Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Series Questions
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Series Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Series Questions Reply with quote

Heyah, folks. I've got some questions about stuff from the Aladdin TV series and figured asking y'all would be easier than digging through a dozen fansites. (Though if you know of any fansites that might help, point me in the right direction, mmkay?) My questions are:

1) Mozenrath: I know all the basics about him, but what was he doing during the first Aladdin movie?

2) Destane: I need to know everything that is - and isn't - known about this guy. (Is there a site for this?)

3) What is the Crystal of Ix?
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, good questions! Very Happy

1. You've got some leeway here. He says in "Book of Khartoum" that he'd been looking for the book for seven years, so he had definitely started studying magic by that point. But if he knew Destane or was living with/working for Destane at that point they never say. You can do pretty much anything within reason. Wink

2. How I answer this question depends on how you answer this one: Have you seen "The Citadel"? Because it's the only episode in which Destane is mentioned at all, and they only talk about him for about 30 seconds. I keep meaning to write an essay about Destane; he's accumulated probably the highest fanon/screen time ratio of anyone in the series. Laughing

3. Er, it traps magic creatures. There's a bit of a conflict between how it's used in the two eps it's in. Apparently other magic users can then extract the magic from whatever's trapped in it. Basically, what do you already know so I know what gaps you need filled in? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Would it be reasonable to assume that he was still working with/under Destane during the first movie? And if so, how old would he be?

2. I have not seen "The Citadel." I have not seen anything. I am bliiiind!

3. I don't know anything about it except that Mozenrath once stuffed Genie in it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, I would say that that is the most likely thing. Smile

2. It's short; I'll just type up the whole scene. Laughing

The Citadel wrote:
Iago: Wait... The Land of the Black Sand?

Mozenrath: My kingdom!

Iago: Ah, tell me another one! Everyone knows the sorcerer Destane runs this joint! (to Aladdin) Destane's a real hard case. Even Jafar steered clear of 'im!

Mozenrath: Ah, Destane... He was like a father to me. Until I stole his power and his throne.

Iago: Sure you did.

Mozenrath: Then, I stole his humanity. (to mamluked!Destane) Hello, Destane, hello! You shambling, half-dead mamluk!

Iago: Turned him into a lowly servant, nice touch. This kid is twisted!

3. Twice, actually. The first was "The Secret of Dagger Rock", the second was "The Hunted", which I have a transcript of (it's near the end). I think the only thing they say about it in TSoDR that they don't in The Hunted is that you say "ixtala" to activate it (it sucks in any magic creatures nearby) and "ixtabor" (or "ixtavor", or something like that...) to release them. Genie could move and talk inside of it in The Hunted, but Mozenrath couldn't in "Dagger Rock". Er, anything else I'm missing? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions beget questions, yes? Smile

1. How old would Mozenrath have been in the first movie? And what is the most reasonable approximation of his relationship with Destane? (Apprentice, servant, pedophelic slavebitch?)

2. What does Destane look like? And how old was he? And was he just some magician, or did he actually do anything?

3. Does the Crystal of Ix let one channel a magical being's power, or convert it to something else, or what? And can only one person at a time use it? (Like, if Mozenrath locked someone in it, would Mozenrath be the only one who would release that person?)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. In the Citadel, Aladdin says Mozenrath is "barely older than me" and Moze doesn't correct him, so I'd say that's fairly accurate. Smile Most people have him 18-19ish if Aladdin is 17...

Most people have him as Destane's apprentice and often... the last thing you listed. Laughing But all we know for a fact is what I posted before, that Mozenrath says that he was "like a father" to him. He could be an apprentice, or adopted. He might not have been living with Destane at all and was like a father to him in some other way. He could have been some other relative, like an uncle or grandfather. And if we're pretty sure Mozenrath was learning magic back then we don't know that he learned it from Destane or with his permission (although I would say that is the most likely...). And there's a lot of argument over whether Destane had the gauntlet before Mozenrath did. Anyway, you have a lot of room to decide whatever you want. Wink

2. He looks like this as a mamluk (one on the left) :

Before that we don't know what he looked like. Jafar stayed away from him for some reason, but whether because he was more powerful or was creepy or had bad breath no one knows. Laughing He ruled the Land of the Black Sand and Mozenrath also stole "his power", but whether that means the gauntlet or something else is not clear. We don't know if he had mamluks or if the LotBS was anything at all like it is now in those days.

It's kind of frustrating that they give us just this little bit of information. It's worse than knowing nothing in a way. Laughing

3. Um, not sure whether the magic stays the same or is converted in some way... When Mozenrath was using Genie's power taken from the crystal it was still blue, as opposed to the gauntlet's which was red (in that ep anyway...). But then in the series there's this whole big thing that you can't mix different types of magic or you'll have major problems, so whether that means Genie's magic was close enough to Mozenrath's for him to use or whether the Crystal of Ix is a kind of universal adapter for magic I can't say. Laughing

And can only one person at a time use it? (Like, if Mozenrath locked someone in it, would Mozenrath be the only one who would release that person?)

The only person we see using the words to activate it and deactivate it is Mozenrath, but I don't know whether he's the only one who can or not. There might be some other kind of limitation. They were able to free Genie in "The Hunted" by breaking the crystal, though.

Can other people extract the magic from something someone else trapped in there, though? Well, in "The Hunted" Iago got close enough to the crystal and tried to use Genie's magic against Mozenrath, but he got zapped when he tried. Whether he was doing it the wrong way or he got too much magic too fast or whether it backfired on him because only Mozenrath can use it is not clear. (I know I keep saying that, but it's true. Laughing Most of the things having to do with Mozenrath are a mystery wrapped in an enigma.)
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good. Now I don't feel bad for not seeing the show - I could write all of this stuff and no one need know I've never watched an episode. Laughing Thanks a lot for all of the info, Calluna. I'll prolly ask more questions as they come to me; I'm considering using all of this stuff in a fic I'm writing, so problems will arise eventually. Laughing
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyApocalymon wrote:
Well, good. Now I don't feel bad for not seeing the show - I could write all of this stuff and no one need know I've never watched an episode.

Except everyone on the AC. Laughing

"When in doubt, post new topics" - Moi
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Except for all of you. Laughing (Shhh--don't tell!)

Actually, my fic won't be up for so long that I don't think it matters. I don't want to post it chapter-by-chapter, because...I dunno. I'm anal like that. Laughing So, everyone keep that under their hats till after I post it. Which should be...sometime before the second coming of Christ. Laughing
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
Most people have him as Destane's apprentice and often... the last thing you listed.

I read in one fanifc somewhere that he suggested that he was created from magic/a homoculus.

LadyApocalymon wrote:
Well, good. Now I don't feel bad for not seeing the show - I could write all of this stuff and no one need know I've never watched an episode.

Ah, don't feel bad. It's been a while since I was last in the Aladdin fandom.
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're over there writing seriesfic like crazy. That's quite encouraging. Smile
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right! I have to start writing my fic again! Laughing I would never post my fic before it's completed either. It's just... stressful then, i guess, cause everyone's waiting for the next chapter.

LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more worried about writing myself into a corner...but I'm so slow that it doesn't really matter. (Seriously - my average speed so far is a chapter a month. Maybe I can write chapter four in half a month...Nah. Laughing)
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyApocalymon wrote:
And you're over there writing seriesfic like crazy. That's quite encouraging. Smile

Yeah, but the muse fairy hasn't been around and I got school.

But I will write it. Even if blood was coming out of my eyes.
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyApocalymon wrote:
I'm more worried about writing myself into a corner...but I'm so slow that it doesn't really matter. (Seriously - my average speed so far is a chapter a month. Maybe I can write chapter four in half a month...Nah. Laughing)

Better than my speed, i barely write a half-page chapter a month. I can't put stuff down on paper very well. Unless it's art. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum