Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Mistakes Made
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mistakes Made
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see that some of you fell in love with the sequels rather than the original. I personally fell in love with the original, and that's what got me hooked... the sequels just kept me there.

When I look at Aladdin, I look for the original... and that's what I know most about.

Robin Williams helped that, because he was WONDERFUL as the Genie!!! Dan was too, but he didn't have that energy. The reviews for Aladdin always said that Genie was the focus point for the movie because the other characters were quite boring.

I didn't understand that you guys didn't like the original as much as the sequels... my mistake.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not EVERYONE is like that Laughing . I personally love the first film along with the sequels and series. I'm a fandom tramp, what can I say? Wink The first is the first and what got me hooked to begin with. I could have cared less who was playing what character because I didn't know/care when I was little kid. (Except Gilbert, that voice is world renowed, lol). Others got hooked through the series or the sequels first. It's a rare fate, but it does happen.
I think once you have seen a series that comes after a movie, you tend to think the characters in the first movie were boring. You don't have that subtext in the first movie until after the series, which I like because you can do so much with their past from the point of view of the first movie that way. Al in the first compared to Al in "The Return of Malcho" is a huge difference. Just by Al saying he's had a ton of girlfriends before he met Jasmine started me with calling him Pimp Ali Very Happy So I don't think of the characters as boring, but more so bases to either what a series or sequel has in store for them or what you can do with them, which is always fun. Very Happy
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, not EVERYONE is like that . I personally love the first film along with the sequels and series. I'm a fandom tramp, what can I say? The first is the first and what got me hooked to begin with. I could have cared less who was playing what character because I didn't know/care when I was little kid. (Except Gilbert, that voice is world renowed, lol). Others got hooked through the series or the sequels first. It's a rare fate, but it does happen.
I think once you have seen a series that comes after a movie, you tend to think the characters in the first movie were boring. You don't have that subtext in the first movie until after the series, which I like because you can do so much with their past from the point of view of the first movie that way. Al in the first compared to Al in "The Return of Malcho" is a huge difference. Just by Al saying he's had a ton of girlfriends before he met Jasmine started me with calling him Pimp Ali So I don't think of the characters as boring, but more so bases to either what a series or sequel has in store for them or what you can do with them, which is always fun.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me! I mean, usually when you like a movie it's because of the original. Whatever you see first is what you tend to like, and usually, USUALLY that's the original. I personally wouldn't like Aladdin now like I do if it wasn't for the original.

Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let me put it this way: I loved the original when it came out - as a movie. But I wasn't really a fan until I saw RoJ, because until that point I never thought of the characters as having a life outside the plot, but after RoJ I started wondering what the series would be like, and coming up with fanfic ideas (although I didn't know what fanfic was at the time), and that was pretty much it.

(I had a much longer version of this post, but I got that worm thing in the middle of posting it yesterday. Rolling Eyes )
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't understand that you guys didn't like the original as much as the sequels... my mistake.

I'm just the oddball who prefers KOT over anything else in the fandom. Very Happy

I don't hate the original by any stretch of the imagination, but it's lost its value to me overtime, for some reason. I think as a little kid, I fell in love with the character of Genie as well- I thought he was the best thing about the movie. And now, 12 years later, I don't find the material as funny anymore. Aladdin and Jasmine were never that exciting in the movie, IMO, and Jafar/Iago are pretty much the only reasons (at least, reasons based in character) that I like the film.

I think it's just the nature of the film as a comedy- I've never been a big fan of them, and thus the movie pales in comparison to something like Beauty and the Beast, which, after 13 years, still has my love (and bias, I'll admit it).
Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly why I try not to watch any of the movies/episodes too much. I'm afraid I'll get tired of them if I do. Confused
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen KOT *tons* of times, and I've yet to get tired of it. At this point, I'm starting to like things I didn't like before...

But "The Return of Malcho" is another story. I watched it alot, and I haven't been able to motivate myself to watch it in a while. *Grumbles*
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalukFan wrote:
I've seen KOT *tons* of times, and I've yet to get tired of it. At this point, I'm starting to like things I didn't like before...

But "The Return of Malcho" is another story. I watched it alot, and I haven't been able to motivate myself to watch it in a while. *Grumbles*

Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I have watched Aladdin. It never gets boring to me. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that as I get older, I catch and understand a lot more of the little things that were thrown in it. At age 6, I certainly didn't know who Ethel Merman was, and I didn't understand why my parents would laugh when Genie said "I'm gettin' kinda fond of you, kid....Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything." Laughing

Series eps I can get tired of for a while and then I'll tell myself not to watch them again for a while "Caught By The Tale" and "The Game" are the ones I have forbid myself on watching until 2005.
Boz
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel kind of weird admitting this but I have never seen KOT. I saw ROJ once but I don't remember it, except for that song that genie sings when he returns. I used to watch the series religiously when I was a kid but now I only catch it from time to time. I watch the original movie a lot, especially since I have the DVD.

By the way, can you explain the Ethel Merman reference to me? I never understood it. All I know is that she was a Broadway singer.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel kind of weird admitting this but I have never seen KOT. I saw ROJ once but I don't remember it, except for that song that genie sings when he returns.

You don't have to feel weird about that, I understand. I'm also a big fan of the original movie. I feel that if you know the original, it's enough to be on this website. The sequels and series just make you more educated on certain aspects.

Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
feel kind of weird admitting this but I have never seen KOT.

All units, we have a CODE RED! CODE RED!

Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalukFan wrote:
All units, we have a CODE RED! CODE RED!

Laughing

Do not attempt to move or we will be shooting ourselves. Laughing

Boz wrote:

By the way, can you explain the Ethel Merman reference to me? I never understood it. All I know is that she was a Broadway singer.

To really understand you have to hear what she sounds like. When Genie first comes out and starts to sing, that is similar to how she sounded and sang-A Very loud, powerful voice with precise enunciation like that. Laughing She's known for her other "assests" as well, but that's not as important, lol.
Boz
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boz wrote:

AladdinsGenie886 wrote:

To really understand you have to hear what she sounds like. When Genie first comes out and starts to sing, that is similar to how she sounded and sang-A Very loud, powerful voice with precise enunciation like that. Laughing She's known for her other "assests" as well, but that's not as important, lol.

Oh, I get it. Thank you!

Yeah, Hourglass, I'm a big fan of the original movie.

Don't worry, I'll be able to see KOT as well as ROJ once they are released on DVD. I'm looking forward to seeing them. Then maybe I'll understand when you guys talk about characters like Saluk and Cassim. Wink
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then maybe I'll understand when you guys talk about characters like Saluk and Cassim.

Yeah, you definetly need to know who Cassim is. If you ever wanted to know what Aladdin will look like in the future, just look at Cassim. They're almost identical.
Saluk is a cool character, but not nearly as cool as the original... Jafar.

Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Saluk is a cool character, but not nearly as cool as the original... Jafar.

:cough:underappreciated:cough: Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum