Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Live-Action 'Aladdin' from Disney still on the way...
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live-Action 'Aladdin' from Disney still on the way...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Live-Action 'Aladdin' from Disney still on the way... Reply with quote

This live-action, modern-day 'Aladdin' movie, which was posted about here almost three years ago, is apparantly still being developed by producers Adam Shankman and Jennifer Gibgot's Offspring Entertainment for Disney:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117981497.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Quote:
Among the projects that Offspring is developing at Disney are ... a live-action "Aladdin" scripted by Bill Kelly ("Enchanted")

The article also says that Offspring have signed a deal with Disney for three more years, so presumably the movie is planned to come out sometime before then.

Last edited by Calluna on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still curious as to where they are taking this Laughing
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of interested to see it was being written by the same guy who wrote Enchanted. I haven't seen Enchanted yet (I know, I know...) ; do you think that makes you feel better or worse about how this movie will turn out?
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I was curious to see how this would turn out Laughing.

If it's Enchanted 2.0, I personally probably wouldn't care much for it because Enchanted wasn't my thing at all, but would probably enjoy it for what it's worth because I still love the story of Aladdin. (Are they still going with the Disney version?) I'd have to see what they'd do with it, though. There's nothing wrong with it being like Enchanted, I just know I'll have issues with it if it is, but I am a small, tiny, microscopic minority on that, so don't listen to me Laughing. Everyone else would love it, I'm sure.

I kinda doubt they'd do that, though, considering they're working/thinking on a sequel right now, so we'll have to see Laughing
Calluna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
(Are they still going with the Disney version?)

The new article didn't say, but the old one said it was a modern-day Aladdin. It's being made by Disney, though.
Oasis
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Modern-day'? Aw man, I have a bad feeling about that. It makes me think of a cross between that 1996 film 'Kazaam' with Shaq in it and Enchanted. Hm... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thrilled to pieces to hear that this project is being written by Bill Kelly, though I will freely admit that this is totally based on my love for Enchanted. I've not seen the other films I know he's written (Blast from the Past and Premonition).

I do think that based on the little bit we've heard about this project...live-action, Aladdin, and modern...based on Enchanted, I think that Kelly could indeed do a fantastic job with the film. 2D animation, Alan Menken, and the idea of Disney poking a bit of fun at themselves got me pumped to see Enchanted the first time, but the story and characters were why I went back a...um...few...more times. The movie plays with fairy-tale conventions, but with a heart and sincerity within the playfulness and spoofing that help make it engaging as its own story.

That said, I wouldn't want this new project to feel like a retread of Enchanted, or of anything else. I admit to being a little worried beneath my initial excitement for Enchanted because I thought the 'let's spoof Disney-style fairy tales' notion was wearing thin. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Shrek the Third...) The movie approached the idea in a well-written way that felt fresh and engaging, even in the moments when it WAS predictable. I would trust Kelly to strike the right balance between a classic story and a new, modern one, but I hope that can be done in a way that feels fresh. Bottom line, I guess I'd say trilled, but not without a hint of nervousness, too. (Same as I feel about any rumored sequel plans for Enchanted, come to think of it....)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasis wrote:
'Modern-day'? Aw man, I have a bad feeling about that. It makes me think of a cross between that 1996 film 'Kazaam' with Shaq in it and Enchanted. Hm... Rolling Eyes

I'ver never seen "Kazaam," but I have seen "A Kid in Aladdin's Palace."
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that was me.
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Bill Kelly is writing it (and I loved Enchanted) makes me less nervous about this than I was when I first heard about it. But the modern day element still worries me a bit.

I'd be happy (and probably not worried at all) if Alan Menken signed on to do the music. That would be a wish come true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum