Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Full Cast Announced for Disney's Aladdin in Seattle!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full Cast Announced for Disney's Aladdin in Seattle!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still stuck with the tone, but I think I'm just gonna go for it and be quirky. I keep trying to make it serious and it just doesn't sound right to me. I think I can strike the right tone between humor and taking me seriously.

That's a lot more normal than my plan of "smile and kidnap" Laughing
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still struggling on how to set mine up. I have a slightly-modified intro pretty much finished, and now I'm starting the body of the letter--I'm not sure whether or not I want to tackle the reviews first or talk about how much this movie/fandom deserves a Broadway show.

Laughing I didn't even consider that until now. I would have to resist the urge to cling to his arm and never let go though XD.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my problem, too. I would love nothing more than to just point out all the wrong things in those reviews, but I can't just go "this is wrong and this is wrong kbai". I gotta state my case, not just go on defense Laughing. I'm gonna work on it today, though, and see what I come up with.

Yeah, and there's always that option. It's classic Laughing
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I'm worried about is stating my case in a believable way since I haven't seen the show--and I mentioned that in my intro, so right off the bat I'm afraid they might try and discount my opinion Confused I mean it worked with the 5th because I sort of showed them with praise to be honest Laughing But I can't really take that same approach with Disney since I need it to sound convincing. I think I am going to talk about the movie, and how it's just written in a way that it can be adapted to the stage. Should I talk about cost too? I really think this could benefit them since unlike Tarzan and TLM they didn't use flashy effects, so they wouldn't have to invest crazy millions to do it. Blegh, why is writing a persuasive letter so hard? I can write an essay but not a letter Laughing

I'd have accomplished my number one goal in life--to hold and be held by Aladdin Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, anything you say will already be a step above some of those reviews Laughing. I would argue more from the point of what you know is true from the movie and what they're saying is missing from the play knowing what they added. Aladdin and Jasmine can't be direct tranfers from the movie when they didn't have friends there and now they do, you know? Their characters have to change or be "watered down" as it was called. The review are looking for one thing, but not looking for why it's not there, which I think needs to be pointed out and that's something we can do really well.
I don't know if we have to put it into Disney's heads to make it since they already have it on the brain, but it's a letter of asking them to continue to develop it more, be that with a tour or Broadway in the future. I don't want that to be it and they're like "Oh, ok, well, we tried" with nothing else done.

Such a lovely way to die Laughing
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda like what I had in mind, that really helps thanks Very Happy. I'm going to have mention how amazing the cast was too, because that goes without saying Laughing I can't understand how they're not willing to take the risk--I mean they'd do it for any other movie Rolling Eyes. I mean, isn't Newsies going directly to Broadway? What's wrong with our show/movie? Laughing It's like Aladdin has the plague or something.

Heck yes. I'd die with a smile on my face, that's for sure. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ours has a lot of "stuff" attached to it (read: controversies and political crap), so it's a little trickier to handle than the others Confused . At least, that's what I tell myself because I can't see any other reason
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking too, but people love it anyway, just judging by how many come to the DCA show Rolling Eyes And everyone I talked to liked this one. I dunno...but I did finish my letter ( finally! ) XD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my notepad open! Laughing
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of controversial... I think Disney might be lightening up in that regard!

I sat down in the BFI cinema expecting to see the restored DVD version of the film. First we were treated to the black and white Donald's Crime (really nice surprise) and then the curtains opened fully, up came the old "Buena Vista Interntational" logo which I don't even remember, followed by the classic Disney logo (I like the new one but the old one with that music was SOOO much better) and then the Narrator began to sing... "where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face"

I think I missed the next line whilst I was picking my jaw up from the floor! I couldn't believe they were using an original US print (UK didn't get the film till 93 and they'd changed the line before then) which I'd never seen before. It was so refreshing watching the original, unrestored film with all the grain and slightly more muted colors that went with it (it must have been a repaired reel as well Iago's line got cut off "I'm embarrassed, I'm blush-" as they cut to the next scene).

The audience was amazing, there were a few children but it was mostly people in their 20s-30s who grew up with the film and you could tell from the laughter that they all still loved it. What really got me was the applause at the end. Maybe it's not that big a deal in the US but in the UK it almost never happens unless it's a fan event (like midnight openings for Star Wars). I was a little emotional anyway just seeing it again on the big screen, but the clapping really touched me and yeah I'll admit it made me cry a bit as well. I didn't know anyone there apart from Jane, but for that moment I felt a connection with everyone in the room. And everyone stayed till the end of the credits!

Like most of your I'm still struggling with my letters. I left them a bit so they would be more rational/less emotional after the reviews and the end of the show, but the film has really inspired me and I think the audience reaction shows just how loved the film is and how much of a potential audience there is for this show.

Oh and the new M&M's World in London is even bigger than the one in New York! And they have human sized M&M's dancing the Macarena! Yep, crazy day!!
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's amazing that they did that! I agree with you about the logo thing, the new one just doesn't seem the same at all, sometimes I wonder why they changed it :/. That sounds like it was an awesome experience, I'm glad you had fun! ^^
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrghh, how on earth did I miss Aladdin in the cinema?! I vaguely remember seeing about the BFI event but I stupidly forgot to investigate further. It's also showing on Saturday, but it's sold out *cries* I am so tempted to phone up and see if it is actually sold out... I only need one ticket after all Wink
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly worth a phone call.

If you live close enough it might be worth just calling in on the day in case someone doesn't show up (if they have uncollected tickets when it's due to start you could get lucky).

I don't remember seeing any empty seats, but they let the last load of people in after the Donald short and the lights were already down by then so I could have missed them.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London blog update is finally done;

http://aladdinmusical.blogspot.com/2011/09/where-they-cut-off-your-ear-if-they.html

Nothing more than an extended version of what I posted here a few days ago (not sure if it's better for the extension or not but oh well!)

And just heard from Courtney's mom again. Courtney is busy with auditions at the moment (can't wait to hear what she's doing next) but the interview is done so I'll hopefully have it for the blog soon! And both she and Courtney extend their sincerest thanks to the fans here for our letter writing and continued support of the show Very Happy
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised they showed that version. That wouldn't fly here in the States, especially not now, but I didn't even think Disney would still have that around Shocked

I've been meaning to do a check on what everyone is currently doing. I know Adam is currently going through parent issues with a different Disney hero as Simba on Broadway Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum