Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Actor Robin Williams Is Dead at 63
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Actor Robin Williams Is Dead at 63
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://d23.com/remembering-robin-williams/

A tribute article from D23 on Robin's passing, and includes words from Genie's lead animator, Eric Goldberg and composer Alan Menken.

Quote:
“I am beyond devastated,” Eric Goldberg, supervising animator of Genie in Aladdin said. “I cannot express how influential and important Robin was, and will continue to be, to me and countless other animation artists. Robin gave those of us who worked on the Genie so much humor, inspiration, and just sheer delight, that we were always spoiled for choice whenever we came back from a recording session. Like the Genie, Robin’s immense talent could not be contained in the lamp. I think we all knew, as the world does now, if there was ever a person who was tailor-made for the medium of animation, it was Robin. We have lost not just a great voice, though. We have lost a warm, human, miraculous person whose numerous and amazing talents will continue to inspire people for generations upon generations.”

Quote:
“If I had only watched Robin Williams on the TV screen, in the movies or on stage, I would consider myself blessed for having simply experienced his brilliance, his joy, his humor and his heart,” composer Alan Menken says. “The fact that I had the honor of sharing the creative process with him is an honor and a privilege that I will cherish for the rest of my life.”

Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been too long since I posted here. I heard the news this morning and I've been kind of numb all day. I don't normally cry when a celebrity passes, I may mourn and offer my condolences but that's it. This feels different. Robin Williams touched my childhood, made me laugh and made me cry. His Genie is legendary but (as my parents are divorced) it was Mrs Doubtfire that truly touched my heart.

Like many of you, my social media is full of tributes, many of them stating "Genie, you're free." That may be true but all I can think is "Genie, I'm... I'm gonna miss you."
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tribute, this one from Jeffrey Katzenburg. I hesitated before putting this one here, considering the fact that Jeffery burned huge bridges with Robin that affected his portayal of Genie since the movie came out, but it's still important. Let's ignore the man being a bit of a twit, shall we? Laughing

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/onlocation/la-et-ct-jeffrey-katzenberg-robin-williams-aladdin-20140811-story.html

Quote:
"That moment in which he introduced himself to the audience was purely of his imagination," Katzenberg added. "For me, it was one of the most breathtaking, pure moments of creativity I think I have ever witnessed. Aladdin would not be the classic movie it is without his brilliance.”

AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeeeeeah, I saw that yesterday and had mixed feelings. Without him we wouldn't have Genie, but the rest of the story gets kind of muddied. I'm assuming we're past all that, though.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope that if there was any issue still there, it can be moved past now and instead lead to a celebration of all of Robin's work, including Genie.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mourning in style. I wore this to an interview today. I had a baby blue vest and blouse combo on, too, don't touch me Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cute as hell, I'd hire you. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured a charm bracelet would have been too much Laughing
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I want Genie earrings Very Happy

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/genius-robin-williams-aladdin?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=tumblr&mbid=social_tumblr

This brought up a really good point--what Robin did in Aladdin was groundbreaking, up until then humor in children's films was generally children's humor, but this is one of the few movies I enjoyed as a child and will still laugh at everything ( actually way more now that I get the jokes ). I mean I could watch it years later with my own kids and still enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember the day I caught "not that I wanna pick out curtains or anything" Laughing. And because of that being such a comedic role, it's timeless. No matter when you do an adaptation of this movie, whatever the current jokes are of the time whoever is playing the character is able appropriate them easily and it'll fit. It makes Genie's references in the moie less dated in the traditional sense and more a moment in time along side the ones that have come after it since the character shouldn't even technically know the stuff he does Laughing. It's really quite remarkable.
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

On the East Coast at least, there's a special exploring all the roles he did ( including Genie ), on ABC and I'm trying not to cry because I'm watching it with my family. Of course he's so funny that I'm laughing and crying during the different clips.
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore my genie socks, magic lamp bracelet and earrings, and blue headband to work today <3
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I still remember the day I caught "not that I wanna pick out curtains or anything" Laughing. And because of that being such a comedic role, it's timeless. No matter when you do an adaptation of this movie, whatever the current jokes are of the time whoever is playing the character is able appropriate them easily and it'll fit. It makes Genie's references in the moie less dated in the traditional sense and more a moment in time along side the ones that have come after it since the character shouldn't even technically know the stuff he does Laughing. It's really quite remarkable.

I just got "Wish for the Nile" this past year. Embarassed
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been ages since I've been on here, but I wanted to in order to pay my respects to Robin Williams. As much as the original Aladdin is great and all, I think my favorite moment with him as Genie has to be King of Thieves. So many lines were just absolutely hysterical. (Who could forget "Don't make me use the other end!") And what everyone was saying about his improv in his lines, all I could think of yesterday and today was when he made the comment (after Scott gave the line as Al with "How do I look?") "Like a vampire on a..." I wish I could remember the rest. He was so funny, and there will never be another like him. RIP, Robin Williams. You will be sorely missed.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a vampire on a day pass Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum