Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Random Question, But...
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random Question, But...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fez_Head: that sounds great. I look forward to hearing your response.
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sinister Cutlass. I spoke to my prof about our situation today and she said that although it would be better to use your full name so it adds credibility to my article, a false name could work too, just as long as I mention that this name has been changed. Is this ok with you?
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fez_Head: sure. Here's a false name for me: Adiel Bembridge.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. And I like the name. It's fancy. Very Happy
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fez_Head: Great Smile Do we all get to read your report later? Wink
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...well...uh... *hops on Carpet* "Carpet, let's move!"

I'm just kidding (although I would like to fly on Carpet, but that's a whole other conversation itself Very Happy ). I would love to have you guys read my article, but I don't know how I will be able to upload it onto this message board since it will be written in a Word Document. I also don't have any social media accounts (yeah, I'm weird, I know). The assignment won't be complete for another few weeks, but when it's all done, I will find a way to have everyone read it, even if I have to type it all out here.

It's funny because you aren't the only one who wants to read it. I emailed a PhD researcher who is studying this topic for his thesis and he also asked me if he could read it when it was complete. Totally no pressure to make this a freaking awesome assignment at all. Wink
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fez_Head, how's the research paper coming? Got any new responses?
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am so so so sorry for totally going MIA these past few weeks. I had a ton of assignments and essays to write (the joys of being an English major) and it's now exam time.

I sent my article to my professor a few days ago on the last day of classes and hopefully she likes it. I'll admit, it was pretty stressful to write (I'm a bit of a perfectionist), but I can always copy and paste it onto this forum so everyone can read it. Would that be ok with everyone? For Meesh and imekitty who let me use their full names in the paper, is it ok if I retain your real names when I post it to this forum?

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with the article. I am so thankful for it.
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you copy and paste it into this forum, that's just fine with me Smile
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was going to do, but I just wanted to make sure that before I did, I got imekitty's and Meesh's permission to use their full real name on this forum, if that's ok with you. I think they will be, but I just want to make sure since I didn't use a pseudonym for them like I did for you, Sinister Cutlass.
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I was just registering my approval, since you asked.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Very Happy

I sent a private message to both Meesh and imekitty about putting the document on this forum with the use of their real names, so I hope they read it and send me an answer. If they don't, I could always change it from their real names to their Aladdin Central usernames. I'm sure that they wouldn't mind that.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's the moment all (ok, only like a few of you, but whatever) have been waiting for. My Disney feature article! Very Happy

I would just like to say that it hasn't been marked by my professor yet, but here it is, regardless. I hope you all like it and major shout outs go to Meesh, imekitty, and Sinister Cutlass for allowing me to use them as interviewed sources. I know I've said it a million times already, but a million and one times can't hurt: THANK YOU! Very Happy You three, as well as my other sources I used, are amazing!

Also, in my article, I used a photo of Keith Lapinig with the caption - A True “Disneyphile”: YouTube Disney vlogger, Keith Lapinig, wears a personalized button he made at Disneyland, in California.

Well, without further ado, here it is!
___

Move over kids; Disney has a new (and older) group of fans

Picture this. A young man in his mid-20’s with a bright smile on his face takes a vlog during his time in Disneyland, the first theme park created by the Walt Disney Company on July 17, 1955. He speaks to the camera about Disney-related trivia and hides a personalized button adorned with Disney characters in an anonymous location within the park, sending a challenge to his various followers on Twitter and YouTube to find the button and if so, keep it as a gift from him. If this individual sounds about as fanciful as Disney’s very own Mickey Mouse, think again.

This young man is Keith Lapinig, an Interactive Design Manager at the Walt Disney Company since 2012 and employee in other sectors since 2006. He is only one of many young adults between the ages of 20 and 29 to demonstrate their admiration for the Walt Disney Company, an entertainment conglomerate often regarded as specializing in “children’s entertainment.” But what is it about this company that this age demographic continues to enjoy?
The Walt Disney Company, currently a multi-billion dollar enterprise and member of the prestigious Fortune 500 list, was originally a small animation group created by brothers Walter and Roy Disney on October 16, 1923. After leaving their hometown of Chicago, Illinois for the state of California earlier that year, the brothers began their lifelong dream of creating animated entertainment for all age groups to enjoy. Their successful cartoon shorts, featuring the loveable Mickey Mouse, paved the company’s way for the creation of full-length animated films, beginning with the release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937. Throughout its decades long career, the Walt Disney Company has continued its success even after the deaths of both brothers, constructing seven theme parks and resorts around the world and innovating and utilising new technologies to aid in their visual storytelling.

With its successes, the Walt Disney Company remains a prominent company which strives to make quality entertainment for all of its viewers. Yet, as this rising demographic of older-aged Disney fans demonstrate, such a viewer can come in any shape, size, or even age. “The amount of synergy and sense of family in the Walt Disney Company is what I love the most about the company,” Lapinig explains in an email interview. “As a child, I definitely did not sense any of that since my focus was always just the animated films.”

Disney animated films and the nostalgia they bring to the older viewer is one of the main reasons many young adults continue to enjoy Disney. In an email interview with James Mason, a Masters student at the University of Leeds who is currently researching the relationship between adult audiences and Disney films, Mason explains, “Nostalgia is important – Disney has been around for decades, so adult audiences like to revisit the films of their youth, and to pass them on to younger generations.” But reclaiming one’s youth through nostalgic memories of childhood is not the only reason these older viewers continue to admire the Walt Disney Company.

For young adults like Kayla Nymeyer, a 27-year-old Disney enthusiast whose list of favourite movies includes the 1992 Disney animated classic, Aladdin, it is the company’s innovative, visual storytelling which intrigues her the most.

“A huge part of why I like the Walt Disney Company,” Nymeyer explains, “is that I am a traditional animation enthusiast, and no one does traditional animation better than Disney.” This unique animation style, a trademark of the Walt Disney brand, not only serves as a fascinating construct for these older Disney fans, but also as an inspiration for their own artistic ability.

*Adiel Bembridge, a 26-year-old ardent admirer of the various animated features produced by the Walt Disney Company, explains that the company has had a profound effect on her and her art, shaping her into the young woman she is today.

“Disney animation has always had a commitment to nurturing the technical competence of their animators, and nearly always has put forth sincere efforts at delivering ever more mind-blowing quality in visual splendour,” Bembridge explains. “I have always loved this aspect of Disney animation because my favourite activity to do as a child was to draw. Disney animation was an important source of my creative “mother’s milk.” Nowadays, I focus much more on the stories and scripts that Disney has to offer in their animated features.”

But is nostalgia and analyzing art the only way these young, childless adults demonstrate their love for Disney? Certainly not.

From discussing Disney-related content through social media networks to Disneybounding, a concept of wearing outfits inspired by a Disney character’s design, these Disney-loving, childless adults find new and exciting ways to demonstrate their Disney side. In addition, this particular demographic even makes up one third of the guest population at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

Yet, despite all of this out-pouring of admiration, is the Walt Disney Company truly aware of this ever-growing demographic of fans? To many Disneyphiles, an affectionate, self-proclaimed nickname for adults who are “obsessed” with all things Disney, the answer is a rather positive one. “I think the Walt Disney Company is aware, to an extent,” Michelle Saddic, a 25-year-old Disney fan explains. “The company is still making sequels of some movies Generation X grew up with, especially Pixar with Toy Story, as well as Broadway musicals for The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin.”

Keith Lapinig is also quite content with the Walt Disney Company’s awareness of this particular age group of fans, especially with its creation of the adult fan club, D23, in 2009. “The Walt Disney Company has definitely always known about their wide range of fans,” Lapinig explains. “It allows them to create a variety of products and opportunities for their guests. For example, the creation of D23. If [the company] believed only children loved their brand, they wouldn’t have art galleries in their theme parks.”

Walt Disney is a name that has touched the hearts of millions of people around the globe, both children and adults. With the Walt Disney Company’s mass appeal for all different age groups, who is to say that an adult can’t pretend to be a princess for the day or sing along with the heartfelt lyrics of the company’s theme song, “When You Wish Upon a Star” from the 1940 animated classic, Pinocchio?

After all, Walt Disney himself once said: “You’re dead if you only aim for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.”

*Name has been changed
Sinister Cutlass
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article is great! It sounds very professional Smile

Was there any interesting feedback you got from your class or your teacher/adviser?
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks so much. I didn't think it was that professional sounding to be honest (I've never really done true journalism writing before this course), but I'm really glad you like it. Very Happy

I didn't get any really interesting feedback from my editing group partners (it was mostly grammatical edits), but two of my classmates thought it was a rather interesting idea for a feature article. And no, my prof hasn't provided me with any feedback or a final grade yet. So, fingers crossed. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum