Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Random thought I just had
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random thought I just had
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Meesh wrote:
I picture Aladdin becoming desolate and spending his entire life searching for a way to bring her back, refusing to accept defeat.

There has to be an angsty scene where he manages to make a connection to the afterlife and Jasmine tells him to stop trying to bring her back before the obsession causes him to waste the life he should be living Crying or Very sad

And yeah, with Jasmine gone all the rational thinking in this group is gone cause we have a bunch of bleeding hearts. Iago would absolutely have to come back and be the brain here - my God Laughing

Yes! Because that's true she was legit the one with her head on straight now that I think about it Laughing I mean Genie has his moments sometimes but let's be real.

That conversation with Cassim could be really loaded because even though it was different ( and Aladdin would definitely point that out ), he lost his wife too if we're assuming his story is the truth--either way he technically is a widower.
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genie is great at bringing the voice of reason, but he usually waits until everything is really FUBAR.

It would probably become one of those series-esque moments of humility that always comes back to "I have to do what's best for Agrabah."

But there's no way I'm believing that Aladdin just *accepts* that Jasmine is permanently gone. I mean, there were a couple of times in the series where he looked ready to accept it ("The Spice is Right," "The Ethereal"), but there was always a catch that brought her back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true.

I don't think he'd readily accept it either--I mean, he would probably keep trying to find a way to bring her back however necessary, but what I'm wondering, assuming there was no way, is how long he could stave off neighboring kingdoms/bureaucrats/everyone who has some political stake in this?
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate thought: It's occurring to me that what happens depends HOW Jasmine dies.

If it's sickness, I feel like Aladdin will grieve heavily but accept the finality of it because he has likely already scoured the Seven Deserts to learn that there is no cure (or he arrives with it but too late). Although his moving on might take longer because he might blame himself for failing to save her (he has never failed until now OUCH), or for spending her last days out searching instead of by her side.

If it's magic, he might be compelled to find a magical way to reverse her death, which is likely to become an unhealthy obsession that either ends in ruin for Agrabah or somebody bringing him back to reality. (or maybe he finds it, you never know!)

If it's murder, he might feel the need to avenge her. This again could end in an unhealthy obsession leading to Agrabah's ruin. BUT IF NOT, then it could lead to a bittersweet goodbye, like a "this was for you; I will always love you" moment. And either she'll come back (Swan Princess I or III style), or he will use the moment to move on and do what's best for Agrabah.

(The long-suppressed fanfic-er in me coming out a little ) Razz
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess of Agrabah wrote:
Yes! Because that's true she was legit the one with her head on straight now that I think about it Laughing I mean Genie has his moments sometimes but let's be real.

That conversation with Cassim could be really loaded because even though it was different ( and Aladdin would definitely point that out ), he lost his wife too if we're assuming his story is the truth--either way he technically is a widower.

Aladdin has them, too, but it's usually for situations outside of himself. It's really easy to make a decision about something you're not really attached to Laughing. But for the most part I think Jasmine is the only one who can make the tough decisions when it's an absolute must because it's what's best for Agrabah regardless of how she feels about it. Aladdin is gonna take a little longer to get there after he's exhausted all his options because he has to remember they aren't a regular couple. They have bigger responsibilities besides to each other. She wouldn't have married him if she didn't think he could do it.

I think Genie is still pre-programmed to his former "don't get involved, don't meddle unless they make a wish" mindset, so "let's look at our options now that everything is hopeless" tends to be his M.O. Laughing

Oh God, Cassim trying to comfort Aladdin's lost. Y'all are hitting me with the feels in this thread Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Separate thought: It's occurring to me that what happens depends HOW Jasmine dies.

If it's sickness, I feel like Aladdin will grieve heavily but accept the finality of it because he has likely already scoured the Seven Deserts to learn that there is no cure (or he arrives with it but too late). Although his moving on might take longer because he might blame himself for failing to save her (he has never failed until now OUCH), or for spending her last days out searching instead of by her side.

If it's magic, he might be compelled to find a magical way to reverse her death, which is likely to become an unhealthy obsession that either ends in ruin for Agrabah or somebody bringing him back to reality. (or maybe he finds it, you never know!)

If it's murder, he might feel the need to avenge her. This again could end in an unhealthy obsession leading to Agrabah's ruin. BUT IF NOT, then it could lead to a bittersweet goodbye, like a "this was for you; I will always love you" moment. And either she'll come back (Swan Princess I or III style), or he will use the moment to move on and do what's best for Agrabah.

(The long-suppressed fanfic-er in me coming out a little ) Razz

If it's sickness or magic, I can see him looking for a cure or a way to reverse it, but if it starts to effect the city then someone will eventually step in and tell him this has to end because this isn't what Jasmine would have wanted. If someone murdered Jasmine, especially out of malice or political reasons, everyone is screwed Laughing. He will not rest until that person is dead. I don't even think there's gonna be a "no, killing you won't bring Jasmine back" moment, or him having a change of heart. He's gonna straight up murder them and sleep well that night. "But Aladdin, this is going to cause a war!" "whatevs" Laughing
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking sickness actually ( probably again because of the Evita Laughing ), and he would search the Seven Deserts for this cure, but if it was long and drawn out there could be this moment where Jasmine tries to make him promise not to do anything crazy to try to bring her back ( and obviously he doesn't listen and that's where our story begins ). But there'd be the opportunity for a feels-inducing angsty final conversation in that case.

Magic could be exciting too, and with magic involved considering how many times everyone's almost died, they could totally bring her back.

But the murder thing could be so intense because dark!Aladdin starting a war over Jasmine's death.

The only reason I'd want a third sequel ( and I say this tentatively because I don't think Disney could handle it nowadays ) is so that there are more Cassim/Aladdin moments. He might have gotten his closure but I didn't Laughing

How do you think this would go down if it was completely the other way around and Aladdin was the one who died and not Jasmine? I'm assuming she would be back to square one ( if there's no heir )--but would she rule until they got another Sultan?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like the weird thing about Agrabah is that there doesn't seem to be a replacement/second in line for anything, which is pretty reckless, and I don't think Rasoul takes her place as the Captain of the Guards so that the military is running the country either. She'd rule as Queen, but the pressure to find someone to rule and get an heir would be even greater than before because she'd have an even bigger target on her back.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there are more advisers and people running around off-screen, as it were. Theoretically the Sultan would still have advisers and whatnot, unless he just said "to hell with it" after the Jafar mess. There's really a lot of interesting dynamics to explore there, as Aladdin deals with having staff and stuff. (So many fanfic ideas. Laughing)

Quote:
He's gonna straight up murder them and sleep well that night. "But Aladdin, this is going to cause a war!" "whatevs

Pretty much. He already (accidentally) rage-killed Arbitus for just kidnapping her, if someone kills her... ohhhh man. Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always felt that Jasmine was always a bit disenchanted with the pomp and circumstance of royalty and the expectations that she must continue the bloodline blah blah blah, and I feel like her subjects love her enough and trust her to make decisions that befit Agrabah's well-being.

It's the other Seven Desert lands that would target Agrabah for having a young unmarried woman as their ruler. In which case, she would likely make some kind of politlcal/military ally/agreement with lands she knows she can trust (like Odiferous, maybe Getzistan).

In my mind, Jasmine would focus her energy on making the city a better place in honor of Aladdin's memory. Like building and funding orphanages and schools and helping the economy. And less time finding someone to procreate with.

As far as remarrying goes, I picture her just being like "Been there, F that noise" and adopting an orphan and raising him by her side to be a worthy heir. Or if not adopting, having a next-of-kin child as her ward with the intention of raising him up to rule.

---

Cute the MosenrathxJasmine fanfiction

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I always felt that Jasmine was always a bit disenchanted with the pomp and circumstance of royalty and the expectations that she must continue the bloodline blah blah blah, and I feel like her subjects love her enough and trust her to make decisions that befit Agrabah's well-being.

It's the other Seven Desert lands that would target Agrabah for having a young unmarried woman as their ruler. In which case, she would likely make some kind of politlcal/military ally/agreement with lands she knows she can trust (like Odiferous, maybe Getzistan).

In my mind, Jasmine would focus her energy on making the city a better place in honor of Aladdin's memory. Like building and funding orphanages and schools and helping the economy. And less time finding someone to procreate with.

As far as remarrying goes, I picture her just being like "Been there, F that noise" and adopting an orphan and raising him by her side to be a worthy heir. Or if not adopting, having a next-of-kin child as her ward with the intention of raising him up to rule.

---

Cute the MosenrathxJasmine fanfiction

Plus couldn't she change the law(s) a la Sultan the first movie so no one would be in this position again? Like decreeing that regardless of whether the Sultan's child is a boy or girl, they're in line for the throne, no marriage required?

I agree that Jasmine herself wouldn't care, it's just rival kingdoms they'd have issues with. Does Agrabah have like nobles/advisors in court or is that more traditionally European monarchy? Because if they did I could see her having to deal with their crap too.

I'm actually super curious about how Agrabah's government would have worked, because the whole Grand Vizier thing makes me think of the Ottoman Empire, but I don't really know?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess of Agrabah wrote:
Plus couldn't she change the law(s) a la Sultan the first movie so no one would be in this position again? Like decreeing that regardless of whether the Sultan's child is a boy or girl, they're in line for the throne, no marriage required?

I agree that Jasmine herself wouldn't care, it's just rival kingdoms they'd have issues with. Does Agrabah have like nobles/advisors in court or is that more traditionally European monarchy? Because if they did I could see her having to deal with their crap too.

I'm actually super curious about how Agrabah's government would have worked, because the whole Grand Vizier thing makes me think of the Ottoman Empire, but I don't really know?

That's easier said than done. The Aladdin-verse is pretty modern and Americanized in its thinking. I can buy Sultan just kind of throwing out rules as a man, but Jasmine saying screw it requires more ignoring of things like sexism, for example, that she would be living in. These guys aren't going to easily allow a woman to do whatever she pleases, especially on this subject, because it would be giving other women in royal families ideas to want the same, start protesting against the laws, start rebellions, etc. This means power is taken away from the men, they lose prestige and influence, this could effect agreements with other countries who don't like their policies, this could trickle down to the people if they get a certain product from them, etc. It's a domino effect, one I'm sure she wouldn't care she started, but that's her being far more feminist than possible at the time Laughing

Sultan would have to have advisors, but after Jafar it seems like he just kind of listened to Rasoul and people he trusted that had been in the palace/working with the family for a while.
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. I mean realistically there's no way that would fly, and I would expect her to get a lot of backlash if she went that route, even with alliances she might have made with other kingdoms.

How big would Rasoul/the military's role be normally anyway? I know Rasoul was loyal to their family 100% even though he and Al didn't get along to say the least XD, but that's one ally she'd have--though how much he could actually do, I'm not really sure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd be under her command, but it's not like military leaders haven't overthrown the government regardless of their ties to the leader before. He wouldn't be doing so out of malice or greed, but I'm 100% sure if Aladdin was screwing up Rasoul would stage a coup Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow if Rasoul tried to stage a coup I can imagine the only reaction being mild irritation, given the level of guards the city has. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum