Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Random thought I just had
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random thought I just had
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Random thought I just had Reply with quote

What would happen if after KOT, the Sultan died ( meaning obviously Aladdin becomes the Sultan ), and then Jasmine died but they didn't have any kids? Would he have to remarry by law because they wouldn't have a Sultan afterward or what?

This is such a horrible thought but I think it's because I just watched Evita oops Laughing
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. As Queen, Jasmine's purpose is to give Agrabah an heir(s). After that, the sad truth is she's not really needed. When people are like "Jasmine is so selfish for putting herself first over her country", I don't think they understand she wasn't just picking the next ruler of Agrabah or someone she wanted to be in love with, but someone that literally has political power over her for the rest of her life and will birth someone who will have the same (especially if it's a boy as that's what your aiming for). She's not Sultana, those are really rare, so she's basically here to support Aladdin as Sultan.

He'd be placed in the situation she was in during the movie if they didn't produce an heir because they'd need a legal child instead of a bastard one. I don't think Agrabah does the multiple wives thing either (not that Jasmine would let him Laughing), but he'd need another wife for a child and after that she, too, wouldn't be needed.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evita will do that stuff to you, man. Laughing

I can only imagine the crap Aladdin would get from some people if this entire situation happened. It does make me wonder what he'd do. I feel like Aladdin in a political marriage wouldn't go particularly well.
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Yes. As Queen, Jasmine's purpose is to give Agrabah an heir(s). After that, the sad truth is she's not really needed. When people are like "Jasmine is so selfish for putting herself first over her country", I don't think they understand she wasn't just picking the next ruler of Agrabah or someone she wanted to be in love with, but someone that literally has political power over her for the rest of her life and will birth someone who will have the same (especially if it's a boy as that's what your aiming for). She's not Sultana, those are really rare, so she's basically here to support Aladdin as Sultan.

This so much! That's a huge responsibility for a ( what, sixteen/fifteen? ) however year old to have. I think all things considered she handled it pretty well, much better than I would have at that age Laughing

That's what I figured would happen...and I seriously do wonder how he would handle that sort of situation too. I know he would feel a responsibility to Agrabah by that point, and to Jasmine, while at the same time not wanting to remarry for solely political reasons.

And people would give him so much crap about it, I totally agree. That's a horrible situation to be put in--so was Jasmine's.

Haha it does, I love that movie/musical. However painful it is.

Now I'm tempted to write a fic hmm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salukfan wrote:
I can only imagine the crap Aladdin would get from some people if this entire situation happened. It does make me wonder what he'd do. I feel like Aladdin in a political marriage wouldn't go particularly well.

Aladdin is going to be more stubborn about it than she was Laughing But I don't think he'd "love" another person after Jasmine, so the question I have becomes would he allow someone else to be in a political marriage with him to produce an heir knowing this person might love him back but he's always gonna be like "not Jasmine nope".

Also, given what we've seen in the series, Jasmine's family has managed to keep their blood line ruling since Agrabah's foundation. Jasmine dying without an heir would be a huge blow, so he might end up with a cousin of hers or something just to placate that problem, too.

Princess of Agrabah wrote:
This so much! That's a huge responsibility for a ( what, sixteen/fifteen? ) however year old to have. I think all things considered she handled it pretty well, much better than I would have at that age Laughing .

Yeah, she had to strike a really fine line between political appeases and personal happiness, because she's not in a "two equally ruling parties" situation. I mean, I'm sure she and Aladdin functioned that way despite the rules of it, but he technically didn't have to listen to her anymore. That's why she had to make sure she married someone who was able to run a country efficiently, wasn't going to steer it in a direction no one could do anything about, took care of their family as a loving and supporting father (cause I can't see Jasmine raising the child/children by herself unless the guy she picked ended up being a douche and she was protecting them for him), and if it's not too much to ask love her and respect her as a woman, a person, and a human being because no one wants to be in a loveless and powerless situation. Her engagement to Aladdin granted her an extension she didn't know she'd have with the marriage thing given he'd have no idea what he was doing and needed time to learn, but that's why the Sultan was like "you two dating and getting to know each other is fine and all buuuuuuuuut we need babies soooooo..." Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Sultan started dropping random hints to them about an heir before they decided to finally get married.

"Aladdin, my boy, you should have a drink of water! It's scorching out here!"
"Oh, thanks, Sultan!"
"You know what else you should have? Babies."
"Neutral"

Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, now that the Sultan abolished the "must marry royalty" rule, can Aladdin just marry anyone and continue on as normal?

Like, could he marry Sadira if he wanted to? I only suggest her because she's a woman he at least trusts and has a strong relationship with. If he has to get married, may as well marry a friend. Laughing

(Let's just go with the idea that her obsession is done permanently. Laughing )
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, yes. Politically, meh. A former street orphan marrying who knows what Sadira's status would be at that point given she's a witch, but we know she too was a street orphan and wouldn't really have anything bring to the marriage besides her ability to make a child would cause SO much drama from neighboring countries and rulers. They BARELY accepted Aladdin by himself when he was with Jasmine because of his background, but Sadira wouldn't care, though. Katy Perry is dedicating "Teenage Dream" to her somewhere Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna say - "This sounds like a SadiraxAladdin fanfic waiting to happen."
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picture Aladdin becoming desolate and spending his entire life searching for a way to bring her back, refusing to accept defeat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the cousin thing would make sense; I almost forgot about that--so that would really be horrible if that was the case. And even if she was decent, like you said that would definitely be a huge moral dilemma for him since it'd be a loveless marriage on his part.

I guess Sadira would be a possibility but that would totally set off everyone who hated him in the first place, wouldn't it? XD But at the same time I see how it could work because yes, he doesn't/wouldn't love her but assuming this is after her obsession dies down ( and didn't she and Jasmine eventually become friends at some point? I feel like she was at the wedding ), if he had to marry someone.

But again political suicide.

It could turn into some quest to find some artifact to bring her back from the dead.
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming one hell of a fanfic. I like it. Laughing

Seriously though, I can certainly see Aladdin not thinking in terms of political ramifications in his initial quest for a new bride and having to be jostled into it. Though the only one of the gang I could see making a speech to truly appeal to political savvy is Iago.

Because you just know this is going to bring up every person of tenuous royal connection who has some issue with Agrabah and/or Aladdin in general, plus those interested in power and money and whatever else. All the villains would get in on this too, probably.
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Isn't Iago off treasure hunting with Cassim? Though I'd come back for this too.

Ooh that's right, it would! I need to rewatch the series before anything gets written, but you could throw in Phasir ( Fasir? ) randomly, even though really he's not a villain I guess, and Al asking him if there was any way to bring her back.

Mozenrath trying to make some deal with him...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I picture Aladdin becoming desolate and spending his entire life searching for a way to bring her back, refusing to accept defeat.

There has to be an angsty scene where he manages to make a connection to the afterlife and Jasmine tells him to stop trying to bring her back before the obsession causes him to waste the life he should be living Crying or Very sad

And yeah, with Jasmine gone all the rational thinking in this group is gone cause we have a bunch of bleeding hearts. Iago would absolutely have to come back and be the brain here - my God Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess of Agrabah wrote:
Laughing Isn't Iago off treasure hunting with Cassim? Though I'd come back for this too.

The pair of them would be make for some interesting advisors to Aladdin here, though I don't know how open Aladdin would be to some of Cassim's advice. I'd imagine them both coming back as soon as they heard, plus with Aladdin in charge, Cassim's probably going to get a pardon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum