Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - TLK Trilogy
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TLK Trilogy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
The 2 Aladdin discs are the same apart from the "PG" and "G" logos.

Hold the phone...what movie is rated PG over there? *takes a mental guess*

Quote:
The image on the right is the one of Aladdin and Jasmine in their wedding outfits with Iago holding up the ring on a pillow

I've never seen that image. Ring as in wedding ring? Shocked Can you scan that disc?
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol oops! That was a mistake! The film is a "U" over here.

Yeah wedding ring! Never saw one in the film, but since when has that stopped marketing Wink

I can't scan anything here at uni as my scanner is at home. I'm going home at the weekend so I'll scan the back video cover and bring it back to uni with me on tuesday (think the video version had Genie and Abu there too but I can't remember).
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a U rated equivalent? Like a G?

This ring I have to see! I wonder if Aladdin bought the ring himself...or Abu stole it Laughing
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, "U" is the UK version of America's "G" (though the UK discs have the Irish "G" rating on them as well [at least I think it's the Irish rating], 2 big ugly logos on each disc).

Lol I think maybe Abu might have had a hand in this, but don't tell Jasmine Wink
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this online. It's not from the UK box art (the Genie and background were different. But it is this Al, Jas and Iago on the DVD like I mentioned, but the image is flipped so it's the other way around).

http://www.geocities.com/aladdin_it/Al_scanned9.jpg
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Abu stole that. He has it left over from all the jewlery he wore during the "One Jump Ahead" sequence Laughing
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yeah that or he took some of the loot from Abis Mal's place before Al could "redistribute the wealth" in RoJ! Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That reminds me of the little bit from the Tales From Agrabah book when Aladdin was younger:

Rahim nodded politely. "And where do you hail from?"
"From..." Aladdin hesitated. "From higher elevation north of town." It was true, in a way. The abandoned rooftop where he lived was in the northern section of the marketplace.
"I see you share my taste in finery," Rahim said, pointing to Aladdin's new turban. "You must be an apprentice to a businessman, I'm guessing? Perhaps a trader? A mechant, like myself?"
"In a way," Aladdin said. "I...uh, I'm in the food relocation business." Also technically true, although mostly he relocated food from merchants' stalls to his own stomach.
Laughing
Jas
Cool Colonel

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That's hilarious.
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!! I've never read that! Might have to see if I can track down a copy on ebay.

Guess that's one more thing of the ever growing list of stuff to get after I get a proper job after my holiday.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great. It tells story from Aladdin and Jasmine when they were toddlers, kids, teenagers and then when they met in the movie. It's really cute Very Happy
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, that's cool...I have to admit, after all the stuff I've seen, I think that Aladdin merchandise and media has stretched farther than anything else Disney has produced besides Pixar productions and TLK (yuck.)

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at the time (96/97) Aladdin was the only Disney classic film to have 2 sequels and (I think) the longest running cartoon out of any based on the classic movies. Feel free to correct me on that.

As for TLK I've always been of the opinion it's success is largely due to the fact that it followed Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. TLM revived Disney and Beauty and Aladdin built on that. TLK, whilst a good movie, doesn't capture the same magic or spirit that they do.

Even TLK's soundtrack (which is great) doesn't stand up to the soundtracks of those 3 films (or even Menken's later films IMO).

I'll never forget the channel 4 show "100 greatest cartoons" that aired over here a while ago. No idea who voted as the results were terrible (there is no way Daffy Duck should ever beat Mickey Mouse!). But they did have Roy Disney commenting on some of the Disney entries. When they came to TLK (the highest of all Disney entries at #7, with the exception of Pixar's Toy Story 1+2 at #4) Roy basically said he liked it and it was a good film but "how did it do this well?", he said he couldn't understand why that film (which you could tell by his reaction he didn't like as much as the earlier, lower rated classics) got more votes than the rest. I thought that summed it up nicely - good film, but very over rated.

Aladdin came in at #17
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm a blecher of TLK....smack me if you wish... Rolling Eyes Very Happy

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great film for what it is, but it doesn't strike any personal chords with me like Aladdin does. I know a lot of people loved it because the Gulf War had ended not too long ago and quite a few people just lost their fathers, so seeing Simba lose his gave them a more personal connection to the film and seeing how he deals with it.

At age 4 or so, my mother's father was killed by a drunk driver while he was walking across the street in broad daylight, so she relates to this movie and Mufasa's death scene more than I do for that element. She loves it and has the gift set, but she will not watch that scene. She gets up and goes to do something else because it's too much for her to watch.

Personally, the music and animation is great and Timon rocks my world. My favorite part ever is when he is dressing in drag and doing the hula Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum