Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Full Cast Announced for Aladdin on Broadway
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full Cast Announced for Aladdin on Broadway
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it!!!!! Here comes the rambling...

Sadly, Adam Jacobs didn't play Aladdin when I went (last week, I know I'm a week late). The understudy was fine and was very kind afterwards, but you could definitely tell he was an understudy, which was disappointing.

WOW - It is a stunning show, especially visually. The sets, the outfits, the effects, just WOW

I also didn't expect to love Babkak, Omar, and Cassim like I did!! They are funny and likeable!!

They did some updating to Jasmine and Aladdin's character - some I liked, some I didn't care for. I like the updated Sultan - less bumbling fool, as well as Jasmine's maidservants.

Jonathan Freeman was amazing. He doesn't look the part at all, but (obviously) HE SOUNDS AMAZING. Iago was very funny too.

Genie was PHENOMENAL - I always get kind of annoyed when the only thing people remember from Aladdin was the Genie, and I was a bit annoyed that the Genie was the center of all the advertisements... But after watching it, I totally get it. He really steals the show.

Not sure what else to say that you care about. I don't want to ramble more and sound like I'm rubbing it in.
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like you're rubbing it in, I'm glad you got to go see it!

What sort of updates did they do to the characters? I did see a version of the show via bootleg (the pre-Broadway Toronto run), but I'm interested to see what they kept from that as it relates to characterization.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't tell if it was the writing or the actor (understudy), but Aladdin didn't seem quite as cocky or cunning, which kind of irked me a bit, because I think the movie's balance between Aladdin's "bad boy self" was what really makes his "good boy self" so touching. They also really ran with the "Proud of Your Boy" theme; he had this running devotion to a promise he had made his mother about bettering himself. I didn't mind it, although, to me, it seemed a little bit thrown in. I think the song is powerful enough without a backstory.

Jasmine was a bit more spunky and even funny at times. She took some really good (funny) jabs at Aladdin and took a little extra time warming up to him. They were really trying to emphasize that she believed men and women should be equals, but I think they could have been benefited from a little more subtlety with that at times.

Genie was, I'm just gonna say it/don't hate me, blacker/sassier - which I think really worked, given that Iglehart just exudes character. Because he doesn't do any shape-shifting, his humor had to rely on quickness and cleverness, rather than goofiness and pop culture cameos. (Both Genies are relevant to their respective forums, and I appreciate them both about equally.)

The Sultan was a competent, upstanding, and intelligent character who was a bit more conscientious of his daughter's needs. He seemed to make more of an effort to be a father than the movie's Sultan, and I reeeeeally liked that.

They also revived Babkak, Omar, and Cassim (who I LOVED), and Jasmine had three maidservants as well, who supported her rebellious nature.
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I couldn't tell if it was the writing or the actor (understudy), but Aladdin didn't seem quite as cocky or cunning, which kind of irked me a bit, because I think the movie's balance between Aladdin's "bad boy self" was what really makes his "good boy self" so touching.

That's something I noticed in watching the Toronto version. Again, something may have changed, but I feel like there was definitely an aspect of Aladdin that changed. More of being someone that was just basically a lazy slacker instead of someone more hard-up and survivalist? I have to watch the version I saw again (maybe I'm too tired for this right now? Laughing) because I definitely remember thinking that Aladdin's motivations and how I saw him were quite different on stage than in the film.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember if that's in the Seattle version or not, but I feel like I would have remembered something off like that. Maybe I just chalked it up to the trio and the fact stage!Aladdin has more people in his life (three bros is quite different to having a monkey you consider a friend) + plus the strong undercurrents of his mother being a theme now when they were more or less absent before in movie!Aladdin after initially having them in, as we all know. It would, in some ways, change his character because now he has less of a reason to put on that mask of toughness to play himself up as bad boy because there are people who sympathize with him and his situation. Literally no one bothered with movie!Aladdin, so who exactly would this version be trying to fool here outside of the guards, you know? Movie!Aladdin is the result of having to keep that up all the time, but I imagine this one gets to relax a little more. He's still clever, but he has people looking out for him in a way, so the overt cunning from the movie where he was looking out for himself and Abu would soften a little, too. Basically he has people to play off and "be himself" around now, so while he still has to survive on his own, it's easier doing so in a group of people you consider blood brothers.

And the lazy thing honestly sounds like it's closer to not just the first drafts of the film that included the trio, but also the original story itself. Story Aladdin was lazy because he had nothing to aim for (his father died praying his son would stop being so lazy to which all he had to say to that was "yolo" Laughing) versus movie Aladdin who had motivations that were more "they'll find out there's so much more to me" than stage!Aladdin who has "I'll finally make you proud of your boy". Again, adding figures in to his life before you get to Jasmine and Genie is going to rearrange his bucket list and how eager he is to getting around doing it, which for a guy that doesn't have a lot going on comes off a lazy perhaps. The trio understands his situation and that's a comfort, but Genie is gonna be the friend that actually makes him get his life together and thus keep the promise to his mother, which all cross sections at Jasmine. I imagine it's a similar parallel with her, too, having sort of friends in her life via her maids whereas movie Jasmine didn't really feel like she had any real friends, but they cut Call Me A Princess and I obvs have no idea how the new song works there. I remember finding the scene where they were scheming about what to do with the suitors really important insight, though, especially because Jasmine is the only female in the movie already, so giving her more to talk to here is certainly going to change her character since they got rid of Rajah, as well (hence Jasmine's more spunky, social behavior versus movie Jasmine's more sly yet reserved attitude despite both being still relatively alone and having to comb through all these losers Laughing).
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely a great point about him having people and that shifting his perspective. Thinking about it again, I guess it's more like that feeling where you know you have to do something, something really important, but you just kinda never get around to it for a hundred reasons, from self-esteem to not knowing how to fear to whatever. But having his interraction with Prince whatever they changed his name to, meeting Jasmine and Genie, and general circumstance finally got him to say enough and start doing what he had to do.

As for Jasmine, she totally has a very important woman in her life and don't you dare forget about her. It's Aladdin's Mom! (or her sister or botched clone or something)

Laughing

Seriously, though, I did like that Jasmine had her maids in the show. Not only for interractions with her, but also because it gave more of a sense that there were people in that palace besides Sultan, Jasmine, Jafar, Iago, and misc guards. It gave a stronger sense of life to the place, and I appreciate that.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anisa, apparently her nanny or something.

http://putlocker.is/watch-disney-princess-enchanted-tales-follow-your-dreams-online-free-putlocker.html

at about 34:40
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, her!

I'd click that link, but I don't dare expose myself to that terrible thing again. Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not missing much.

Although I was asked to verify if I was a "boy or a girl"... Razz Laughing
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with what you guys were saying about the whole loss of some of his cockiness thing. I kind of did get that impression from the previews too, but I think it still worked? And I love JMI so much just...

I really really need to get to NY and see it. By the way, have you seen this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4ywFXJ9Lj0s

They're so cute I can't Laughing And that's legit my rationale for why I like Prince Eric. He looks like Aladdin ( or is it the other way around? ) sooo...

Also new video from Broadway.com with Courtney:

http://www.broadway.com/videos/155616/watch-courtney-reed-transform-into-aladdins-jasmine-the-disney-princess-of-her-childhood-dreams/#play
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see this so so so SO bad!! I have a big crush on Adam Jacobs, and I love his rendition of "Proud of Your Boy". It's just beautiful. Courtney Reed also is amazing, and James Monroe Iglehart is just fantastic!! I could not have imagined a better cast for this show than this!
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been able to interview Adam Jacobs again for the blog Very Happy

I'm totally on cloud nine right now. This has been in the works for a while but it's finally come through (big thanks to Adam & Disney Theatrical for that).

I've not even had chance to post it yet (should be up tomorrow evening, I just wanted you all to be the first to know.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, yeah, I remember that from...what, last year? Camels are slow over there at Disney Laughing

Can't wait to read it! I miss those interviews.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it started last year, then we agreed to put it on hold until the show opened (think some of the questions may have been more detailed than expected even if they didn't have any real spoilers in them) then I left it until after the cast album came out before following up, so delay on both sides really Laughing

Anyway, they're back now! Starting with Aladdin himself;

http://aladdinmusical.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/proud-of-your-boy-interview-with-adam.html

Enjoy Very Happy
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky enough to be going again in a few weeks (and getting to see Hunchback as well which got some rave reviews when it was in San Diego so really excited for that). I'll let you all know how it compares to last time Very Happy

Can't believe the show is officially a year old next week!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum