Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Contests?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contests?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Contests? Reply with quote

I've poked all around the main Aladdin Central site for awhile, but I haven't found any evidence of this, so I'm asking: Do you guys ever do contests? I was only wondering because a lot of sites I know that are the size of AC have contests every once in awhile - for fan fiction, art, or other creative submissions. I'm not pushing you guys and saying that AC should do contests; I'm just wondering if you have ever done them in the past, or would consider doing them in the future. (And I don't mean mammoth gladiator competitions that have snazzy prizes - just little challenges for the heck of it.)
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, well, we keep talking about having an art contest, but it's never really materialized. And if it were a fanfic contest, knowing this fandom, it might be a little tough to drum up enough entries. I really don't think of it as very big, myself. But if people are interested in it, I'm not against it. Smile
Princess Lydia
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Oooh an art contest would be very cool!! Cool
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm horrible at writing fanfic, but I'd definitely be in if we were to hold an art contest! Smile
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for an art contest, display, showcase-whatever. I've never tried the fanfiction world before....People leave nicer comments for drawings Smile
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have the artistic skills of a steamed carrot, but I think an art contest would be just swanky. Some sites do themed contests throughout the year - like, a Valentine's Day contest, a Christmas contest, etc. - so that would be an easy way to have a set deadline and theme for it. Or you could just arbitrarily pick a theme and deadline, or have no theme in particular. (That makes judging harder, though, since entires are usually varied in style and content.)

*heh* Lookit me, pretending that I've done this before...

Anywho, if you had a fiction contest, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at it, so you'd have at least one entry. Smile Of course, style/theme boundaries are even more useful for fiction than art, so you could say, "It's gotta be between X and Y number of words," or "It's gotta be about this character," or "It's gotta be a romance," or whatever you so desire. Or you could just say, "Write fiction, you slackers!" and take whatever comes in. ^.^;

I have to admit, though, that the "showcase" idea sounds better for both types, because then nobody would actually have to bother with judging anything. Razz We could just have a shiny link on the main page that says, "We had a showcase. Revel in the pretty results!" and then admire it for a couple of weeks before taking it down. If it were a contest, though, the winner could get something simple, like bragging rights. Or maybe getting their message board ranking changed to "Royal Painter/Scribe" for a week. Or something.

And I said I wasn't pushing you... Laughing Seriously, though, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably contribute to a fanfiction contest, I love writing even if most of my stuff isn't very good.

I can't draw worth beans, either, though, but I'd be interested in following along an art contest; I know there are some really talented artists around here.
Dragonessa
Snarky Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be there for a contest, too. Although I suck at drawing, I did some (IMO) quite good pics of Iago, so I could throw them in. And for a fanfiction contest, it would depend on the theme and how big a contribution should be, since I'm pretty busy with school and stuff. However, I love writing, so I'd probably try to get something done anyway, lol. Who needs a real life? Laughing
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a double threat, writer and artist.

However, some of the contests I've been in, I only won because I was the only darn entry.

Slightly disheartening.
Snarky Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and what about poetry? We could do a poem contest as well. This way, the entries wouldn't have to be very long.
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that this idea interests at least a few people. We should probably take some kind of vote about it, though, or else it'll amount to nothing more than this thread. *looks around* Oh, darn, I can only create a poll on a new thread. I'll have to make do.

Alright, everyone, hypothetical question: Supposing we had some kind of showcase/contest for art/ficiton/poetry...Would you definitely participate in at least one area of it, or at least think reeeaaaaally hard about participating?
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defentliy want to writing and drawing is my thing! An art contest would be tons of fun! I would do a fanfic but.. I am kind of in the middle of writting one!! Very Happy

Last edited by Princess Lydia on Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing, dear - writing with one T. Not to be picky or anything, but if you love to do it, you might as well spell it right. ^_^;;

Then again, that might not really mean anything. My mom was an English teacher for seven years, and we just now taught her how to spell "tacos." Razz
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider the writing aspect, though my procrastion might try to restrain me. *Beats procrastination with a stick*

As far as an art contest, no way. I'm a terrible artist. But I'd be willing to judge one or something.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art. Yes, art. I'm not even gonna try fanfiction, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum