Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Disney's Aladdin In theaters May 24th, 2019
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disney's Aladdin In theaters May 24th, 2019
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Disney's Aladdin In theaters May 24th, 2019 Reply with quote

Catch the teaser trailer on the official Aladdin twitter now!

https://twitter.com/disneyaladdin/status/1050563653785640962

Last edited by AladdinsGenie on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I really wish I could say this cinematography looks good. But it just...I don't know. It doesn't look like a movie to me. It looks like something a really good YouTuber could make.

Argh, okay, okay, I need to not be so critical. Maybe another trailer will look better.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With seven more months to go, it's entirely possible they haven't finished the CGI/textures/effects. We were just discussing last month how odd it was there were no teasers out, so I think this was more to just establish the atmosphere and scale of the world.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of it.

The CG work will definitely improve as this feels more like a mood setter than anything else. They did the same for Beauty and the Beast and, re-watching that trailer now, I don't think much of it was in the final movie. In fact it might all have just been for the trailer.

I love that it opened with the caravan camels roaming. I'm delighted that Iago is finally confirmed (even if we don't know if he'll talk or not since Hakim appears to be taking his place as Jafar's right hand man).

The Cave of Wonders looks more like a lion than a tiger, I think it's the mane effect that the growing out of the mountainside look gives it. Looks good though, and the classic voice was a really nice touch. Ashamed to admit I didn't notice that at first since I'm so used to Brandon's voice in the stage show (though in my defense it was 3am so I was tired Razz )

Interesting that Jafar isn't in disguise and (what I'm presuming to be) the palace guards are with them at the Cave. Interested in seeing the changes they've made. TBH I'd rather they do make changes rather than doing a straight remake. A direct adaptation would never stand up to the original, so they need to be faithful but also offer something new and it looks like they're doing that.

Definitely excited to see more.
Mena looks good. Yes, I wish he was shirtless, but I get that this is more practical for live action plus it can be seen as a nice nod to his look in the parks.
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a mood setter, it was definitely a good one. Only after my Latin class I could calm down and not about to blow up from excitement. XD

I doubt we would get same Iago though, he looked more like just a common parrot, while Hakim would be Jafar's right hand, but we will see)

Ah, so I was right that the CoW was indeed from the original movie. Wasn't sure in it at first.

It was indeed strange, that Jafar was not in disguise, but maybe this change will be explained well enough. I'm honestly want to see how they change the story and the spin they will take on it. Love the original to bits, but I don't want this new one to just copy-paste it.

I hope the first trailers will come out soon that would tell us a bit about the story as well. Sure this got me in the mood, but I still have doubts and a little fear that it won1t be good (eben though I'm already planning to see it within first days of premier, no matter what) but I hope I will be prove wrong and they make a new lovable movie for Aladdin. And if not, we still have the original, right? Wink

Fingers crossed this will just get better!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh found a comment on reddit from someone who saw an early version of the film and Iago was just a very, very smart bird who couldn't talk-talk like he does in the animated version. That could have changed, but I doubt it because there's no getting around how intrinsically linked Iago and Gilbert Gottfried are. It might have taken everyone out of the mood they're setting with the film if you hear his voice come out of a real parrot.

Someone also pointed out that scene we saw with Jafar at the Cave of Wonders very well could have been Gazeem/whoever they have going in as a test dummy being shoved towards the cave because it crumbles on his head as soon as he's in there. It didn't occur to me that might not be Aladdin since the next scenes are leading up to Aladdin taking the lamp, so Jafar might still be in disguise when it's time for him to take Aladdin there.
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you say that, it could be a possibility, just how it was represented I immediately thought it was Aladdin already (and probably most of us). Though it makes me wonder just how much power Jafar had in the Palace then if he has henchmen at the Cave.

it makes me wonder though what will be the changes, for example how will the cave be handled. Without Abu, would Aladdin be the one triggering the collapsing?

I know I gotta be patient, but I just want to see more of it. Like this trailer gave me the feel of a bit more serious movie, but knowing the base of the movie plus that it's going to be a musical...I'm just unsure how it would be really.

Anyone knows where is the remaning of the sands of time? Or should I just go and get a TARDIS?
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot when you can hypnotize people Laughing But there being a link between the guards and Jafar was implied in the movie when they were under orders to arrest Aladdin, so we'll see how deep that connection runs eventually.

It would be funny if he grabs the lamp and on the way out is like "maybe I'll take just one souvenir since nothing bad has happened yet..." and then sets off the complete meltdown of the cave Laughing. Or maybe him interacting with Carpet sets it off because you'd think it would have in the original, but apparently he was off limits from the "nothing but the lamp" clause.

I think they're waiting to let us know the kind of humor once they properly introduce Will Smith's Genie in the next teaser/trailer.

The 13th Doctor is currently trying to get her own TARDIS back, so you'll have to wait in line Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, wonder if that will be a bit more explored. I know it's not that important, but hey, little details never hurts. Wink

"oh shiny!" Laughing Seriously though I can only see Carpet triggering it, because if Aladdin will be the one taking the treasure...yeah, it would be a bit weird. Like okay, it's closer to the original story and would make sense considering hat aladdin is a street rat, but it might make him unlikable a bit, depending on how they will handle that.

Bit worried about the humor and Genie. Hope they will find the fitting humor and make a nice balance between Genie's comedic and caring side in the movie.

I should have 'borrowed' it when he was only the 11th Doctor. First female Doctor and already lost the TARDIS. *shakes her head* poor Sexy, she lost her thief Laughing
Guess I will have to find the sands of time then. Hopefully Genie didn't lose it.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, or he accidentally steps on a stray coin on the ground or something depending on how moody the cave is feeling that day. "Oh, come ON" Laughing. This does make me pumped for how the escape scene is going to look, though. I gotta see this movie in 3-D.

I have faith in Will Smith's ability to do that 100% as I've grown up with his work, but it really depends on if Ritchie and company managed to write that in.

Speaking of Genie, a lot of people are upset they didn't get any images of him, and I was talking to Salukfan this morning about how funny it is that this is literally the marketing campaign Robin wanted initially for the movie Laughing. Focus on Aladdin, not Genie.

Well, more like it disintegrated after a critical failure while the console room was exploding due to all the regeneration energy in the room, but spoilers dear Wink
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just you. I will definitely watch it in 3-D. Just hope I will be able to watch it both in English and Hungarian. Gonna be a bit rough as it willl be during exams -_-

I have seen some of Will’s movies and even though I’m still not too sure about him, I give him a fair chance and want to see his take on Genie. Hopefully the director and the team also know Genie isn’t just about comedy.

Shame Robin could never see that. I think he would be happy to see Disney learning from that and not doing same mistake again. Better late than never I suppose.

Oh I know what happened to the TARDIS, but good reference there Wink.I honestly haven’t watched the new episode yet, bit afraid how it is after hearing the rumors

Bit annoying though how many people say ‘it won’t be the same without Robin’ . Like, come on, we know it won’t be exactly the same as the original, neither Genie will be exactly like Robin, but doesn’t mean it can’t be good. It will be just different and hopefully it will find its own identity and will be good on its own as well. If not, we still have the original to enjoy.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might pop over to Disney World for this one and watch it at the theater there. I wanna be around people who I know won't be annoying during the screening Laughing

What rumors? It's pretty good. Nerd boys are crying, but no one cares about nerd boys Laughing

It's been weird for me as an Aladdin fan to hear that only because Dan Castellaneta has been Genie longer than Robin has (and I think a new person voices him now?) , so I'm already use to Robin not being around.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, closest Disney World to me is the French one and I doubt I could just do a trip to Paris during exams XD. I just hope people won’t look at me weirdly when I go and watch it.

Actually good? Huh, that’s nice to hear. Think I’m gonna watch it then rhis weekend.

I guess it’s mostly because most people mainly know the movie, where Robin was voicing Genie. Personally I was mostly used to the Hungarian dub before starting to speak English like 80% of my time. Dan was alright, though I’m not too fond of how the series made him stupid at times.

I think his current voice actor is Jim Meskimen. Heard him in some games. He’s fine in my opinion, just give him good material to work with.
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Iago that doesn't talk makes me a little sad. Still, I'm glad they got him in there. But hearing Gilbert back would have been amazing.

I guess it could have been Gazeem (or some other random) entering the cave but the trailer really sold it as Aladdin. The distant shot could definitely have been Gazeem, but the guard is still there in the close up as he enters. It's so shadowy it could be someone else, but it certainly looks like/was implied to be Aladdin. Of course it could have been shot just for the trailer as well.

Without Abu I'm guessing they'll handle the forbidden treasure/cave collapsing like they do on stage, where Aladdin tries to take something as a gift for Jasmine. Or maybe it was Gazeem entering the cave and that's why Abu wasn't on his shoulder. Still keeping my fingers crossed that the furry little thief is in there somewhere.

I'm glad they focused more on Aladdin for this teaser. It's his movie. Plenty of time for Genie later. And yeah, Will Smith will do a good job. They were always going to go for a big name with Genie (especially with unknowns as Aladdin and Jasmine, which I'm really glad they did) and Will can hit all the bases - acting, singing, dancing, comedy. As long as they've given him the freedom to do his thing rather than mimic Robin (which they say they have) then he'll be fine.

On that note though, I truly believe if Robin was still with us Disney would have done everything they could to get him back for this. Whether or not he would have we'll never know, but they definitely would have wanted it.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very glad you guys are all in love with this movie so far! I still think it looks like a TV show, maybe a Netflix movie at best, and not something prepared for the silver screen, but I'm sure I'll still end up loving it to death.

I do think the colors are gorgeously vibrant. Doesn't the original movie have one of the most colorful "movie barcodes"? I wonder if this incarnation's barcode will be just as colorful. ^^

https://www.redbubble.com/people/moviebarcode/works/7198561-moviebarcode-aladdin-1992
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum