Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin rumored to open on Broadway next year!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin rumored to open on Broadway next year!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Abu will be in it. In Seattle and the regional productions his role was filled by Aladdin's 3 friends (Babkak, Omar and Kassim). Apparently there have been substantial re-writes but the casting notices still include the trio so I don't think they've added Abu back in.

Sorry Sad
dustinm3
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu4per9TbQ1qe6dql.gif
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Sam Barks... I remember her from way back when she first appeared on I'd Do Anything and they renamed the Isle of Man for a week to Isle of Sam to support her. She was amazing back then. I was lucky enough to see her live in the Les Mis 25th Concert and I couldn't believe how much she'd improved. Whilst I'm still holding out for Courtney Reed coming back, I agree that Sam would be a great Jasmine.

And on the subject of casting... Playbill have posted the Equity audition notices for principals, chorus (singers) and chorus (dancers). Auditions are next month in New York with rehearsals to start "Fall 2013".

The character descriptions are almost identical to the 2011 notices that went out for the pilot production, except they now include a vocal description.

Most interesting is that Jafar, Iago and Kassim are missing which implies they've already been cast.

It's pretty natural to assume that Jonathan Freeman will be returning as Jafar (honestly I'd be disappointed if he didn't), but what about Iago and Kassim?

Personally I want Don Darryl Rivera and Brandon O'Neill as they originated the roles in Seattle, but if that was the case then how come the rest of the original cast have to re-audition? Until anything is confirmed (and I can't even find a rumour on this) I'm going to keep championing DDR, Brandon and the rest of the original cast.

But if they have already re-cast the roles, who do you think they might have gone to? The only name that comes to my mind is Gilbert Gottfried for Iago and I can't come up with anyone for Kassim.

Let the speculation commence!

Wow! That's awesome that you got to see her live! I also hope that Courtney Reed comes back of course, but if she doesn't, Sam Barks would probably be my next choice.

In fact, I agree, it'd be awesome if the original cast came back on board. I can't really think of anyone else off the top of my head better suited to the roles, though Ramin Karimloo would probably be an awesome Aladdin if Adam Jacobs doesn't return.
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Ramin will be playing Aladdin but if you want to see him live AND see the first preview showing of Aladdin then head to Toronto in November. Ramin is playing Valjean in the Mirvish's production of Les Mis which runs Oct/Nov then Aladdin premieres mid November.

I can't find the exact dates for Les Mis but I wouldn't expect a big break so you should be able to see one of the last Les Mis and first Aladdins in a week holiday.

I've never seen Ramin as JVJ (missed him in London) but I've heard some audio on YouTube and seen him in Phantom and Love Never Dies so I know you'd be in for a treat seeing him live!
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! I'll have to see if I could get up there--that'd be fantastic to see both. I thought he was great in Les Mis 25 and Phantom 25.
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ramin is awesome Very Happy

And now some Aladdin news!!

More chorus auditions later this month/next month in LA, Orlando, Chicago and Toronto. Looks like Disney are casting a pretty wide net for this one.

The Mirvish have launched their own website; http://www.mirvish.com/shows/aladdin

Which includes a new poster;

A new banner;

And a new description;

Quote:
"In an exotic, faraway land, one man’s life is about to change with the lucky rub of an ancient lamp—and you’re invited to join the magic carpet ride.

Welcome to ALADDIN, Disney’s new Broadway-bound musical, adapted from the hit film and featuring some of the best-loved music by Academy® and Tony Award®-winning composer Alan Menken and lyricists Howard Ashman, Tim Rice and Chad Beguelin, with a book by Beguelin.

Brought to you by the producer of Toronto’s record-breaking hits The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, ALADDIN will be directed and choreographed by Tony® -winner Casey Nicholaw (The Book of Mormon) and will feature the award-winning and acclaimed design team of Bob Crowley (sets), Gregg Barnes (costumes) and Natasha Katz (lights), with illusions by Jim Steinmeyer.

With its timeless story, extravagant sets and costumes and a host of memorable characters and songs, ALADDIN will transport you to a place you only know in your dreams. Go ahead, make a wish. And discover a whole new world, in a whole new way… at ALADDIN."

Individual tickets aren't on sale yet but season subscriptions are now on sale!

Playbill have also posted a new interview with Alan Menken where he talks a bit about Aladdin;
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/174980-Junior-Theater-Festival-2013-Alan-Menken-Reveals-Aladdin-Broadway-Details-and-Talks-About-the-Power-of-Newsies-Fans

The most intriguing part is where he says that he and Chad have done 3 new songs for the show - a song for Genie (presumably Somebody's Got Your Back), a duet for Aladdin and Jasmine (A Million Miles Away) and a song for Jafar (??).

Is this the first hint we have at a new song for this production? And what does it mean for the Menken/Rice song Why Me? Is this an addition or a replacement? We'll probably have to wait until November to find out!

Plus it's great to hear Alan Menken call the 2011 pilot of Aladdin one of the highlights of his life (especially when you think about everything he has achieved in his life)!
dustinm3
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the scoops! Wasn't there a Jafar song originally planned for the movie? I thought I recalled hearing of that in the extras, etc. ...
lisa jane
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Jafar song originally planned, but I think it was considered too dark by Disney to be in the movie.
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see this?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/32f9ea8f7321aa3f0244d0c8dcab1d00/tumblr_mjpzn95rlU1qc3sdbo1_500.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/c6943b2a2ab72d392e34f8c7155214e3/tumblr_mjpzn95rlU1qc3sdbo2_1280.png

Could this be a hint to who might be cast?
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, I hope we hear a cast list soon. Adam being there is promising.
Crazy for Al
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if John Tartaglia will be involved with this? I was just wondering since he was the Genie in St. Louis, and he's my favorite Broadway actor. Smile
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy for Al - It's possible, but if any of the previous casts are to be used then my money would be on the Seattle cast as they are the originals and Disney and Director Casey Nicholaw were both involved in the casting.

Dustin - There was a "new" Jafar song in the original version of the show ("Why Me" which you probably saw on the DVD and if you do a YouTube search you can find Jonathan Freeman and Don Darryl Rivera doing it for 5th Avenue's preview night event as well). But in that interview it sounds like Chad is saying there's a completely new song for him (instead of or as well as is yet to be revealed)

Princess of Agrabah - I caught Adam's tweet but missed Liana Hunt's. I'm still hoping they bring back Adam and Courtney for this, but Liana's tweet is definitely interesting, thanks for sharing Very Happy

And speaking of sharing... Tickets for the Mirvish preview run are now on sale!!!

https://web2.ticketking.com/Aladdin_Adv/Online/default.asp

(You'll have to copy and paste the link, https makes my post vanish but http won't load the page)

General sale isn't until June 9th so this is the time to grab the best seats! I've created a new post as well so this goes on the main page.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New trailer;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabaVIjCpJw

Courtney Reed took part in a concert for Howard Ashman last night (apparently some of the cut Aladdin songs were sung as well). Nice to see the original Aladdin cast are still involved in some way. Just keeping my fingers crossed for the casting announcement!
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway previews begin 26th February 2014, opening night expected to be 20th March. Group tickets (15 or more) now on sale. Standard tickets on sale in Fall.

New logo;

And I can't post the video to the blog, but do a YouTube search for D23 Broadway and Beyond Aladdin and you should be able to find video of "Somebody's Got Your Back" from the Broadway and Beyond evening at the D23 expo from a few weeks ago. They mix the parts up a bit but it's still a good preview for the show.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News seems to be coming in faster now!

According to the press release for Siegel's Broadway Ballyhoo (which he stars in tonight), the original stage Aladdin, Adam Jacobs, will once again be playing the title character when the show comes to Broadway next year!

"including the star in the title role of the new Disney musical Aladdin, coming to Broadway in the Spring, Adam Jacobs (The Lion King, Les Miserables, etc.)"

http://www.siegelpresents.com/the-broadway-ballyhoo

Really hope this is true and can't see any reason to doubt it, hope more of the Seattle cast come back with him Very Happy

Official cast announcement can't be far away now! If true this is the second time news of Adam's casting has been revealed slightly ahead of the main announcement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum