Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - A villain should be...
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A villain should be...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever get married, I feel sorry for that guy having to put up with my Aladdiness Laughing
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
If I ever get married, I feel sorry for that guy having to put up with my Aladdiness Laughing

Laughing It isn't so bad for him. He's into toy-collecting and picks up Disney Princess or Aladdin stuff if he sees it at a sale.

He picked up an Aladdin music book for me once, as a matter of fact Smile

Some girls get flowers, I get food and toys. Laughing

~Hikaru
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a husband like that cause lord knows I have a lot of Aladdin toys. If he doesn't like those two things, forget it Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate what Disney did with Peter Pan. With the exception of Tinkerbell, Disney mauled the characters horribly. Most of the book characters are pretty quirky and well-developed; Disney completely flattened them, leaving behind mere shadows of their printed counterparts.

The original Captain Hook, who little resembled the Disney version, was a very well-written and interesting villain. Probably one of the best villains ever written, really.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Disney characters are either tamer versions or more interesting versions of their former selves.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
I really hate what Disney did with Peter Pan. With the exception of Tinkerbell, Disney mauled the characters horribly. Most of the book characters are pretty quirky and well-developed; Disney completely flattened them, leaving behind mere shadows of their printed counterparts.

The original Captain Hook, who little resembled the Disney version, was a very well-written and interesting villain. Probably one of the best villains ever written, really.

"Eyes were blue like forget-me-nots, save for when he was about to plunge his hook into somebody's belly in which they turned red."

I love that description (it's probably incorrect but it's in context).
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
A lot of Disney characters are either tamer versions or more interesting versions of their former selves.

Tamer, nuffin'. These guys were steamrollered!

The characters from old fairytales really do need fleshed out, though. Old storytelling, it seems to me, depended more upon fascinating the listener with the situation, not the character. Nowadays, stories make more of an effort to bond the audience with the character.

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:
Syera wrote:

"Eyes were blue like forget-me-nots, save for when he was about to plunge his hook into somebody's belly in which they turned red."

You know what I liked best about the book? The implication that more happened while the Darlings were in Neverland than what was written down. In the Disney version, it was as if they were only there for a night, but really it was longer than that.

~Hikaru
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
Nez wrote:
Syera wrote:

You know what I liked best about the book? The implication that more happened while the Darlings were in Neverland than what was written down. In the Disney version, it was as if they were only there for a night, but really it was longer than that.

~Hikaru

Yes, like when Mr. Darling literally ended up in the doghouse. Laughing
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it seems to me that Disney movies are often spaced in a distressingly short time-span, which annoys me a lot. I started a thread about this somewhere - it may've gotten eaten up during the transfer of the board, though.

Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Actually, it seems to me that Disney movies are often spaced in a distressingly short time-span, which annoys me a lot. I started a thread about this somewhere - it may've gotten eaten up during the transfer of the board, though.

I think you mentioned it in my "Magician's Daughter" thread. I'll check it.

Update: Not in there. Maybe it was under "the cliche list".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I kinda like it when they happen in a shorter period of time. Movies that take longer than that bore me cause it seems like it just keeps dragging on.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it - it's here.

Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I have another question. What do you all think about villain sidekicks? Would you rather your ideal villain had one or not? Or does it depend on the villain?

Personally, I think it depends on the villain. I love the sidekicks that the villain in question is always yelling at to get the job done right. The exchange can be so funny sometimes.

~Hikaru
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum