Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Jasmine in the Hourglass
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jasmine in the Hourglass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think it's a good thing they made Jasmine a "damsel in distress" at the end of the movie when she is trapped in the hourglass?
Yes, it makes it a little more romantic and suspenseful!
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
No, how dare they take such a free-spirited and brave princess and turn her into some weak little princess that needs to be saved!
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Jasmine in the Hourglass Reply with quote

I know alot of people out there don't like the whole Jasmine being a "damsel in distress" at the end of the movie when Jafar traps her in that *GIANT* hourglass, but I honostly have to say that I really like it.

Alot of little girls like to see when the daring hero saves the free-spiritied princess just in the knick-of-time, it let's them know that sometimes there are loves out there that are so serious, you would do antying for the other person.

Alot of people think that this scene makes Jasmine look weak, but it really doesn't. Think about, everyone needed to be saved... even Aladdin. Jasmine wasn't an exception. Plus at the end of the movie, there is alway a race against a "clock" of some sort, and this was just a really literal example of that. It made the movie a little more suspenseful, and it didn't let the end of the movie drag on forever. And it's not like they made Aladdin think she was dead, or she stayed unconcious, they just made Aladdin look like an even better hero.

Well, that's my opinion, please reply... I would love to hear what you have to say! Razz

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, howdy! *waves*

It doesn't bother me that much. I like it. And like you said, it's a great metaphor for showing "Racing against the clock."
Just when she got a little bit of freedom from the world she was trapped in, she goes back to being trapped but physically this time. I don't see how people get it made her look weak. Ok, well, no. I take that back. I can, but what do they expect her to do?

I think they needed to have a damsel in distress moment. If not, she could have fought Jafar on her own and that wouldn't have been that believable at all-fiesty or not. I'm glad they threw out the idea of having her use the crown to cut the glass and free herself. That would have blown it for me.
Princess Lydia
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that scene too! it is pretty interesting!
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, that scene freaked me out when I was little. Laughing

I think they did a good enough job developing Jasmine's character early on that they proved that she's tough, and she can handle herself. So when Jafar stuck her in the hourglass at the end, I felt they'd already proved she was a strong woman, and they didn't need to make that point all over again.

Like you said, it just goes to show that everyone gets into situations they can't get out of without help, even when they're strong.
Princess Lydia
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HourGlass I found the perfect avatar for you
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/the_80s_chick/icons/d_icontest_aladdin.png
If you want it please paste this in your signature to say who made it:
Find them on livejournal
It came from this link:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/disney_icons/363087.html?view=4955471#t4955471
Princess Lydia
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this is helpful! *hugs*
Jane
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem at all with this scene. Like mentioned above, everyone needs to be saved sometimes (did Abu not save Al just before OJA?). Also Jafar used magic to trap Jas in a giant hourglass, honestly, how does one go about protecting oneself from that?
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloyha HourGlass!

And no, it doesn't make her look weak. And besides, just because a woman has an strong personality doesn't mean she's going to be some great fighter. It's one of my series peeves. I mean, at least show the woman learning some fighting skills- she becomes Xena, Agrabanian Princess over night, and it feels unbelievable.

*Happy that she at least learned to bullfight in DQ or the whole thing would have been really, really awkward* Very Happy
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that whole her knowing how to fight thing doesn't bother me because I have eternalized that she's a fast learner and just picked it up from Al. You never know, he could have been giving her lessons or learned something in the palace just incase something happened. Yeah, I'm stretching it.
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this whole issue of the comics where Jasmine is learning how to use a bow and arrow and is really lousy until the end. So I think she taught herself, just mostly "offscreen". Razz

Okay, anyway, welcome Hourglass! I don't know if you know, but the writers actually wanted to have Jasmine break herself out of the hourglass (the tiara Jafar gave her was going to be made of diamonds), but they got overruled, because "Aladdin has to save Jasmine". I think it's kind of dumb that they had to mandate that, but I'm not going to say it would be better that way, since I dont' know what it would have looked like. (So, what does Jasmine *do* once she's out?) I don't have a problem with it the way it is. Jasmine was certainly doing a lot before she got to that point, and it helps the dramatic tension because there's more pressure on Aladdin.
Merkal
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've nothing against Jas being trapped in the hour-glass. I think she could've taken on Jafar but would've lost anyway. Jafar was getting stronger by the minute. She would've needed Aladdin's help as proved in the series together they can defeat any badguy.

And it's said before, it was already estrablished that Jasmine was not your typical Disney princess who needed to be saved from the badguy.
Princess Lydia
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merkal wrote:
I've nothing against Jas being trapped in the hour-glass. I think she could've taken on Jafar but would've lost anyway. Jafar was getting stronger by the minute. She would've needed Aladdin's help as proved in the series together they can defeat any badguy.

And it's said before, it was already estrablished that Jasmine was not your typical Disney princess who needed to be saved from the badguy.

I agree she tried though! And I agree it makes it more fun having Aladdin save her from the hourglass. Merkal you are right it would never have worked to beat him. Having wished to be The most powerful sorcer in the world.

This took brains which Aladdin used. When he said:
"The Genie has more power than you'll ever have!" -Aladdin
"What!" -Jafar
"He gave you your power he can take it back!" -Aladdin
"Al, what are you doing? Why are you bringing me into this?" -Genie
"Face it Jafar your still secound best!" -Aladdin
"Your right this power doesn't succeed my own. But not for long." -Jafar
"The boy is crazy a little high strung, one to many hits from the snake!" -Genie
"Slave! I make my third wish! I wish to be an all powerful Genie!"-Jafar
"Alright your wish is my command! What a go Al!" -Genie
" The power the absalute power!" -Jafar
"What have you done?" -Jasmine
" Trust me!" -Aladdin
"The universe is mine to command, to control!" -Jafar
" Not so fast Jafar aren't you forgetting something!"- Aladdin
"You want to be a genie you've got it! -Aladdin
"WHAT!" - Jafar
"And everything that goes with it!" -Aladdin
"Noooo!" -Jafar
"I am getting out of here I don't want to be a genie!" -Iago
" Costmic powers! Itty bitty living space!" - Aladdin

(This might not be all right the right quote but it is close)[/quote]
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(This might not be all right the right quote but it is close)

You are pretty close with those lines. Minus spelling/grammar, just change:

"The Genie has more power than you'll ever have!" -Aladdin
"What!" -Jafar
"He gave you your power he can take it back(change that to 'away')!" -Aladdin
"Al, what are you doing? Why are you bringing me into this?" -Genie
"Face it Jafar your still secound best!" -Aladdin
"Your right this(change that to 'his') power doesn't succeed(change that to 'does exceed') my own. But not for long." -Jafar
"The boy is crazy a little high strung(change that to 'punch drunk'), one to many hits from(change that to 'with') the snake!" -Genie
"Slave! I make my third wish! I wish to be an all powerful Genie!"-Jafar
"Alright your wish is my command! What a(change that to 'way to') go Al!" -Genie
" (Add 'Yes!' 'Yes!' ) The power the absalute power!" -Jafar
"What have you done?" -Jasmine
" Trust me!" -Aladdin
"The universe is mine to command, to control!" -Jafar
" Not so fast Jafar aren't you forgetting something!"- Aladdin
("Huh?"-Jafar)
"You want(change that to 'wanted) to be a genie you've got it! -Aladdin
"WHAT!" - Jafar
"And everything that goes with it!" -Aladdin
"Noooo! (another 'nooo')" -Jafar
"I am getting out of here. ("Come on! You're the Genie!) I don't...!" -Iago
"(insert Phenominal) Costmic powers! Itty bitty living space!" - Aladdin

Absolute power currupts absolutely *nods*
EDIT:....why the deuce did I just sit there and do that? *shrugs and walks away* Pay no attention to this.
Princess Lydia
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah thanks it just came out of the top of my head or it would have been better!
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG- the master "Aladdin" dialogue fixerupper...

Now if you ever need any KOT dialogue reworked, I'm here. But it might take a bit- I'm a busy monster. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum