Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Random thoughts thread
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random thoughts thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amadou wrote:
- When I was little, one scene in "In the Heat of the Fright" scared me out, when guys' boat was taken up to the night sky, right to Mirage's glowing eyes. How did they survive? How could she give up and just let them go when she could finish them up? Sometimes I just don't understand those villains...

...and you've hit on the thing that bothers me most about Mirage. They had to kill off Jafar because he was too powerful a villain, and to keep Genie's powers from making any problem irrelevant they had to make him weaker after he was freed, and make up the Code of the Genie and the whole thing about mixing magics. But Mirage is several times more powerful than any genie and she just gives up? That makes no sense at all. The plot doesn't work unless she's a complete idiot. (Or if her powers are really unpredictable. Wasn't the evil Genie able to hurt her in When Chaos Comes Calling?)

Amadou wrote:
- why didn't he cry about having lost Jasmine in "Ethereal"?! Can he restrain emotions to that point? Or he just couldn't believe it was really happening...

Yeah, we had a whole thread about that recently. Laughing Personally I think he was just really, really angry at that point.
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amadou wrote:
- where did Al get that magic from in "Two To Tangle"? (I'd say it was cool... Does that mean that he's actually got magic, but doesn't know about it? Cool )

It was spirit magic, which is only unlocked when someone is in touch with the spirit realm.

~Hikaru
Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
Amadou wrote:
- where did Al get that magic from in "Two To Tangle"? (I'd say it was cool... Does that mean that he's actually got magic, but doesn't know about it? Cool )

It was spirit magic, which is only unlocked when someone is in touch with the spirit realm.

~Hikaru
Wait, are we talking about the end where Al and Moze's spirits were fighting inside Al's body? Or are we talking about those illusions Moze made while he was in Al's body but before he put on the gauntlet? (showing what the Elixir looked like)
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we were talking about when Al and Moze were fighting at the end, because I never thought of the other thing.

~Hikaru
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
Amadou wrote:

~Hikaru

I always thought of it as a graphical representation of the effort Aladdin was making to kick Mozenrath out of his body.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's how I looked at it at first, too, but I like putting a whole new spin on things.

~Hikaru
Calluna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Why did Aladdin keep wearing the same ratty old clothes throughout most of the series? It's not like they couldn't have given him a new outfit without him losing his Aladdin-ness.

In a few episodes he did have that newer outfit which was very similar to the old one. Actually, does anyone remember seeing the patch on the knee of his pants anytime in the series, because I don't. Maybe he had an exact replica made of new material? Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thought! Probably already thought of, but I'm saying it anyways Laughing

I was in art appreciation today and we were going over ancient cultures and their artwork. We got to this one ground called the Sumerians, and this was on the power point presentation:

The Sumerians worshipped a hierarchy of nature Gods in temples set on huge platforms called Ziggurats. Each civilization had a patron God that they worshipped, although the temples were not open for public worship.

Ziggurats sounds an awful lot like "Zigga Rock" and that whole "worship Abu/The Liberator" thing Laughing.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. Personally, I can't hear the word 'Ziggurat' without thinking of Jack O'Neil's resultant confusion.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Janette Morgan
Jafar's Hourglass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
Yeah, that's how I looked at it at first, too, but I like putting a whole new spin on things.

Eh, that's not much of a new spin. That's more of a Done for Years by Japanese Cartoons and Video Games spin.

(They were CLEARLY ecto-bursts. Brought on by the close contact with Mozenrath's spirit. )

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Jafar doesn't have defined lips either, but his moustache makes up for that, so you don't even think about because you just know there's lips there. That, and like Syera said, his upper lip is thinner than the bottom one, so usually you just leave that one out and imply the bottom one, unless you're a female. Not to mention coloring.

Jafar's lips for me are mostly defined by the way he's always pulling them around, like in this picture. The only critter I've seen with floppier lips than him is a horse. They're just really thin lips.

Avatar base by Angy(-chan) at Yume Studio.
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll admit I first heard of the concept when I saw Yu Yu Hakusho, but what I meant was that it's new to the Disney/Aladdinverse.

~Hikaru
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really random thought about Genie last night. If two people found the lamp and rubbed it at the exact same time, would he have to grant both of them three wishes?
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each gets one and half wishes Laughing

I think it would be three each though. Whoever holds it gets three wishes, so if both of them hold it, then both would get wishes. What a scam Laughing
Arabian Knight
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amadou wrote:
...and you've hit on the thing that bothers me most about Mirage. They had to kill off Jafar because he was too powerful a villain, and to keep Genie's powers from making any problem irrelevant they had to make him weaker after he was freed, and make up the Code of the Genie and the whole thing about mixing magics. But Mirage is several times more powerful than any genie and she just gives up? That makes no sense at all. The plot doesn't work unless she's a complete idiot. (Or if her powers are really unpredictable. Wasn't the evil Genie able to hurt her in When Chaos Comes Calling?)

Simple, because Mirage is actually not more powerful than Genie or any other genie, she is just good in playing mind-games, and for some reason Genie is known to be too foolish and clumsy to take full advantage of his semi-phenomenal, nearly-cosmic powers in the TV series and he has very little self-confidence. Anyone else can take better advantage of his powers, like Mozenrath when he managed to steal only some of his magic and not all of it!

I know his powers have been reduced since "The Return of Jafar" and are no longer complete Phenomenal Cosmic Powers or a brand of magic that never fails like in the 1st movie, but try to compare his abilities in "Aladdin and The King of Theives" to his abilities in the TV series, you will see a big difference not just in terms of physical and mystical abilities, but even in wisdom, intelligence, and personality. He has complete self-confidence and he gives good advice like in the 1st movie unlike in TV series where he is usually out-smarted and needs Aladdin's mortal wisdom to save his butt!

Perhaps his powers, intelligence, and personality just depend on who acts him, he is more powerful when he is Robin Williams, but becomes more like Homer Simpson when he is Dan Castellaneta! Laughing

Come on down, come on in
Let the magic begin
It's another Arabian Night!

Call it mad, call it crazed
But let Allah be praised
It's another Arabian Night!
Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they said Mirage was more powerful than any Genie, but I don't remember the exact line. Maybe I'm thinking of Chaos? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 3 of 42

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum