Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - A matter of time
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A matter of time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: A matter of time Reply with quote

Hi, all. Smile I wasn't sure if this belonged in the fan-fiction section or here (since it ties into a fan-fiction plot bunny I have, so my apologies if it's not in the right spot).

Anyways, in what era does Aladdin occur? The story that I had in mind would involve Aladdin and co. meeting up with a person from someplace in Europe (or the European-equivalent in the Aladdin-verse), and I wasn't sure if it would be the Dark Ages in Europe during the time that Aladdin was set (though I figured that it might be a little too early for the medieval era).

(BTW, as much as I like that episode, for the sake of my story I will be ignoring the Hercules/Aladdin crossover).
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no particular era where the series occurs. The series tends to do so much globe hopping, and particularly to very fictionalized generalized places both "real" (Odiferous) and mythical (the land of the Galafems). If I'd wager a guess for a time period, possibly during the European middle ages, because there was an episode with Mechanicles and a European-ish sailor. At the time, the Middle East was very prosperous as a crossroads for East-West trade and for learning. Still, the series is pretty much built on anachronisms, so I wouldn't worry about historical accuracy.
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinkin' wayyyy back, like 2500 bc, or whenever it was the sphinx was being built (on account of that dude in egypt during the AWNW sequence) Then again, I haven't really observed any more time references...so I could be way off.
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no. It couldn't be any earlier than the mid-600s AD. How do I know this? Because they're Muslim. The sphinx thing is a puzzling anachronism, but the fact remains that Agrabah is quite definitely a Muslim city, and the religion started in the 600s.

I set it in the 8 or 900s AD myself, seeing as Arabia was having a bit of a golden age in that time period. But yes, that would be the "dark ages" in Europe--before the Crusades, even.
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't the whole concept of "The Arabian Nights", of which Aladdin is a tale, a pre-Islam idea? Or maybe I'm getting that mixed up with something else Confused

Hmmm, I'm still not sure. I know they mention Allah and Jasmine covers herself when they go out, but it still doesn't seem like it...it just gives off this vibe of ancient history...but that's probably because ancient history is my favourite.
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some interesting replies. Much obliged. Very Happy

@Emmiel: I do recall that episode with Mechanikles and the European sailor (Al Batross, wasn’t it)? I haven’t seen it in such a long time and totally forgot about it.

While I like history myself, I’m actually not very good at remembering specific historical dates, so I admit that I didn’t know that about the sphinx. I guess the animators tossed that in without doing a little research or thought it'd be cute to include it or something?

*checks Wikipedia* Apparently, the Arabian Nights were collected sometime in AD 800-900, so that would place its' creation after the founding of Islam.
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to tvtropes.org, the series pretty much falls into what they term "Arabian Nights Days," which is set between 700-1000AD. So, the above suggestions of around 800-900AD are pretty good guesses.

If you want to know more, check the link:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArabianNightsDays
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the DVD they said it was set in the 15th century (although I personally don't agree with that; my argument against it is here). Personally I agree with what others here have said, that it's probably in the Abbasid Caliphate (around 800s and 900s), since that's when most of the Arabian Nights stories are set.

(I just want to write a fanfic with Haroun al-Rashid in it. Is that so wrong? Laughing )

dazzeling diamond wrote:
But isn't the whole concept of "The Arabian Nights", of which Aladdin is a tale, a pre-Islam idea? Or maybe I'm getting that mixed up with something else Confused

I'd bet that some of the individual stories are. Some of Sindbad's adventures are eerily similar to Odysseus', IIRC...

There are no records of the story of Aladdin before 1709, though, unless Wikipedia is lying to me again. Laughing

dazzeling diamond wrote:
Hmmm, I'm still not sure. I know they mention Allah and Jasmine covers herself when they go out, but it still doesn't seem like it...it just gives off this vibe of ancient history...but that's probably because ancient history is my favourite.

When I was 10 and first saw Aladdin I thought it was a lot earlier, too, because I knew absolutely nothing about medieval Arabia, but I did know a lot about ancient Egypt. The next year when I actually learned something about Islam in Social Studies class I had to do a lot of backpedaling. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then they're constantly screwing up with the anachronistic items cause fireworks weren't invented until the 1100s, the Unkbut were farming potatoes and that's not in the rest of the world until after the late 1400s/early 1500s, and that guy was still working on the Sphinx when Aladdin and Jasmine fly by and that's around 2500-ish B.C.E. The last one is a joke, I know, but still Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
There are no records of the story of Aladdin before 1709, though, unless Wikipedia is lying to me again. Laughing

It's not. I have a history channel special of the Arabian Nights recorded, and I've done a paper on it. The story of Aladdin wasn't in the original set. That's something Andrew Galland added when he was translating the stories cause he over heard some dude at a party telling them or something. I need to watch the special again Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*spam whore today* Laughing

So I just watched the special again, and yeah, he heard it at a party. It wasn't in the original text. Galland would attend dinner parties with French noblemen and among the people there was a Syrian priest named Hannah Dahl (Hana Dia? I didn't catch the spelling, but that's what it sounds like Laughing). He would entertain the men by telling versions of Arabic tales. Galland would scribble down those stories at the end of the night and that's where the stories of Aladdin and Ali Baba show up in the over-all Arabian Nights series because he was still translating other texts given to him up until his death.
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15th Century? The 15th bloody century? Meaning, after the Crusades? After the Turks had already gotten a foothold in the region? You don't GET a city like Agrabah in the 15th century! They need a historical consultant, and if they have one he needs to stop sleeping on the job!

Quote:
I just want to write a fanfic with Haroun al-Rashid in it.

Okay, the Aladdin characters going to Baghdad and meeting Haroun al-Rashid would be the best thing ever. I can only imagine their reaction upon hearing the name of Haroun's vizier...
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 800-900 AD it is then.

dazzeling diamond wrote:

Calluna wrote:
I'd bet that some of the individual stories are. Some of Sindbad's adventures are eerily similar to Odysseus', IIRC...

Well, I remember Wikipedia saying that some of the stories One Thousand And One Nights had Indian, Egyptian, and Mesopotamian roots (among a few others).
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want to write a fanfic with Haroun al-Rashid in it.

Jafaria wrote:
Okay, the Aladdin characters going to Baghdad and meeting Haroun al-Rashid would be the best thing ever. I can only imagine their reaction upon hearing the name of Haroun's vizier...

If that were a real story, I'd read it. Very Happy
Emmlei
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafaria wrote:
The 15th Century? The 15th bloody century? Meaning, after the Crusades? After the Turks had already gotten a foothold in the region? You don't GET a city like Agrabah in the 15th century! They need a historical consultant, and if they have one he needs to stop sleeping on the job!

Hey, if I recall correctly, the story of Aladdin is actually set in China, not the Middle East. So it's just one more thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum