Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - A villain should be...
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A villain should be...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: A villain should be... Reply with quote

It seems there's been a lot of discussion about villains lately. Or, at least, that seems to be the threads I've been replying to a lot lately.

What I want to know, is what does everybody consider a good villain? Some people like them to be pure evil with nothing good about them. Others like them to have a good side that's hard to reach. Still others like them to be smart, while some other individuals like them to be comically dumb. Whatever the case, there's a lot of different preferences. So, in your opinion, what constitutes a good villain?

~Hikaru
Lord Mozenrath
Apathetic Lord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly a "Pure Evil" type. Sure I'm arrogant, selfish, ruthless and blah blah blah, but I am pretty nice (well, probably 20% or less)

I don't go all fanatic about that evil laugh, since it's a waste of time, and I focus on the things I'm good at: conquering other kingdoms, putting down idiots who are beneath me, and I never appreciate sheer luck.

In the whole, I'm pretty much a complex character: doing what I'm good at.

And those who tried to redeem me, I just well.... destroyed them, since no one, and I mean no one has the right to reform me at all. Heck, people should reform themselves, instead of following others (stupid) advices.

~Moz

AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villains who have more than one dimension to them other than just pure evil. That gets kind of boring after a while and I find it sorta hard to JUST be completely black hearted and nothing else. I want to be able to be sad for them, laugh at them, be annoyed by them, and fear them. Someone that can bring you that close to them when they are the "bad" person is great in my book. They've suckered you in on other levels while getting their goal accomplished. Sneaky mofos Laughing
Lord Mozenrath
Apathetic Lord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have a question, mortals.

If you were a "villain", would you be a comical one? Or a ruthless being who takes his/her role seriously (that means lacking humor)

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I be dead serious about what I'm doing, but funny about it? Cause that really fits me Laughing
Lord Mozenrath
Apathetic Lord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Can I be dead serious about what I'm doing, but funny about it? Cause that really fits me Laughing

Mmmhmm, sure *shrugs*

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Villains who have more than one dimension to them other than just pure evil. That gets kind of boring after a while and I find it sorta hard to JUST be completely black hearted and nothing else. I want to be able to be sad for them, laugh at them, be annoyed by them, and fear them. Someone that can bring you that close to them when they are the "bad" person is great in my book. They've suckered you in on other levels while getting their goal accomplished. Sneaky mofos Laughing

Oh yeah! Villains that you end up falling in love with are the best.

~Hikaru
Lord Mozenrath
Apathetic Lord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
AladdinsGenie wrote:

~Hikaru

Sadly, some of those "villain love" end up having a tragic ending and they end up killing or betraying each other due to circumstances......

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Mozenrath wrote:
So, I have a question, mortals.

If you were a "villain", would you be a comical one? Or a ruthless being who takes his/her role seriously (that means lacking humor)

If I were a villain, there would be reasons for it. Maybe the crap I took in middle school drove me to become a villain, or maybe it was other past issues. At any rate, I wouldn't kill...much. Oh, no. You can do so much more damage without even picking up a sword. Words, themselves can be lethal. It's all in how you use them.
As for humour, I have a sarcastic sense of humour sometimes. If I were a villain, I can see me using it more often.

~Hikaru
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Mozenrath wrote:
PrincessHikaru wrote:
AladdinsGenie wrote:

~Hikaru

Sadly, some of those "villain love" end up having a tragic ending and they end up killing or betraying each other due to circumstances......

I didn't say villains had to turn into girl scouts just because they fall in love. I like it because it isn't your typical Cinderella story.
I think more often than not, villains don't end up with their first love.

~Hikaru
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody does things they think are wrong. A good villain must believe in that what they do is right, even if most people can clearly see that it's otherwise. It's enough if they think it's right for them. A villain without a motive (and "I love evil! It makes me so happy!" is not a motive, unless we're talking about a psychopath).

That said, I like villains with understandable goals. For example, let's imagine that character A's brother had accidentaly died while he was being arrested for petty thieving. If A came back years later to get revenge on Rasoul, I would symphatize with him, even though I'd still think he was wrong. A good villain should make you ponder who is right. If it's a black and white "you're right, you're wrong" situation, it's usually boring.

On the other hand, I despise the idea that evil deeds can be excused just because there is a reason for them. For example, I don't like fanfics in which Mozenrath's deeds are forgiven just because of a tragic past. Especially if the past is that Destane raped him, but that's a rant for another day. Let's just say that I absolutely hate that plot point.

Personally, I like older, lanky and intelligent villains. Always have and always will. There's just something charming about a physical weakling who can use his brain to get what he wants. And I like older men, so yeah. Rolling Eyes
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VampireNaomi wrote:
Nobody does things they think are wrong. A good villain must believe in that what they do is right, even if most people can clearly see that it's otherwise. It's enough if they think it's right for them. A villain without a motive (and "I love evil! It makes me so happy!" is not a motive, unless we're talking about a psychopath).

That said, I like villains with understandable goals. For example, let's imagine that character A's brother had accidentaly died while he was being arrested for petty thieving. If A came back years later to get revenge on Rasoul, I would symphatize with him, even though I'd still think he was wrong. A good villain should make you ponder who is right. If it's a black and white "you're right, you're wrong" situation, it's usually boring.

On the other hand, I despise the idea that evil deeds can be excused just because there is a reason for them. For example, I don't like fanfics in which Mozenrath's deeds are forgiven just because of a tragic past. Especially if the past is that Destane raped him, but that's a rant for another day. Let's just say that I absolutely hate that plot point.

Personally, I like older, lanky and intelligent villains. Always have and always will. There's just something charming about a physical weakling who can use his brain to get what he wants. And I like older men, so yeah. Rolling Eyes

You like Frollo from "Hunchback" too, eh Vamp?

And that is a good sentiment. Villains should have their shades of gray and goes for heroes too. I'm not complaining how they did Aladdin. They did a wonderful job on him with personality. I'm saying that heroes should not be boring. You should have a reason to root for them.
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:
You like Frollo from "Hunchback" too, eh Vamp?

My, am I that obvious? Laughing

Nez wrote:
And that is a good sentiment. Villains should have their shades of gray and goes for heroes too. I'm not complaining how they did Aladdin. They did a wonderful job on him with personality. I'm saying that heroes should not be boring. You should have a reason to root for them.

Aladdin is definitely one of the best Disney heroes. In his own element he's strong and charming, but throw him into a strange situation and he becomes a little insecure and unsure about himself. I can't believe there are people who don't like him.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VampireNaomi wrote:
Aladdin is definitely one of the best Disney heroes. In his own element he's strong and charming, but throw him into a strange situation and he becomes a little insecure and unsure about himself. I can't believe there are people who don't like him.

*glomps him*

And I should never meet those individuals for the sake of their own lives Laughing

Some of the best (human) heroes Disney has come out with has been in recent years oddly enough.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
VampireNaomi wrote:

*glomps him*

And I should never meet those individuals for the sake of their own lives Laughing

Some of the best (human) heroes Disney has come out with has been in recent years oddly enough.

Maybe because they're getting to be less idealistic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum