Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Feelings on Aladdin/Jasmine pairing
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feelings on Aladdin/Jasmine pairing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinJasmine4ever
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Feelings on Aladdin/Jasmine pairing Reply with quote

I loved watching this pairing meet/fall in love in the first movie. It painted Aladdin and Jasmine as a savvy/clever/sarcastic couple that enjoyed banter. They truly connected on their similarities. Soulmates from different worlds.

The animated series/Return of Jafar was commissioned by Tad Stones. He was very inspired, seeing the potential in developing Iago's character. Tad Stones went a little overzealous because ROJ was just a film to transition Iago. I think Jafar's story could have ended in the lamp. Having his motive be vengeance was a little redundant. Also, it was brought to my attention the other day that Jasmine/Aladdin in ROJ was somewhat a plot device for Iago to do something nice for the pair.

I really wanted to see another Aladdin/Jasmine epic whirlwind romance in the sequel. They barely had any screen time.

Then I hoped to see episodes focusing on Aladdin and Jasmine's love life. They have plenty of plots like this in similar shows. Danny Phantom, Kim Possible, etc. I never really saw the sarcastic Jasmine in the animated series. If anything, I felt the animated series didn't develop her well enough. She and Aladdin clashed constantly and the connection seemed to dull or they were missing sparks. As a shipper... it's very disappointing.

I felt the same in the final installment. For a wedding being a major plot. I WISH we'd had seem more romance, more play, more banter, more connecting. The most touching scene was when Aladdin refused to leave Jasmine... but the way he looked back at the palace, then back at his dad... made me think he was conflicted? Undecided? Considering abandoning Jasmine. I also wasn't sure this was from his heart and not just a convenient time to tell his dad off... in a self-righteous way. Justified but self-righteous.

I really only watch Aladdin for the romance... so maybe that's why I have been so disappointed. The crazy strong connection they shared in the first movie was never recaptured.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tv series takes place over roughly five years. By then they've grown a lot more comfortable with themselves as individuals and with each other as a couple. So what you see as a dull connection is perhaps just an ease that comes with being with someone for so long that you don't feel the need to perpetually recapture those lightning-in-a-bottle moments that brought you together as if it doesn't get any better than that and there's nothing else to explore. They were pretty young when they met, too, so naturally I'd expect their feelings to develop and mature.

I actually enjoyed that they fought and had disagreements (even petty and childish ones!) and were unsure what the other person even saw in them at times because moments like that fleshes out their relationship in a way no other Disney couple, save for maybe Rapunzel and Eugene/Flynn with their new tv series, has. Plus, they're both incredibly strong willed and stubborn so they were bound to have that passion and forthrightness spill over in a different way. I probably would have grown sick of them if it was always pure romance and witty banter between them because that feels more like an idealistic depiction of a couple when a major reason I love them is their realism. They feel like people I would know even with the strange circumstances bringing them together in the first place.

I also think the series focused more on how they work together as a team rather than as a couple since that was going to be a major feature in their eventual ruling of Agrabah. Aladdin knew absolutely nothing about how his royal duties work when Jasmine did, and Jasmine needed to connect with and know her people in a way that Aladdin was already familiar with. They had to prioritize that duty over their relationship, and while they did juggle both during the series in between fighting monsters and whatever threats were thrown their way, I think once they were married and had an idea of how this arrangement was going to work, they could go back to fully exploring their relationship along side a very important aspect of why they're even together right now (hence why Iago left with Cassim cause he wasn't gonna be able to stomach that Laughing)

Ultimately I think as the demand for more Aladdin content grew once the movie came out, Disney leaned more on the adventure element than romance since there were so many untold stories there (and, if we're being honest with ourselves, this was being marketed more towards boys). With the current Disney Princess line taking over EVERYTHING now, if the series was made today you'd probably get more of the shippier material you're asking for as it would most assuredly feature more romance with some adventure sprinkled in. That's not to say there weren't stories to be told in their relationship/romance at the time, but all the shows you listed also don't feature a very hot and engaged couple half-living together in the mid-90s Laughing There were rules (both spoken and unspoken) and I wouldn't be surprised if Aladdin and Jasmine were subjected to more than their fair share since they occasionally got criticized for being too sexy as it was.
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with AG on this one. Out of all the Disney couples, I find Al and Jas' relationship the most developed over the franchise. Not only they matured over the years, but they were shown as an actual couple with their ups and downs. They got into arguments, but they also still loved each other nonetheless. They slowly accepted each others' flaws and both tried to become better for the other as they grew up and matured.

Remember, when they got engaged, they were still teens and only at their early 20s that they actually married. This time period is when people mature a lot both mentally and emotionally. I'm actually happy they spend this much time to actually get to know each other and see if their relationship actually works. It feels... more realistic to me in a very good way.

I'm actually glad Aladdin was more adventure-oriented, instead of romance. Nothing against romances, but they can be very "cukormázas" (don't know a good term in English for it now) when not done properly and we can see even today how easy is to make romances unrealistic and give us couples that are almost flawless, making them boring to watch and hard to get invested in them.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I google cukormázas, I get frosting for cakes and cupcakes. So I'm going to assume you mean something along the lines of too saccharine/sweet or nauseatingly sentimental Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
When I google cukormázas, I get frosting for cakes and cupcakes. So I'm going to assume you mean something along the lines of too saccharine/sweet or nauseatingly sentimental Laughing

Pretty much. Some romances can be sickeningly sweet and glad Al and Jas' romance is not like that. Laughing
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely prefer the very real take the series had on their relationship too. Both of them undergo a lot of growth and that was fun to watch. The fights were great too because real people fight and it made them way more relatable.
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ What they said

One of my favorite quotes comes from a petty drama episode:

Jasmine: As an Agrabah tradition, may I present you with the royal melon.
(Jasmine hands Uncouthma a watermelon.)
Sultan: The royal melon?
Jasmine: It is our custom for the guest to throw it at the highest window.

What are some of everybody's favorite & least favorite episodes regarding the Al/Jas relationship?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bad boyfriend moments thread around here somewhere and I think we came to the conclusion Aladdin can be kind of dense sometimes when it comes to Jasmine's feelings, but Jasmine can be unforgiving after he's done being dense Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that. I guess we can safely say both are quite strong in terms of personality and like to tug each other and, least early on.

That Stinking Feeling: pettiest episode ever, but can't help but love how they try to screw the other over. XD
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember relating to Jas in "Moonlight Madness" when she says, "Flowers? What I need is some company" because of my flaky ex.
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the royal melon hahahaha

The current series rewatch is long overdue for me and I'm sure there are plenty of great moments I've forgotten, but off the top of my head some of my favourite Al/Jas episodes are

"Eye of the Beholder" - that part where Aladdin's like "It's gonna be a long trip back to Agrabah" always gets me

"The Wind Jackals of Mozenrath" - I just love the beginning where they're working together on this top-secret dangerous mission and they even got super cool matching outfits in order to do it haha

"The Secret of Dagger Rock" - They might not spend a lot of time together in this episode, but I think it still shows the strength of their relationship. One thing I've been enjoying in the rewatching I've done so far (most notably with "Do the Rat Thing") is how Aladdin sometimes just takes Jasmine's anger in stride. Like I love how sometimes she's just super irritated with everyone and Al's just like "Yep, that's my girlfriend and I love her Very Happy" I've always loved the part in "The Secret of Dagger Rock" where Mozenrath imagines Jasmine to be crying without her man and Aladdin is just like hmm you haven't seen her angry yet have you? Very Happy His total faith that Jasmine is gonna come get him and tear Mozenrath apart is beautiful hahaha

"Riders Redux" - I desperately need to watch this one again, it used to be my very favourite episode and now I can barely remember it, but I always loved the part where Jasmine decides she trusts Aladdin even when all the advisors are telling her she shouldn't.

"Raiders of the Lost Shark" - "Some things are worth more than treasure!" so dramatic, I love it
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arisha wrote:
I LOVE the royal melon hahahaha

The current series rewatch is long overdue for me and I'm sure there are plenty of great moments I've forgotten, but off the top of my head some of my favourite Al/Jas episodes are

"Eye of the Beholder" - that part where Aladdin's like "It's gonna be a long trip back to Agrabah" always gets me

"The Wind Jackals of Mozenrath" - I just love the beginning where they're working together on this top-secret dangerous mission and they even got super cool matching outfits in order to do it haha

"The Secret of Dagger Rock" - They might not spend a lot of time together in this episode, but I think it still shows the strength of their relationship. One thing I've been enjoying in the rewatching I've done so far (most notably with "Do the Rat Thing") is how Aladdin sometimes just takes Jasmine's anger in stride. Like I love how sometimes she's just super irritated with everyone and Al's just like "Yep, that's my girlfriend and I love her Very Happy" I've always loved the part in "The Secret of Dagger Rock" where Mozenrath imagines Jasmine to be crying without her man and Aladdin is just like hmm you haven't seen her angry yet have you? Very Happy His total faith that Jasmine is gonna come get him and tear Mozenrath apart is beautiful hahaha

"Riders Redux" - I desperately need to watch this one again, it used to be my very favourite episode and now I can barely remember it, but I always loved the part where Jasmine decides she trusts Aladdin even when all the advisors are telling her she shouldn't.

"Raiders of the Lost Shark" - "Some things are worth more than treasure!" so dramatic, I love it

Ughhhh yes to all of this.

After "It's gonna be a long trip back to Agrabah," Jasmine says "but you'll never-" and he interrupts to say "I'll never leave you" *sobs*

I remember thinking that episode was over-dramatic as a kid, but I grew to really like it.

"Riders Redux" was my #1 as a kid. It was the most Jasmine-centric one that I didn't have on VHS, and I died every time I was lucky enough to catch it airing. My fav part was how Aladdin literally stopped time to rescue her. Also when Jasmine sets Aladdin free and he's getting bossy and she's all - "yeahhh I'm setting you free and all but plz stfu literally so done" Laughing
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye of the Beholder was quite touching. I loved how how Mirage challenged their love by cursing Jasmine and even at the end she destroyed the only way to cure her (Mirage was sure desperate to prove love is weak).

Even with Jasmine giving up hope due to all the stuff happening in that episode, Aladdin not only remained with her all the time, but he was willing to curse himself as well, just to be with Jasmine forever. That just gets me in a good way and to me really showed just how much they love each other.

Yes I would normally consider that cukormázas, but for this episode and what it tried to achieve, it was fitting and really worked imo.
arisha
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
"Riders Redux" was my #1 as a kid. It was the most Jasmine-centric one that I didn't have on VHS, and I died every time I was lucky enough to catch it airing. My fav part was how Aladdin literally stopped time to rescue her. Also when Jasmine sets Aladdin free and he's getting bossy and she's all - "yeahhh I'm setting you free and all but plz stfu literally so done" Laughing

WHAT I don't think I've ever seen anyone else express any interest in that episode, never mind claiming it as their (childhood) favourite episode!! This is awesome Very Happy

And yes that part is great haha

I think I really loved that episode because of the whole ~this person that you love might be hiding their true identity from you~ storyline. I find fictional situations like that to be really dramatic and enjoyable to watch unfold. (Well, in certain cases at least.) I mean I think this is a major reason why Aladdin is my favourite Disney movie. Very Happy
AladdinJasmine4ever
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders Of The Lost Shark A lot of physical body language. "Jasmine is worth more than treasure"

Lost And Founded Al & Jas go into the past and meet the founders of Agrabah. He discusses his plans to make a market. Al and Jas smile at each other because they know one day they'll meet there.

Bad Mood Rising
Aladdin is depressed without Jasmine

Strike Up the Sand "I like you too Sadira... but I love Jasmine."

Forget Me Lots Aladdin forgets their first date. Jasmine is under a blue flower forgetful spell. Aladdin reminds her of who she is.

Sandswitch In the altered reality, Aladdin and Jasmine never even met. Despite that, once they locked eyes with each other, they both felt a spark. Goes to show just how deep their love for each other really is.

Eye of the Beholder Aladdin becomes a snake for Jasmine. This was my all time favorite Aladdin and Jasmine moment. Aladdin and Jasmine both share a love of humanity. They both fed the impoverished children. They both want to help the less fortunate and make the world a better place. They are heroes. For Aladdin to forsake his humanity to be with Jasmine... it was the biggest sacrifice ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum