Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - R.I.P. Brian Bedford, voice of Robin Hood
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R.I.P. Brian Bedford, voice of Robin Hood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. Brian Bedford, voice of Robin Hood Reply with quote

Sad news, Brian Bedford, voice of Robin Hood from Disney's version of the story has passed away. I don't know what the cause of death was. I wasn't even sure if he was still alive. I hear that Robin has been highly requested for Disney Infinity too. Wonder who they are going to get to replace him if they decide to put him in the game. Currently watching the 1973 classic in his memory. This was a favorite of mine during my childhood, and I rediscovered it a few months back. So much fun to watch. The archery tournament was the best part of the film. XP
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news. Robin Hood is my favorite of the older/classics.
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just hasn't been a good month for celebrity deaths in general.
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
This just hasn't been a good month for celebrity deaths in general.

You can say that again. First it was David Bowie, and then after Bedford, Alan Rickman (Hans Gruber in Die Hard) died from cancer too. And just yesterday Dan Haggerty died of cancer too! What gives??
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I not hear about this? Robin Hood is probably one of my favourites of the classic, older Disney movies. The archery scene is hilarious. *Fondly remembers the little turtle saying, "Go Dad!" as his father puts his head into his shell.* May Mr. Bedford rest in peace. Crying or Very sad

Another famous person to die recently of cancer was Celine Dion's husband, Rene Angelil. Also, I just read online that her brother just died of cancer too (he isn't as famous as her, but still), a mere few days after her husband. Jeez, that poor woman.

Also, I still can't get over the fact that both Ziggy Stardust and Snape are dead, both from cancer and at the age of 69.

On the bright side though, I'm actually quite surprised that the character Robin Hood was desired for Disney Infinity since it's an older Disney character. Not many people I know even have any recollection of Disney making a Robin Hood movie. And maybe the voice could be by Frank Welker or Jim Cummings. As far as I'm concerned, those guys could voice every cartoon character. Laughing
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin Hood is my fifth favorite Disney movie. I remember watching it a lot when I was a kid. In a way, Robin Hood always reminded me of Aladdin.

I wish people didn't have to die. :/
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aladdin's characterization definitely has shades of Robin Hood (more so the actual legendary character than the Disney character) such as stealing from the rich (or in Return of Jafar's case, Abis Mal's gang) in order to give to the poor, or having an ambiguous moral compass as a good guy/outlaw.

And yeah, that would be nice if people didn't have to die.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also both have that cute, playful, sometimes mischievous nature, look out for those less fortunate than themselves, and they both manage to steal the hearts of women with higher status. :3

Characters are a big thing for me, more important than the story. If I don't like the characters, I'm probably not going to like the movie that much no matter how great the story is. On the flip side, even if the story is just okay, the characters alone could make me love the movie (hence my second favorite Disney movie "Treasure Planet"). Robin Hood is an awesome character which is why I liked the movie so much as a kid and now as an adult, too.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, yes. Aladdin and Robin Hood's ability to woo the upper class woman with their adorable charm. If only guys in real life were like that Very Happy

I agree that characters are a major thing to get right in a story or a movie. If you have an unlikeable character (and not a deliberately unliked one, like a villain or anti-hero kind of character), the story arc just won't be as engaging, in my opinion.

I haven't seen Treasure Planet in forever. I thought it was ok when it came out, but maybe now that I'm older, I'll have a different take.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treasure Planet doesn't have the best direction or execution, but I love Jim and Silver a lot. It's also beautifully animated. I love the whole steampunk setting for the film. It makes for a very visually appealing film. The music is also great. I just wish the story and the humor were better. It comes off as weird most of the time and painfully not funny. The emotional moments are great, but having to sit through the silliness to get to them can be grating.

If it weren't for Jim and Silver, I probably wouldn't care much for it at all, but they make the film for me!
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a lot of people were somewhat disappointed when Treasure Planet was released, but I agree that the animation is beautiful. I also thought that the setting was really unique and out-of-the-box for a Disney movie. It's great that Ron and John are willing to go against the grain on their projects, but the story line, like you said, was meh.

I have the Game Boy Treasure Planet game, but I'm so terrible that I can't get past the level when Jim has to get his board from the authorities. Poor Dr. Doppler. He's been waiting for me at the ship all of this time. Embarassed
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little young at the time it came out, so I don't remember how people reacted to it. I knew that the good moments in the film were really good, but the bad moments were really bad. But yeah, if you haven't seen it in awhile, it's certainly worth another watch! You just have to accept the corny and silly stuff. :b

I didn't know there was a Game Boy game!
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty young too when it came out way back when in 2002, but I do recall people thinking it was an ok-ish movie. Definitely nothing in comparison to the early Disney Renaissance movies, but still alright. Maybe once I get through these next few weeks of school until Reading Week (a week long study break), I can reward myself with watching some Disney movies.

And yeah, the game was for Game Boy Advance. I also had a Tarzan game for GBA as well, but I never knew what to do, so I just pressed the button to get him to yell all of the time. Very Happy Fun times...
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fez_Head wrote:
I remember a lot of people were somewhat disappointed when Treasure Planet was released, but I agree that the animation is beautiful. I also thought that the setting was really unique and out-of-the-box for a Disney movie. It's great that Ron and John are willing to go against the grain on their projects, but the story line, like you said, was meh.

I have the Game Boy Treasure Planet game, but I'm so terrible that I can't get past the level when Jim has to get his board from the authorities. Poor Dr. Doppler. He's been waiting for me at the ship all of this time. Embarassed

Dr. Doppler? That's the name of the villain in Megaman X3. O_O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum