Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin and the King of Thieves Appreciation Thread!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin and the King of Thieves Appreciation Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great growth moment in KOT is Jasmine's reaction to Aladdin's lie. She does get a bit mad at first, but realizes very quickly that he had a good reason, it's not indicative of who he is, and immediately supports him. Quite a change from the Jasmine who immediately jumped down Aladdin's throat without even listening during ROJ.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I just started transcribing the DVD game and there's a gem in the introduction.

Quick, shut the door! No one but you is allowed into the secret room. It's nice, huh? [chuckle]

Now listen closely. Agrabah intelligence has pinpointed the whereabouts of eight of the Forty Thieves and we need your help to find them. Your mission: use your remote control to click on a location on the map. Once there, with your keen powers of observation find and click on the thief. You'll then return to the map, click on the next location, and continue your search. After you've collected all eight thieves, you'll get a rare peak into our top-secret files to find out just who these thieves really are. Ready? Hit the start button to begin. Be careful. And good luck!

I can only imagine the quality of Agrabah intelligence when it comes to policing thievery. Laughing
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a bunch of kids Hakim gives a sugar date to if they find something Laughing
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work is done and I've learned a TON about our canon from this experience. Because we're obviously taking this detailed and thoughtful featurette super seriously, right?

You'd think the King of Thieves would stop getting caught in the act. His magic act, of course! Super popular at birthday parties, Aladdin's dad wows the kids with his patented tricks and skillful disappearing acts, which come in handy on his other job, too.

Just wait until Iago finds out that he's going to be a magician's assistant at toddler parties and stuff. That'll be a fun conversation. Laughing

This genius decided it would be fun to pour vinegar into a beautiful antique oil lamp. Why? Because he was in the mood for a nice fresh salad. Some people.

Thief number 8 loves to laugh, enjoys beautiful sunsets, long walks on the oasis, and intimate conversations. Okay, so he rattles on a bit about his life of crime. But isn't he just so totally adorable?

This handsome Harry is known for stealing hearts. A real romantic, he makes the young girls swoon just strolling through the bazaar. Get too close and he might steal a kiss as well.

Lucky number 13 really takes the cake. I mean, he'll actually take your cake and decorate it like you couldn't imagine. A baker in his former life, he once made a cake shaped like a cobra. It even hissed.

Okay, if it's not officially fanon that he baked a birthday cake for Jafar I am disappointed in all of you. Laughing

An expert at stealing the ball and slide tackling, thief number 11's heart is on the soccer field, which he wouldn't mind stealing too if he could. Actually, he's quite a good player, but he's got to do something about those two left feet.

Thief number 20 loves cooking up trouble and he cooks up a mean barbeque too! His chili-cheese sauce is delish! Why, if he weren't so fond of thieving, he could start his own business.

Number 19 loves splitting hairs... on poodles, that is. Of course, you've gotta be pretty wealthy to afford his steep fee. Even so, some people think it's a real steal.

Thank you so much, people behind the KOT DVD. You may have ruined the cut of the film, but at least you gave us this wonderfully informative background information! Let's expand the game and include Sa'luk next time, yes? I want to know is crazay secrets. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This handsome Harry is known for stealing hearts. A real romantic, he makes the young girls swoon just strolling through the bazaar. Get too close and he might steal a kiss as well.

That is literally sexual harassment Laughing
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry? OMG Laughing

I definitely agree about Jasmine, that always struck me as a huge change from ROJ. They're all grown up <3.
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salukfan wrote:
Another great growth moment in KOT is Jasmine's reaction to Aladdin's lie. She does get a bit mad at first, but realizes very quickly that he had a good reason, it's not indicative of who he is, and immediately supports him. Quite a change from the Jasmine who immediately jumped down Aladdin's throat without even listening during ROJ.

That's always struck a chord with me too, especially compared to RoJ and some of her less flattering moments in the series.

But I also feel she handles Aladdin's lying pretty well in the first movie too. The first time she realized he lied (the end of A Whole New World), she is rightfully offended but brushes it off pretty quickly (with flirty humor). Then when she realizes the whole of the lie (when Jafar exposes him), her love for him is still clearly unaltered. "I'm sorry I lied to you abut being a prince." "I know why you did."

But if you mix that KoT moment with her "Out of Thin Air" scene, then yeah. Totally. Best wife ever. She reminds him of his inner worth and is even understanding that this is a trip he needs to take without her.
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to character growth, I want to mention Iago as well. He had some incredible growth over the course of the movies and series, probably the most of any character.

His choice to leave at the end of King of Thieves, to travel with a kindred spirit instead of stay around and live in the luxury he wanted for the whole of the series is a big transformation for him. I think it comes down to him finally finding a person he feels in belongs with, rather than being completely evil with Jafar or trying to be completely good with Aladdin and company. I'm sure Iago will complain about his random travelling in the desert, but I bet he and Cassim will have a lot of fun.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to share a couple little things from KOT just because today. I'm feeling rather nostalgic at the moment. Sorry if I'm posting too much! Laughing

This is one of my favorite little background things:

Look at that poor thief in the middle. He's not even that interested in what's going on. Reason? He's starving:

A failed wedding raid makes for a mighty hungry thief. Laughing
Crazy for Al
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love KoT. I think it may very well be my favorite Aladdin film (even though the original is good too.) The songs are great, the characters are just amazing, it's just very well done. (Yes, the quality of the animation is meh, but we can overlook that, right?
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salukfan wrote:
I think it comes down to him finally finding a person he feels in belongs with, rather than being completely evil with Jafar or trying to be completely good with Aladdin and company.

Also true! Do you think Iago and Cassim could be classified as anti-heroes?

(Also the links in your second post don't work, although I just copied and pasted the URL part)
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose Cassim and Iago are anti-heroes, though I think it's more that they're just sort of neutral and play the sides that they think need to be played. If I had to guess, Cassim plays a bit more to the good side and Iago a bit more to the bad side, but neither one of them moves far beyond the gray area.

Quote:
(Also the links in your second post don't work, although I just copied and pasted the URL part)

The pictures don't work? That's weird, I can see them just fine. Let me check it out.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them now Smile

Quote:
suppose Cassim and Iago are anti-heroes, though I think it's more that they're just sort of neutral and play the sides that they think need to be played. If I had to guess, Cassim plays a bit more to the good side and Iago a bit more to the bad side, but neither one of them moves far beyond the gray area.

That is my understanding of an anti-hero, somebody who lacks a clear sense of virtue but isn't evil. (I always think of Captain Jack Sparrow as the pinnacle.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably mention I've been editing the posts and changing the pictures to the right code Laughing it's [ i m g ] format, Samantha, not the < i m g> format. You don't need anything other than the URL address. If you highlight the pasted link in this box and then press the img button it'll add the code for you.

Last edited by AladdinsGenie on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
That is my understanding of an anti-hero, somebody who lacks a clear sense of virtue but isn't evil. (I always think of Captain Jack Sparrow as the pinnacle.)

I've always read them as someone who isn't trying to do good but ends up doing good anyway in the process of whatever goal they're trying to accomplish (usually self-motivated).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum