Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Beta Question
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beta Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Beta Question Reply with quote

My apologies if this question belongs in the sticky "Betas/Editors" thread.

For those of you who write fan fiction, I ask you - On large projects, is it customary to acquire a beta reader or editor during or after the piece's completion? I would assume that one simply writes the story and then finds someone to critique it afterwards, but that would be a lot of work on anything but a one-shot or short story. Is this a matter of personal preference, or is one method better than the other? (My only experience on the subject is with peer critiquing groups in creative writing courses.)
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of betas - it gives you a good , unbiased, honest look at your work. Smile
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - I'm just asking when I ought to get one. Smile Before I finish the story, or after?
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd always finish a rough draft and then proofread it myself a few times through first. Smile Just makes their job a bit easier. Smile
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! *grins and gives thumbs-up* Just what I wanted to hear, incidentally. Very Happy
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people do it either way. If you want someone to beta for plot/characterization as well as spelling and grammar, you should probably do it a bit at a time if you don't want to maybe have to rewrite huge portions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum