Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Full Cast Announced for Aladdin on Broadway
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full Cast Announced for Aladdin on Broadway
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that the Aladdin cast always tells us "best wishes". I have a picture from Linda Larkin that says the same thing Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOMORROW AHHHHHHHH

I'M READY TO CRY AWKWARDLY Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited for you!!! Can't wait to hear about it Very Happy
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun! Take pictures (where you're allowed!)! Try not to blow your nose on a cast member's shirt if you get to meet someone! Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected I cried at everything and barely held it together for the stage door. I was such an emotional mess at everything I got a free vip picture of James Laughing . I'll do a review when I get back but omgggggg GO SEE IT.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesssssss I cried at everything too. You aren't alone. Looking forward to your thoughts Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arabian Nights started and I was like "this is it this how I die Crying or Very sad " Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you had a great time!

I haven't seen it yet, someone plan a trip to New York for me. Laughing
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So happy you enjoyed it Very Happy

Can't wait to hear all your thoughts!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole experience was incredible. Like I didn't think I could love this movie and cast anymore than I did. And you haven't lived until you hear Genie tell Aladdin ain't nobody got time for that Laughing
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He tricked the Genie!" Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
"He tricked the Genie!" Laughing

I'm terribly sad I didn't go last week since James said when Aladdin asked did he come from inside the lamp, he said "no, I'm straight outta Compton" Laughing

Well, I'm home and I have no idea how to do this review Laughing. Ask me things!
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the whole cast, or were there any understudies?

Was there anything that suprised you in how they changed the story for the stage?

Write a detailed thesis on the impact of Babkak/Omar/Kassim on Aladdin's personal development and how that would impact his relationship with Jasmine going forward? (Okay, I'm kidding. Kind of. I want a stupid fanon discussion, okay? Laughing)
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salukfan wrote:
Did you see the whole cast, or were there any understudies?

Omar was an understudy but he was delightful so it's fine Laughing. Everyone else was there!

Salukfan wrote:
Was there anything that surprised you in how they changed the story for the stage?

Not really cause us Aladdin nerds were already aware of most this "new" material just from knowing what the original cuts of the movie were like. The trio wasn't new, the undertones with the mother wasn't new, some of the songs/lyrics weren't even new (although some were and that was a very strange experience watching something about Aladdin and I didn't know the words Laughing). It actually follows the movie closer than I thought it was going to, which again is impressive given what they added. The only "new" section would be the dungeon scene that replaces Aladdin being drowned because there's a new rule that states princes can't be in the princess's personal chambers and obviously Aladdin breaks that. I think the Seattle show had more of the big story changes with the Arabian Night reprises and storytelling interjections than the final broadway cut. And anything else that seemed left field was really just a reference to the original story in the Arabian Nights like Jafar posing as Aladdin's uncle, so there was no part where I was like 'wtf is this'.

Salukfan wrote:
Write a detailed thesis on the impact of Babkak/Omar/Kassim on Aladdin's personal development and how that would impact his relationship with Jasmine going forward? (Okay, I'm kidding. Kind of. I want a stupid fanon discussion, okay? Laughing)

*SPOILERS FOR THE MUSICAL*

Babkak, Omar, and Kassim are basically Abu's personality split in to three and it took me a second to realize that. You have one who's always hungry, out for himself, trying to make a profit, but still lovable. You have one who's terrified of everything and tries to keep the peace to avoid fighting. And you have one who clashes with everyone now and then because he cares very much for his "blood brothers" and is fiercely loyal (until you make him mad, of course). But ultimately when it comes to Aladdin they get it together and that's the same story with Abu. So his presence is still there even if he's not physically there. It's just he can talk now in three different voices and tell Aladdin "istg you better not give away our food" instead of having to emote it Laughing.

Now that could be good or that could be bad depending on how you look at it because while they don't shift the dynamic drastically, if you were looking for more from the characters you might feel they were better left out the whole thing entirely cause they're not adding anything new either. Everything that happens to them happened to another character in the movie, so if anything they're keeping Aladdin's development (or lack thereof, rather) on track until he gets to Genie because at that point he takes over from there as the character Aladdin bounces ideas and thoughts off (and they actually can come in to reality).

As far as the impact of that on Aladdin's personal development, there's definitely a difference between all of that in a monkey that doesn't talk versus three men who can. Yes, Aladdin treated Abu as an equal and a person (most of the time, we're going to ignore series canon for a second Laughing), but he's still not that steady stream of human connection that's changed the way his character carries himself now that he has people who empathizes with him. I do still think Aladdin feels like he's the odd one out in the group (and clearly he is since he's the diamond in the rough), but not to the point where you feel like he's as alone as movie!Aladdin was. Plus, if I heard correctly, he lost his mother maybe a few months ago when this starts? So if those were his friends before, then he lost his mother, and then he started hanging out with them more since he has no one else there would definitely still be some settling in to find his place in the pack in a more full-time position (cause I feel like Kassim was more the 'leader' here than Aladdin) only for him to be like "I can't do this forever. There's gotta be more to life than this. I have to get it together for my mother". The guys wouldn't necessarily get that, so it opens the door for Genie and Jasmine to pick up that torch without stepping on their spot.

The musical also plays off something I didn't even think to think about in the movie where its established right before One Jump Ahead that people in Agrabah do legitimately know Aladdin ("getting in to trouble a little early today") and he utilizes that in the beginning with Jasmine in the marketplace to help him get her attention. So Aladdin's development becomes a group effort, which makes the moment when he has to let them all down weigh even heavier cause again there is no Abu or Carpet as a character here so the musical has to rely on everyone else. You have to feel Aladdin is not the same character we met in the beginning in a bad way and that's partially established through the guys who have known him a lot longer than anyone else on the cast (both in real time and in the story). If they're saying screw you, then you know he's in a rough position.

Going forward, the guys were given positions in the palace by the end of it, so he's actually going to have more of a support system there to help him figure things out when going through Jasmine/Sultan isn't an option. No, the trio have no idea what they're doing in terms of palace politics and it'll be a learning experience for all of them, but it's a different set-up from having Genie, Iago, Abu and Carpet follow and support Aladdin as he's getting ready for that sultan position versus everyone collectively going through that together. Again, he has people who empathizes. I think he and Jasmine would be fine simply because she has chambermaids that she's close to that are part of the equation now, too. It's not like she didn't have that before in the movie, in all likelihood she did and we just didn't see them, but she too was established without any friends for a reason. So she also has more of a support system in the palace now to help her figure things out when going through her father/the old ways or Aladdin isn't an option. You're looking at an Aladdin and Jasmine that have less of a reason to put on that "I CAN DO THIS ON MY OWN" role to prove themselves to everyone including each other (I feel like that theme is way more internalized in their characters here and not something we have to stress like in the movie) and are more likely to seek out help because they know they'll succeed better together in entering this ~whole new world~ Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great analysis of the characters and it makes me want to see the show more. I still can't get over the fact that so many of the elements of the Ashman treatment actually showed up in this (not as many as Seattle, sure, but the fact that Babkak/Omar/Kassim are canonized within the show is just incredible to me).

Oh, one more question for you! How much merchandise did you buy at the show? Everything? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum