Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Most Over-Looked Disney Movie?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Over-Looked Disney Movie?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Most Over-Looked Disney Movie? Reply with quote

I am a Disney fanatic, in general. So, it's my duty to watch all the movies and learn things about them. But which one or ones for that matter do you think are the most over looked and why?

I think The Great Mouse Detective, The Rescuers+sequel, and Treasure Planet are overlooked. I was taking a Disney quiz at funtrivia.com and came upon a question that asked "What is the name of the pegleg sidekick to the villain in "The Great Mouse Detective"?" Only 2% could remember it was Fidget. I love this movie. It showcases Val Bettin-our future sultan-as Dawson. I also love the song "Good-By So Soon." It's enchantingly evil and funny.

A lot of people forget that the Rescuer's Down Under came right after the Little Mermaid. That "Big Four" block of movies kinda overshadow it. I use to watch this movie all the time when I was small. I watched a lot of mice movies now that I think about it. But anyway, Wilbur and Orville was the greatest historical connection in a animated film I made at my young age, lol. I was so happy I caught and understood that. Thank-you Rescuer's and sequel. The scene where Orville gets a shot still haunts me. Thanks for that too.

Treasure Planet, a recent favorite of mine. The interaction between Jim and Silver is great. "I'm Still Here" is one of my all time favorite Disney songs. I can see bits of Aladdin the movie in this film. Like when Jim is reaching out for Silver's hand. It reminds me of when Aladdin was reaching out for Jafar's hand at the Cave of Wonders. Even some of the lines they say remind me of the movie. Plus, the mix of CGI and animation in this movie is fantastic. I love watching it at night. I get the full effect of everything.
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say definitely The Rescuers Down Under. I grew up on that movie, and didn't see it for a long time. Then I got a copy of the DVD a couple of years ago and started watching it again, and it absolutely amazed me. The art throughout the whole film is gorgeous. The animation on Marahute is so detailed, so graceful, and so beautiful that it blew me away. And I love the score to death. The song "Cody's Flight" is one of my favorite score pieces ever. I can listen to that one over and over again and close my eyes, and I can almost see the scene playing out in my head. Just awesome.
Marisa
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three you mentioned, along with The Black Cauldron. That movie is GOREGEOUS, and completely cel-animated. *_* I was dazzled when I first saw it.
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm going to have to go with Treasure Planet.

I adore Treasure Planet- great acting, beautiful animation, nice story. Silver is awesome, the whole thing (as AG) reminds me of Aladdin, though more KOT than the original. "I'm Still Here" is a great song, perfectly fitting, and only the character of B.E.N. throws the movie down a notch.
Aggie
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with each movie mentioned first: Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective, and Treasure Planet.

I've had the Rescuers tape for so long and I still remember the story, how magnificent it was. It wasn't just about the mice, but also about Cody and his bravery.

I only saw Great Mouse Detective with my neibour's daughter (she was around 4 when I saw it with her, while I was around 15) and I enjoyed it very much. It was clever, funny, and darn good characters.

Treasure Planet was up there too, and I wondered why it didn't have as much recognition as Monster's, Inc or Finding Nemo, etc.. but then again I'm comparing it to Pixar. Erm. Anyways, I loved the characters in this movie (Morph and Ben rule!) and the story was quite unique. I could feel the adventure throughout the film.

I'm trying to think of others but I'm not quite sure of their popularity rate. Was Duck Tales: The Movie over-looked? I reaaally liked that film back in the day. Another fun, adventurous, slightly suspence-ish film for the youngin's.
Cyber Ghost
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rescuers I'd say is more neglected that The Rescuers Down Under. THere was awhile there when the sequel was on once every other week (this was a few years ago).

Treasure Planet is one of the newer Disney movies, one of many that because of it's lack of popularity, was ignored promptly after release to video. Same with The Great Mouse Detective. Now that I think back on it..was that one ever in the theaters? Sad though, cause both were good movies. Treasure Planet came out right around with Titain AE, which I imagine is what killed it.

Ooh, Duck Tales! Man, haven't seen that one in days. That one and The Black Cauldron were well known when they were released, heard of them constantly. But yeah, Duck Tales died with its series and The Black Cauldron was a home video release to begin with.

Oliver And Company just got put on video.. I hadn't heard of that one since I saw it with my mom when I was, what, five..?

I think it's time to go rewatch some of these!
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyber Ghost wrote:
The Rescuers I'd say is more neglected that The Rescuers Down Under. THere was awhile there when the sequel was on once every other week (this was a few years ago).

The original is overlooked, definitely, but IMHO the sequel was much, much better. That's why I mentioned RDU and not th original. Smile
Cyber Ghost
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The original is overlooked, definitely, but IMHO the sequel was much, much better. That's why I mentioned RDU and not th original. Smile

Oh, without a doubt!
Marisa
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfkirsten wrote:
Cyber Ghost wrote:

Kind of makes me wonder how much better The Rescuers would have been if they'd been true to the book. I miss Nils the Sailor. >,>
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marisa wrote:
xfkirsten wrote:
Cyber Ghost wrote:

I agree. I enjoyed the sequal (Rescuers Down Under) much more than the original.. the story and animation seemed more attractive to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the golden eagle scene at the beginning... OMG GORGEOUS. *cries* I wanna fly with a golden eagle...
Spinelli
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Cries* That movie always brings a tear to my eye! Its so beautiful!

But i haven't gone soft just yet its just that i feel sorry for the little boy and the golden eagle!
Kam
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treasure Planet and the Black Cauldron. Both were great, and it makes me mad how Disney pretends the Black Cauldron never exsisted!
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it makes me mad how Disney pretends the Black Cauldron never exsisted!

I wouldn't go that far with it. It's recognized on "House of Mouse" quite a bit.
Marisa
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! The Basil of Baker Street, from The Great Mouse Detective, will be appearing in a new Disney movie soon. It's called "The Search fo Mickey Mouse", or something along those lines. ^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum