Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin rumored to open on Broadway next year!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin rumored to open on Broadway next year!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustinm3
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Not posting this on the blog yet as the source is only a few people on the Broadway World message board. They're saying that Aladdin will open Spring 2014 on Broadway but there will be an out of town preview run later this year.

This isn't unusual for Broadway shows (Beauty, TLK and Mermaid all had a short preview run before coming to Broadway), but is a little surprising given Aladdin already had a pilot production in Seattle (Newsies went straight from pilot production to Broadway), plus the regional and international productions last year. Guess they're making pretty substantial changes to the show if they few a preview run is needed to further test/refine the show before opening on Broadway!

Chris, have they said where this out of town preview will be? Please say Honolulu Smile
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish! Nothing has been posted by anyone.

Kinda hoping we hear something official soon, the rumour's out there now. Disney all but confirmed it when they confirmed Mary Poppins was closing. As soon as anything is rumoured or confirmed I'll post it here.
dustinm3
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aladdin Gang,

Per Ricky Brigante on his recent Inside the Magic podcast, the Aladdin show coming to Broadway (in the former space of Mary Poppins) is "99.9% confirmed".

Here's the podcast: http://www.insidethemagic.net/podcasts/406/.

Still holding out hope they don't touch AAMS at DCA!!!
dustinm3
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustinm3 wrote:
Hi Aladdin Gang,

Per Ricky Brigante on his recent Inside the Magic podcast, the Aladdin show coming to Broadway (in the former space of Mary Poppins) is "99.9% confirmed".

Here's the podcast: http://www.insidethemagic.net/podcasts/406/.

Still holding out hope they don't touch AAMS at DCA!!!

I should mention, it's about 27 minutes into the podcast where he discusses this.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what's actually a thing!

http://www.aladdinbroadway.com/

I'm still incredulous. Laughing
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official!!!!

A whole new world in a whole new way - Aladdin: Broadway's New Musical Fantasy!

http://www.aladdinbroadway.com/

So happy right now!!!

Edit - Bit more information now I've calmed down and actually looked at the news sites. Broadway is confirmed for Spring 2014 at the New Amsterdam Theatre.

And if you can't wait - Toronto's Mirvish Theatre is hosting the preview run later this year! Nov 13th through to Jan 12th

Casting and ticket info to be released later. Seattle creative team is back plus some new additions.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still cannot even process this is really happening omfg Laughing

Meet you all there in a year! Laughing Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much fun would it be if we all went together and grabbed lunch or something? Razz
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for that!

Already begged Jane (didn't take much, just the words "New York" really) so finances allowing we'll be going next year. Means no holiday this year but totally worth it!

I'm aiming to go so we're there for the official opening so we can watch the red carpet stuff (sadly I'm pretty sure tickets aren't sold to the public for opening night). Would probably go to see the show on the last preview and the first show after the official opening.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm spoiled to live in Eastern Pennsylvania, so distance is not much of a problem in this case! Very Happy
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So stoked! Must convince DW to go to NYC now..... Smile
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh I'm so tempted to use my living expenses money to go and see this Laughing Who do you think they're going to cast? I just saw Les Mis a few weeks ago and I was thinking the whole time that Samantha Barks ( Eponine ) would make a brilliant Jasmine.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The husband and I are very, very excited about this - we're off to NYC next year to see it Smile Considering we live in Australia, it's going to be a huge trip! He has always wanted to go to NYC and said we would if Aladdin came to Broadway... so we're off!

Saving already - as soon as tickets are announced we're buying and booking the trip in.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Barks... I remember her from way back when she first appeared on I'd Do Anything and they renamed the Isle of Man for a week to Isle of Sam to support her. She was amazing back then. I was lucky enough to see her live in the Les Mis 25th Concert and I couldn't believe how much she'd improved. Whilst I'm still holding out for Courtney Reed coming back, I agree that Sam would be a great Jasmine.

And on the subject of casting... Playbill have posted the Equity audition notices for principals, chorus (singers) and chorus (dancers). Auditions are next month in New York with rehearsals to start "Fall 2013".

The character descriptions are almost identical to the 2011 notices that went out for the pilot production, except they now include a vocal description.

Most interesting is that Jafar, Iago and Kassim are missing which implies they've already been cast.

It's pretty natural to assume that Jonathan Freeman will be returning as Jafar (honestly I'd be disappointed if he didn't), but what about Iago and Kassim?

Personally I want Don Darryl Rivera and Brandon O'Neill as they originated the roles in Seattle, but if that was the case then how come the rest of the original cast have to re-audition? Until anything is confirmed (and I can't even find a rumour on this) I'm going to keep championing DDR, Brandon and the rest of the original cast.

But if they have already re-cast the roles, who do you think they might have gone to? The only name that comes to my mind is Gilbert Gottfried for Iago and I can't come up with anyone for Kassim.

Let the speculation commence!
dustinm3
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think they'll have Abu in the Broadway show? Really miss that furry guy in the DCA show! (was Abu in the Seattle, et al show?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum