline. I find that a lot the good sequels are when they first started out with the whole sequel thing. The animation definitely wasn't up to par, but there was at least a story. Now? It's just about the same plot in every movie.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
'Dumb princesses?' Care to enlighten the... unenlightened?

Let's just say that I absolutely hated the princesses that were in MULAN II. I don't know why... I just did not like them... and their song... made me want to like... kill myself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum